S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Moving from 944na to S2k

Old 08-13-2006, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving from 944na to S2k

Its my first post and I'm a newbie to the S2K - trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can.

My beloved 85.5 944na sold this morning and I'm making ready to quickly close on a new S2k (either lease or buy - haven't decided)

I've driven the S2k twice now and will drive a few more times to be sure this is the right car. I was leaning towards a boxster s, but I really want an 05 and will have to wait on pricing and rates a little longer.

Regarding the S2k - I am really impressed by the technology and purpose purity of the car. The mild nature of the car, out of VTEC does not bother me for around town driving - my daily commute is about 12 miles, mostly highway.

Spirited driving in VTEC is completely fun and I like the beastly nature of the car in that mode too.

I cant help but draw some comparisions to the 944. Firstly, the front of the cars are similar with their wide fender flares - I love the styling.

Second, I cant help but think that if the 944 were built today as a normally aspirated it would be built the same way. Intake improvements, aggressive cam/VVT, and world-class suspension. The S2k has all this and more - including the slickest gearbox I have ever shifted, torsen LSD and stability control.

Reassure me guys, that this car will be all the fun my 944 was as a driving experience, as well as, afford me the opportunity to contunue to service and wrench on my own car (as much as a new car would require).
Old 08-13-2006, 10:10 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

While I've never driven a 944 I'd have to guess the S2000 is more fun to drive and probably more reliable.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:13 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The main difference between a 944 and a S2000 is going to be....

2000 - 944 = 1056

Whatever that means.

[QUOTE]The S2k has all this and more - .....
Old 08-13-2006, 10:13 AM

i think that youll enjoy it alot no doubt about it. as far a wrenching on your own car im not so sure. i myslef cant change a flat tire on a 10 speed bike so im not the best one to ask. as far as driving experience however i think that what your first experiences are pretty indicitive of what you will expereince while ownig such a car. i think actually it gets better as time goes on.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS,Aug 13 2006, 11:13 AM

2000 - 944 = 1056

Whatever that means.

Didn't you just reassured yourself?
You have driven both cars, you know best
On the wrenching part you will be dissapointed => It's a Honda => reliable
There are lots of DIY threads about maintenance inhere.

SpitfireS, you're always make me laugh with your responds. You makes this forum more fun than before.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS,Aug 13 2006, 10:13 AM

2000 - 944 = 1056

Whatever that means.

Didn't you just reassured yourself?
You have driven both cars, you know best
On the wrenching part you will be dissapointed => It's a Honda => reliable
There are lots of DIY threads about maintenance inhere.
com'on, i'm being serious.
i'm giving up my old school ride. A buddy of mine and I almost bought matching matching cars almost 20 years ago. That tells you my age.

Now cut the crap and give me some impressions.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by fezz,Aug 13 2006, 12:15 PM
Its my first post and I'm a newbie to the S2K - trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can.

My beloved 85.5 944na sold this morning and I'm making ready to quickly close on a new S2k (either lease or buy - haven't decided)

I've driven the S2k twice now and will drive a few more times to be sure this is the right car. I was leaning towards a boxster s, but I really want an 05 and will have to wait on pricing and rates a little longer.

Regarding the S2k - I am really impressed by the technology and purpose purity of the car. The mild nature of the car, out of VTEC does not bother me for around town driving - my daily commute is about 12 miles, mostly highway.

Spirited driving in VTEC is completely fun and I like the beastly nature of the car in that mode too.

I cant help but draw some comparisions to the 944. Firstly, the front of the cars are similar with their wide fender flares - I love the styling.

Second, I cant help but think that if the 944 were built today as a normally aspirated it would be built the same way. Intake improvements, aggressive cam/VVT, and world-class suspension. The S2k has all this and more - including the slickest gearbox I have ever shifted, torsen LSD and stability control.

Reassure me guys, that this car will be all the fun my 944 was as a driving experience, as well as, afford me the opportunity to contunue to service and wrench on my own car (as much as a new car would require).
Youll like it.

I had a 944 Turbo years ago and the S is very similar from a handling perspective. The 944 will be a tad softer, feel heavier and more solid, but the S is significantly faster than an NA 944.

Go for it, you wont be disapointed.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:13 PM

Received 203 Likes on 140 Posts

I had a 944T too - the S is like driving the 944 on a caffeine high - everything is lighter to the touch, including the heavy clutch and the shifter, and the rpms need to be kept high, where the 944's were usually low.

I originally had the S and the Porsche, but the S is so great, I got rid of the 944. I had to budget about $2k a year for repairs on the Porsche to keep it in top shape. The S costs nothing - just oil changes, and the intervals are double what the Porsche cost.

The Porsche is great, but you made a good choice.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:08 PM

just what I want to hear and exactly what I want.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:55 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

fezz Posted on Aug 13 2006, 09:12 PM
Now cut the crap and give me some impressions.
fezz Posted on Aug 14 2006, 12:08 AM
just what I want to hear and exactly what I want.

You came here to hear what you want to hear?
Or for some honest impressions?

You have sold your old school ride and the $$ are burning in your pocket, aren't they?
Now go and but yourself a Berlina MY00 S2000 (ask for service history! & owners manual) and you will get the 9000 rpm redline, lots of pure car, just carpet on the center console (I mean.. carpet! ) and it will drive like the wind.
Get the OEM Potenza's S-02 before summer ends, get a UK-spec allignment and you will never even want that Boxster, even if they give it to you.

How's that for impressions?
Because that is how I feel about my S2000 now.
The change in final drive also made a huge impact, that is some nice wrenching project for you to look forward to.

Quick Reply: Moving from 944na to S2k