S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Moving to Guam

Old 06-11-2014, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Guam

I'll be moving to Guam very soon, and am contemplating whether I should keep the S. I’ve been living in Germany for last four years, and have enjoyed the no speed limit autobahn, nurburgring, nice twisties all over Europe. Come to find out, the legal speed limit in Guam is only 45 mph. I won’t even be able top her out in 2nd!!!! It makes me wonder if it’ll be worth keeping the car.

I foresee the change in life style. Spending much time on beaches, sunny weather, scuba diving, etc.. I think of maybe owning a Jeep when I see that picture, not necessarily a small two seater pocket rocket.

Keeping the S and getting a cheap second car to haul stuff around is also an option, but looking at stuff in Guam makes me think the S is not an optimal choice of car (ever been to a place where there’s absolutely no place to go fast, yet saw some crazy Italian exotic parked somewhere?).
I’m single with a dog; I’ve been with S2000 for eight years now and I can’t believe I’m actually thinking about letting the S go, but it’s been on my mind.

What do you guys think?
Old 06-11-2014, 07:03 PM

Received 1,555 Likes on 924 Posts

It seems Uncle Sam is going to pick up the tab for you. I have been to Guam and the weather there is conducive to top down driving. My big worry would be about some idiot hitting you. I can assure you the mentality of the locals is something to see to believe.

That all being said, if you like the car and can see yourself driving it when you get orders to some other place, probably back to CONUS, keep it. I have a feeling that you will be one of those guys who will always lament selling the car and lust after getting another at some point in the future.

Keep it. You really don't sell the car, you just loose your turn.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:46 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Two words: Keep It!
Old 06-12-2014, 03:50 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

It looks like there are roads to drive on there, and a Honda dealer. What's not to like?
Old 06-12-2014, 05:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If nothing else, I would go with your second option of storing the S and getting a Jeep or perhaps a WRX for daily driving. The S is something you will miss down the road and they will become harder to find as the years progress.

But most importantly, think about your financial situation and how long you will be in Guam.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:38 PM

I heard cars gets rusted really fast in Guam. Should I be worried?
It won't be easy to keep it maintained.

How many of you here are non asian and still think the car will be cool in ...say 10 years?
Old 06-23-2014, 08:24 AM

keep it and bring it over. theres only about 7 or so s2ks on island so you'll be turning alot of heads when driving. theres an active community of car enthusiasts that hold car meets, shows, bbqs, and cruises throughout the year. even though the speed limit is 35mph, you'll still get alot of open road/backroads to burn some rubber, along with some tight and wide uphill/downhill mountain passes around the southern half of the island if you like to touge. heres a site to give you an idea of the car culture in guam. http://hafadaze.com/
Old 06-24-2014, 08:46 PM

I lived there two years with the Navy. It is tropical and rust rusts. Typhoon season from July to December with daily rain. Military housing doesn't usually gave garages. Getting parts on old cars can be a problem. Do you want your car shipped in a container ship? Folks often buy 'boonie' cars while on the island. Keep your car in storage and get a boonie car.
Best of luck.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:21 AM

I wasn't sure if you guys actually have back roads where I can open her up every now and then. So that's good to hear. How are the shops around there in case I need any major work done?

@Bogeyshooter: So.. I'm assuming having the car shipped on a ship container isn't a good thing??
Old 06-26-2014, 06:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cosmomiller is right, another down side is that the max speed limit that I found on the island was 35. The locals dont really like white or military dudes from my observations... but since I take it you are asian, you should be fine. I do not recall if there was a Honda on island so definitely stock up on some wear parts and get a Ballade TCT for when your OEM one goes bad.

Not really much along the lines of back roads to open up, there are a couple small stretches but the locals often act like civillian traffic police, as in they will drive side by side in a 35 doing 20. If hot weather doesnt bother you then the island is absolutely beautiful and perfect for alot of top down driving and cruising, especially the strip in Tumon and Haganata.

Cost of living and general goods are significantly more expensive out there too, my guess is from shipping costs.

Aside from the island being a complete sausage fest, due to military presence, its a really great place... so bring your own woman if you need female companionship. Seriously, men dramatically out number women by a staggering amount! I worked there with another S2000 owner from Cali

Quick Reply: Moving to Guam