S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

MY '02?

Old 03-18-2001, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently the owner of a '97 Ford Mustang GT and am considering a trade-in on an S2000, but I want to wait to buy if I can, depending on when the last year of production will be. If this is the last year for them, then I want to buy now to avoid inflated prices, otherwise I'll just wait.

On that note I was at the Columbus Auto Show yesterday 3/18 and I asked one of the reps there if they could 100% gaurantee me that this was the last year for production. They said they could. I asked them how they knew and they told me "Honda told them".....good answer, good answer. Of course, I don't believe what he told me. He looked to be some teenage kid that was just sitting in as part time help and didn't exactly strike me as a fountain of knowledge.

I know that a lot of MY '00 owners were duped into buying by dealers telling this same story a year ago and what I would like to try when I go to the dealer is this: First off, ask the dealer "Is this the last year of production and can you guarantee that?". If they say yes, then I'm going to pull out my pre-drawn up contract that specifies they are guaranteeing this is the last year for production, or they'll pay me half of the value I pay for the car($16,000) if production of a '02 model occurs. Of course I'd make it a legally binding contract, with witness signing and notarized. How many dealers out there do you think would agree to this? Are there any in this forum that would? Does anybody think this is a good idea?
Old 03-18-2001, 03:52 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The last year of production was 2000. All S's since are actually Civic's in body kits.
Old 03-18-2001, 03:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice one, Aus!

No, the bottom line is that no one knows. I have a little insider information from a certain person that shall remain nameless, but I can't really say until I ask him if it's OK.

But the car will never have big yearly production numbers. Tochigi is a small output plant and just doesn't have the capacity to make a ton of cars every year. As for now, Honda is being pretty tight lipped about the whole thing.

Either way, nice to know that you may be joining the club...make sure to post what you decide to do!

Old 03-18-2001, 03:58 PM

Yes, and my mustang actually has 260 live, galloping horses under it's hood.....funny Aus
Old 03-18-2001, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by Whoop-jack
Yes, and my mustang actually has 260 live, galloping horses under it's hood.....funny Aus
shouldn't that be 261... The one on the grille counts too, right?

I dont think ANY dealership would sign a contract like that. The salesdork might lead you to believe they would, but the manager most certainly would say NO...

As for the last year of production, are you buying this car as an investment?

If so, I think there are better things to buy as investments...

maybe many many years down the road, the S will begin going back up in value... but I highly doubt it.

As for the last year of it... nobody knows, but a fair guess is a 4 year model run... 2000, 01,02,03....

good luck on your decision... hope to welcome you to the club...
Old 03-18-2001, 08:38 PM

our favorite rumour...
as you might imagine it's been discussed a bit. to date concensus is that it's a dealer instigated justification for price gouging.
some past discussion in case you want some light reading:
typer's 'stop production in 01' thread,
a brief discussion on the topic,
a longer discussion,
and an even longer one.
these are just 4 of the 11 and counting threads discussing this rumour that have been started in the last 3 months.
Old 03-18-2001, 08:43 PM

oops, just realized that its a 97...

so thats like 215 or 225hp depending on the year and how they rated it...

I guess its actually 216 or 226 becaue of the one in the grille

Originally posted by Whoop-jack
Old 03-18-2001, 09:19 PM

Actually I did a few mods, so it really is around 260 + 1 on the grill I'm looking to buy the S2000 simply for fun. Definitely NOT as an investment. Anybody that buys cars as an investment is as crazy as people who bought internet stocks a year and a half ago.

The only reason it matters to me which year is the last for production is because I can buy now and be hurtin a little in the wallet, but avoid a possible inflation in price if they're not produced next year. If they're going to be produced again next year, I can wait and probably pay down the whole car, without any financing. Basically I could save money now by avoiding exclusivity inflation, or I can save some money later by avoiding financing. I don't know if I made it very clear, but do you see my point?
Old 03-18-2001, 09:26 PM

yep, see your point...

if you like red/black, a guy in New England has a 2000 with like 3500 miles...

his price is very reasonable... lighten the wallet and you will own the first year of the S2000... the one that celebrates Honda's 50th year...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Whoop-jack
[B]
Old 03-22-2001, 12:04 PM

I spoke with a rep at American Honda and he stated that this is not the last MY. He said that this is the last year for the Prelude though.

Take it for what it is worth!

Quick Reply: MY '02?