S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Must have snow tires?

Old 06-15-2004, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Must have snow tires?

I recently leased an S2000 and I'm loving it. AFTER I signed the papers the salesperson told me that I'd definitely have to get snow tires starting around November (I live in Chicago). That's going to be a hassle for me, because I live in an apartment and have no place to store the present tires. I'm thinking that maybe I should just get some all-weather tires on, and not have to deal with the espense and hassle of a biannual change. There are only 4-5 days a year where one really has to cope with snow on the road here (the snow removal is excellent up here). As a matter of fact, I had a Miata for 9 years prior to this car, and made it through by simply by driving very carefully and somewhat slowly on the snow/slush days. I gather this isn't possible with the S. Would all-weather tires be OK, or do I have to get legitimate snow tires? Thanks for any help.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:41 PM

if u good at driving allseasons r fine in winter

but in summer u gonna cry

and what u gonna do to your almost new RE730s?
Old 06-16-2004, 04:18 AM

I would really recommend you consider the full-winter tires. While I'm sure "u good at driving", I don't agree that "allseasons r fine in winter". The S2000 is a fairly powerful rear-drive sports car in which oversteer is easily instigated (remember that slight rear weight bias!), especially on low-grip surfaces.
Simply put, with the money you are putting into driving this car, and especially the possible repair costs, it's worth giving yourself every bit of margin when the snow starts to fall. I put my first-ever winter tires on the S, and was thankful for it every time the snow started to fall. You'll feel the same way!
Old 06-16-2004, 05:37 AM

I put Dunlop SP5000's on mine last year for the winter since it doesn't snow as often here as in Chi-town and they did fairly well in the snow and in dry conditions they performed admirably. Of course they don't stick like the S02's, but outside of R compounds what does? I've actually gotten comfortable with using them all year since they are better in the rain and S02's are hard to find at times.

This said, I will probably get Blizzaks next time for peace of mind. Even though some all seasons will get you through, you have to be more cautious than you'd like to be.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:47 AM

I don't have snow tires but I do have a beater. So if I was you I'd get snow tires.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:44 AM

You'll need the snows. There's relatively few days here when there's lots of snow on the roads too but the car WILL be useless on those days. Let's put it this way, it took me 45 minutes to get my car out of the driveway with the SO2s on it and it's downhill.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:54 AM

I'd say get the Blizzacks for winter, find a friend or family member that can hold on to your RE050s for you, or rent a storage place.

That's if you're new to the car. Some people who have a lot of experience with lightweight, rear-wheel drive cars (or trucks, like the S10 for that matter), will know how to handle the car and could pull it off. A lot of them still opt for the snow tires though for the xtra piece of mind.

You'll still have to be careful either way.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by CBarb
That's going to be a hassle for me, because I live in an apartment and have no place to store the present tires.
Stack a front on a rear at each end of your couch. Cover with plywood and a sheet. Presto! Instant end tables.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:00 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Destro
Old 06-16-2004, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

separate summer tires and separate snow tires are a must in my books.. there is no in between

I've driven 2 different s2000's during winters, on diff tires and it will be my last winter driving this car

all seasons are not made to be put on this car..

just my $.02

Quick Reply: Must have snow tires?