S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

My engine BLEW OFF today!!

Old 08-27-2003, 12:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also, if you hit the rev limiter on other occasions, while it may not have done damage immediately, it could have set it up for future premature failure. The rev limiter is into the redline isnt it? and the redline exists for a reason, I dont mean to sound like Honda, and I hope they cover you, but if you hit the rev limiter on several occasions before hand you could have possibly stretched/weakened a rod bolt or many other things.....
Old 08-27-2003, 12:55 PM

If only I would know. From what I read on this board the 'old' jet bolts applied to MY 2002 first half. I bought mine in June 2002 so I guess maybe old (?)

honda2001 - what is the limiter there for? Like with any other car - it cuts the fuel supply in order to prevent the damage. Every modern car has this. Getting benefit of it cannot be a cause of failure. They should not have sold the car then... and I guess we would have nice reason for class action ...
Old 08-27-2003, 01:01 PM
Banned

noooo i didnt mean it like that, i was wondering what the rpms the limiter on the s2k was at, was it into the redline? yes.... it will prevent you from IMMEDIATE damage, but like on any other car, if you hit the rev limiter quite often you are stretching the rod bolts and setting the car up for premature damage, even if it does happen at 8500 rpms, thats still a lot of rpms if a rod bolt was damaged, Im just curious to see what it turns out to be..... when you said they ordered a new shortblock, did they say youd be covered? hopefully theyre not ordering one and then footing you the bill....... you can tell if yours had the old oil jet bolts by looking on the motor motors with a number 1025386 and greater have the new ones for sure, maybe even a couple before that..... Im not sure if that motor number corresponds with your vin or not, what are the last 4 digits of your VIN number?
Old 08-27-2003, 01:27 PM

No, wrong HondaS2001.

The rev limiter is supposed to PREVENT the damage, not to delay it. If what you say would be the case then let's s2k owners unite and put American Honda to bankruptcy.

The car must be designed to serve its purpose and not cause the selfdamage. The rev limiter is a part of the car. Honda would have to state very clearly that by incporporating rev limiter it intended to let you know when you hit it that you should get new engine, not that it incorporated rev limiter in order to prevent the damage.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:31 PM

Now you are living in a dream world.

I guarantee that if you bounce off the rev limiter enough times, you are going to end up with a pool of oil under your car.

Oops, I guess that is what you have.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:35 PM
Banned

and.... dont listen to what other people say "i bounce off the rev limiter all the time and nothing happens" because each motor is different.... I dont know what the rev limiter on the s2k is set at cause ive never hit it but its usually set well after redline, and once you go over redline all sorts of stuff can happen, especially if you make a habit of it, the rev limiter is there to protect you yes, but thats only on that instant, you are still stressing the motor a lot more...the rev limiter prevents you from blowing up your motor that instant, but not from over stressing parts which happens over redline.....its never OK to take a car over redline, let alone make a habit of it....
Old 08-27-2003, 01:43 PM

sjs and honda - you made me laugh guys:-). With this philosophy car manufacturers would go bankrupt soon:-). Rev limiters are there to prevent from human stupidity or just an ignorance. They are NOT there to tell you that you fxxxd up.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:45 PM
Banned

also, lets say you never hit the rev limiter but always take it right to redline and shift, its still bad, it will never be OK to do that... for example, look at the F1 cars, those engines have millions into each motor and when pushed to the max they blow up, so why wont the f20c s2k motor......I think you are more close to being right about the class action suit lol.... honda should have never made such a high revving car so isnt that why the rumored 04' 2.2 litre will not rev as high? this is also a car you cannot lend out to ANYONE, they see a high redline and they want to push it and test it... r2d2... im not disagreeing with you, I agree whole heartedly, you have the concept and the philosophy of the rev limiter correct I am not disagreeing with you.... however, you make it sound as if it is OK to constantly hit the rev limiter and will not do any damage which isnt true.....
Old 08-27-2003, 01:47 PM

R2D2

Your entire story is beginning to smell like rotten eggs.

If you are granted a warranty, you need to fall down and worship the ground that Honda walks on.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:52 PM
Banned

I agree, I hope you do get covered, and learn not to push it so hard all the time, do you agree with what I was saying before sjsharks?

Quick Reply: My engine BLEW OFF today!!