S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Is my dealer full of it? Seat belt recall question

Old 02-09-2001, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

T-P
Now we have new information here, you have purchased cars from him in the past, entirely different senerio from some guy he doesn't know that went 150 miles or whatever to save a few bucks, regardless of the safety issue. I'm now on your side and you should be irritated, but i'm not sure I would want him to work on my Stook.
Mark
Old 02-09-2001, 04:21 PM

All Honda Dealers are required to do Honda warranty and recall work REGARDLESS of where a car was purchased.

In addition, service and used car sales are the most profitable departments at dealership. New car sales are usually a low profit business (S2Ks are a rare exception). Warranty work is usually less profitable than regular service/repair work, but only in rare cases would a warranty job lose money for the dealership.
Old 02-09-2001, 04:26 PM

regardless of any purchases made at any dealer, it's their duty of taking care of any recalls made by the manufacturer, period. i would make that phone call to his DM asap. there is no place for such crapy customer service IMO.
Old 02-09-2001, 04:29 PM

oh, btw, make sure you don't take your car there after the phone call.
Old 02-09-2001, 07:42 PM
Tox

[QUOTE]Originally posted by turbo_pwr
[B]...So when I called the closest dealer he refused to do it because I did not purchase from him.
Old 02-09-2001, 08:44 PM

I got my recall done at a different dealer than where I bought it. I got only the best service. Also did a TSB (which I dought that they HAVE to do like a safety recall). If the business is smart, they should try to intice you to come back for as much service work as possible (more business), even if it takes waisting a few hours of labor on doing the recall work.

With their attitude, I'd also be leary on taking it to them. Who knows what fasteners they will leave off.
Old 02-09-2001, 09:53 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by turbo_pwr
[B]I called to make an appointment to get my seat belt recall done today.
Old 02-10-2001, 12:44 AM

The dealers, although obligated to do the work, are probably less than thrilled to have to. I've heard that the hours that American Honda calculated to do the job have been underestimated, and the dealers get screwed on the labor. This could be the reason the dealer in question tried to blow you off. This certainly does not excuse the dealer's behavior, but perhaps explains it.
Old 02-10-2001, 05:57 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by drmark
[B]You seem to think you've been ill-used or not appreciated.
Old 02-10-2001, 05:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

According to my copy of the TSB, it pays a flat rate of 2.4 hours. It certainly takes longer than this, so the dealership is most likely 'losing' (I hate to use that word since they're overpaid for that type of work anyway) on the deal.

Be that as it may, they still cannot refuse to do it, even if they have to pop $1000 out of their own budget (of course, EVERYONE would refuse to do it at that point .

Quick Reply: Is my dealer full of it? Seat belt recall question