S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

My S2k NOT as GOOD as Yours??

Old 11-10-2001, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ScaperS2K
[B]

...I have tried numerous methods, and I still have the rear end slide unexpectedly.
Old 11-10-2001, 09:21 PM

Thanks, Great info guys/gals. I will be taking this beast in to another dealer for a total look over.

Also, on the top, when trying to close, it stops about 2 - 3 inches above the rubber bushing.

I do understand that driving has to be done differently between this car, and any trucks. Also, I would never try to purposely slide the car. I've tried many methods, none please me yet. But, there's only so many methods. I can feel when the car is nearly at its sliding point (which isn't much). I really don't feel comfortable about it. I know no one knows me, but I can assure that it's not just me. Funny, many of my workers say I drive everything like a race car! Meaning the way I take corners.

I do appreciate the comments so far. Remember, I am in no way bad mouthing these cars.

Curious....Is there any place in the country that works on these cars and knows them inside and out? I've got a 2-3 month vacation (landscapers winter luck), maybe I'll go visit!
Old 11-10-2001, 09:45 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ScaperS2K
[B]
Curious....Is there any place in the country that works on these cars and knows them inside and out?
Old 11-10-2001, 11:38 PM

Couple of suggestions about the handling:

1) I know that tyre-pressures are a personal thing, but when I had 32psi in my tyres then the rear felt incredibly loose. It would slide around corners at speeds that I'd barely call moderate. Try 35psi (cold) all around.

2) If your car has 'dodgy' allignment ie. toe_OUT at the rear (like mine did) then the back is very prone to sliding ... very mild slide and controlable but it seems to want to be hanging out. So, get your car allignment checked/fixed.

3) You haven't mentioned what conditions you have over there, but I can tell you that even now that I've got the allignment fixed and tyre-pressure up, it is still pretty eazy to push the back out when the surface is cold/damp (or downright wet). I can push the back out just by stepping on the gas through 40kph corners and that's while in 2nd gear (ie. way below VTEC) ... and that is while still having pretty low entry speeds. So, what are the conditions/temperatures over there like? Anyway, in particular in conditions like these I find that you can still keep the back pretty glued and generate some decent g-forces by being smooth. That is very smooth with the wheel as well as the accelerator. I find that I can floor the car around corners even in 1st gear as long as I squeeze on the power instead of being agressive with it.
Old 11-11-2001, 03:24 AM

10. My engine (not exhaust) at idle sounds like an old Chevy. Clanking, moaning, hissing, nearly like a quite deisel.
My friend rented a S2k couple months back... I had the
chance to drive it for a little while...
One thing that I like about S2k is the smooth idling... smoother
than my BMW... not anything like you described...
Old 11-11-2001, 05:04 AM

Sell the car, already!
Old 11-11-2001, 05:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say you could well have a problem car there, by the sounds of it. One of the guys on the UK board bought a Monte Carlo Blue, very recently and he's had a lot more niggly problems than most of us experience. Apart from these, he's been very disappointed with the poke he's been getting compared to his previous Integra R. which many of us couldn't understand! It transpires that there was a fault on the car which has only just been rectified by the dealer and he is now much happier with the performance. He's not elaborating on what the problem was at this stage, as he is in dispute with Honda about his problems.

Definitely insist that your dealer give this car a good going over.

For my own part I've been driving well over 30 years and have had some smokey cars in my time but this one is the best and the greatest pleasure to drive. It is well capable of turning my bowels to water long before it reaches anywhere near it's full performance potential.

On the subject of driving skills, I've attended several driving courses over the years, where myself and a number of other 'great drivers' have had our egos re-adjusted PDQ!!
Old 11-11-2001, 05:49 AM

I live near Cinci, work in Sharonville Ohio. If you have concerns, you could come by and check out my 01. Maybe switch for a quick drive sometime. I test drove a used s2000 right before I bought my 01. That thing's A$$ came out rediculously easy. My new one was significantly better. But still the rear end will slide out as the car's handling trait is oversteer rather than understeer. Most cars from the factory are understeering dogs (read: supra) for the safety of inexperienced drivers. This is good for experienced drivers because you can load up the front tires going into a corner more so than an understeering car. Definately the first thing you should check would be the tire pressure.
Old 11-11-2001, 06:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by suvh8r
[B]Most cars from the factory are understeering dogs (read: supra) for the safety of inexperienced drivers.
Old 11-11-2001, 07:21 AM

1. I have small plastic pieces falling off my convertible, one piece now presumed lost.

What pieces are you referring to? If you are talking about the sponge looking pieces at the edge of the roof, I think you're not alone.

2. My radio face only opens 1/4 inch, I have to pull it down.

This is normal on a newer car and when the weather is colder. It's just more friction in the "soft open" damping feature. It will get better with warmer weather and with use.

3. Just under the shift knob, there is a small "clamp" that holds the boot in place, mine came unlatched, and is about to stick through the leather boot. It moves around, and drives me nuts.

I think it's a zip tie of some sort but is quite normal to varying degrees. Have another owner take a look at it - otherwise, it should be covered under warranty.

4. My front bumper does not match the rest of the car (nor the back bumper). It was not wounded in delivery either I saw it come in.

Many cars have this symptom - even non-S2000's. When Honda started ramping up production, they got different schedules of painting body parts for the car. Or, your bumper may have been repainted after it got to the US based on shipping damage.

5. My car has nearly stalled out a few times while just sitting at a light.

I assume you mean not driver induced. Make sure you use good quality gas. Otherwise, there may be a TSB applicable to you on one of the sensors.

6. I don't have the normal shift problems mentioned on this site, but my dump trucks shift gears easier than this car seems to.

Let it break in a little. Treat it more gently when cold. And you have to get used to the more precise "gates". Don't rush the shifts - remember that the shifter always tries to center itself in the middle (between 3 and 4).

7. Every time I start the car after it sits, it holds its revs at 3k RPM's for a few minutes? Is that normal? Then makes some odd hiss like a ballon deflating.

This is normal - that's partly how the car gets its LEV rating.

8. My top has to be tugged horribly hard to latch it closed (I know it can be adjusted, but still).

This is normal on the newer cars - the 2000's seem to be better.

9. On about 3 occasions, I have heard an odd thump noise in the middle of the car that did not come from running over something.

There is much less sound insulation in the S2000 than other cars. Otherwise, make sure you have nothing loose in the trunk. It could also be your LSD if you were making a turn at the time.

10. My engine (not exhaust) at idle sounds like an old Chevy. Clanking, moaning, hissing, nearly like a quite deisel.

See comment for #9. And people say the S2000 does not have character/soul!

11. There are other things too, especially in the twists & turns.
What gives? I swear, my exgirlfriends new Accord seemed better.

Have an S2000 veteran drive your car for comparison. But in general, I think the S2000 just takes getting used to. It is certainly not meant to be a GT cruiser... Make sure your tire pressures are correct. Be aware that the high performance tires are not as grippy in the cold and the weight distribution of the car and the lower polar moment of inertia can make the car seem more "twitchy" in the twists and turns.

Quick Reply: My S2k NOT as GOOD as Yours??