S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Moving from dual to single... a wise move?

Old 11-27-2003, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some say moving from dual to single exhaust system setup is a wise move for the S with an inline four engine. What are the advantages/disadvantages of doing so?

Are our exhaust systems a true dual setup or they are made for the looks only?
Old 11-27-2003, 09:21 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well the only disadvantage I see from going dual to single is just loudness and that the left side exhaust cut out will still be showing. Rick's has a valence cap that will cover it up so it won't look as akward. Other than that single is the way to go, lightness, HP gain (minimal if any, but more then dual), and IMO less drony. Myself, I chose dual because of the way it looks, and the price I got my exhaust for.

Our exhaust really isn't a real dual setup, if you look at the piping, there's a Y after the resonator splitting the exhaust in two.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by fly_S2K
Well the only disadvantage I see from going dual to single is just loudness and that the left side exhaust cut out will still be showing. Rick's has a valence cap that will cover it up so it won't look as akward. Other than that single is the way to go, lightness, HP gain (minimal if any, but more then dual), and IMO less drony. Myself, I chose dual because of the way it looks, and the price I got my exhaust for.

Our exhaust really isn't a real dual setup, if you look at the piping, there's a Y after the resonator splitting the exhaust in two.
So.. the issue of loudness eh?

How loud is Spoon N1 compared to other single/dual setup such as Amuse, Invidia, HKS, J's Racing N1....etc. ? Can somone please make a scale from the loudest to the most quiet on the exhaust systems available for the S2000?

thx
Old 11-27-2003, 09:30 AM

I haven't heard the Spoon N1 before so I can't judge, but hearing what others have said...it's LOUD. I have the Invidia Dual exhaust and its quite loud. A few other Houston people have the J's N1 and it's equal to or less loud as the invidia. I've also heard the HKS and it's pretty quiet. From what others have said the Amuse is pretty quiet also.

Here's my scale: (top to bottom = quiet to loud)

HKS or Amuse
J's racing N1 or Invidia
Spoon N1
Old 11-27-2003, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

singles ive seen are usually more drone prone then duals, dunno why. They can be a bit loud but with the two that ive owned, i can safely say that the gains are noticiable at the upper part of the tach.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:33 AM

I haven't heard the Spoon N1 before so I can't judge, but hearing what others have said...it's LOUD. I have the Invidia Dual exhaust and its quite loud. A few other Houston people have the J's N1 and it's equal to or less loud as the invidia. I've also heard the HKS and it's pretty quiet. From what others have said the Amuse is pretty quiet also.

Here's my scale: (top to bottom = quiet to loud)

HKS or Amuse
J's racing N1 or Invidia
Spoon N1
woa... so the spoon n1 is even louder than Invida&HKS.... that must be deafening...

But i am still very tempted because there is a $690.00 deal on the spoon n1 /w test pipe & silencer.... shoud I get it...??? err...
Old 11-27-2003, 09:36 AM

Well I think you'll be ok since there's a silencer available. Is there anyone around you that has this exhaust, maybe you can listen/test drive it to see if you like it.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:38 AM

Well I think you'll be ok since there's a silencer available. Is there anyone around you that has this exhaust, maybe you can listen/test drive it to see if you like it.
yes... i really should. Let me try post something in the regional forum. Thanks for the suggestion~
Old 11-27-2003, 09:39 AM

Glad I could help.
Old 11-27-2003, 10:10 AM

As long as you keep the cat, the Spoon N1 is not too loud. It just drones. It's about the same as the J's N1.

At high RPM though, there is the signature Spoon sound, which is very nice.

Quick Reply: Moving from dual to single... a wise move?