S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Need driving tips for s2k!

Old 03-15-2006, 09:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need driving tips for s2k!

Hi

I got the s2k about 3 weeks ago, so it's still new to me. The s2k is also my first manual transmission car, and I did pretty much learn how to drive stick on this car. My problem isn't really shifting as I am getting better with it. My problem is starting from a stop. I haven't really stalled, but I am afraid to stall which leads in to my problem.

In order for me to feel comfortable to start from a stop and to not stall I have to rev the car all the way up to lik 3k-3.5k RPMs (even did 4k a few times) and slowly let my foot of the clutch. This is just to start going from a stop, I AM NOT trying to launch or race the car in ANY way. Is this causing major damage to my car?

Also today when going to work I got stuck on a slight hill and didn't use the ebrake. I didn't roll back much because I'm getting faster at moving, but I accidently reved the car to like 5.5-6k and slowly let my foot off the clutch. I could smell the clutch, and I got scared. I don't ever want to do that again. It's kind of hard to control the gas sometimes.

I have tried not reving as high but it feels like the car is about to buck and stall. I don't like stalling at all, it freaks me out (esp. coming from an auto all my life). So I'm just wondering if what I am doing is acceptable or not? How do some of you guys start going from a stop, what range of RPMs do you usually try to hit? Can you share some techniques with me?

Thanks
Old 03-15-2006, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Practice in a deserted area.

Try adding gas as you let the clutch out. Your right foot shouldn't go down, then up, then down, it should just go down as your left foot comes up. Try erring on the side of too much gas to get a better feel(in the deserted area)

Learn quickly so you don't have to buy a new clutch too soon.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:41 PM

Practise on a level surface somewhere quiet, with no throttle input. That's right, no throttle. At the point where the clutch is starting to grab (slack point), you'll have to pause/or hold it and allow to car to start moving slowly. Once it starts to get going, you can safely release the clutch all the way.

Soon, you will be able to release the clutch faster and faster even with no gas as you will get a "feel" for the slack point. Then in real situation, you'll be using just a little gas and being able to release it quickly and confidently.

Be smooth, gentle, patient and practise, practise, practise.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:43 PM

Be careful the tail end slides out. I learned what oversteer was when I first got my S2k.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:45 PM

i was in the same boat as you. i went from driving an auto rsx then to the s2. although i learned how to drive stick shift on other older vehicles, but nothing prepared me to drive the s. the first time on the road was horrible, i stalled numerous times and felt horrible because i thought i was going to win the award for burning out a clutch the fastest.

what finally helped was when i brought my car to a flat, empty area and stuck it in first. i kept my foot on the clutch while slowly releasing it to find the "catch point", where you feel the car starting to need gas to go. i did over and over until i became familiar with the amount of clutch that needed to be released. a lot of my friends reassured me that its natural to ride the clutch more so when youre starting off.

its a year later and im still learning actually! it takes practice, practice, pratice. especially for parrallel parking on inclines, haha.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Riceboi,Mar 15 2006, 10:18 PM
what range of RPMs do you usually try to hit?
I would also like to know what the general acceptable range is.

I am also fairly new to driving stick and this was also my first manual car. I do remember trying soo hard to keep it under 3k rpms before engaging in first. It gets much better with time and practice. Now I usually stay around 1500 +/- a few hundred, before engaging in first. (I know its supposed to be instant and smooth...Im still working on it)
Old 03-15-2006, 10:14 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Advice: get in touch with Hartopguy,and order a new clutch,NOW!!!
Old 03-15-2006, 10:31 PM

i was totally in the same shoe around last july

i had a problem with my right foot where i'd rev ridiculously high but i was always too scared to release my clutch while manipulating the gas pedal at the same time (didn't want to burn clutch) and i ended up stalling my car lots of times hahaha

assuming that you are currently in 1st gear, and clutch is currently depressed

1) release the clutch slowly till you feel your car begin to inch forward a bit (that's the friction point)

2) at the same time, simultaneously give it a bit of gas, and like a teeter totter, release the clutch even more till you're off of it, and press down on the gas

once you get acquainted with the friction point, u will be solid

always take your time when driving, who cares about the person behind you, they won't be replacing your clutch for you and it's not like their rushing to the hospital to deliver a kid or something, so take all the time you need in the world
Old 03-15-2006, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by paul__chen,Mar 15 2006, 11:31 PM
i was totally in the same shoe around last july

i had a problem with my right foot where i'd rev ridiculously high but i was always too scared to release my clutch while manipulating the gas pedal at the same time (didn't want to burn clutch) and i ended up stalling my car lots of times hahaha

assuming that you are currently in 1st gear, and clutch is currently depressed

1) release the clutch slowly till you feel your car begin to inch forward a bit (that's the friction point)

2) at the same time, simultaneously give it a bit of gas, and like a teeter totter, release the clutch even more till you're off of it, and press down on the gas

once you get acquainted with the friction point, u will be solid

always take your time when driving, who cares about the person behind you, they won't be replacing your clutch for you and it's not like their rushing to the hospital to deliver a kid or something, so take all the time you need in the world
yea, i agree with the point brought up about not rushing just because someone is behind you. because once you start to get nervous about it or rush through the process, thats where things go wrong.

i was honked at and even cut off for going too slow
Old 03-16-2006, 12:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for feedback guys! I will have to find the catch point then.

How long will my clutch last if I keep driving the way I do (reving to around 3k and letting clutch out slowly)?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Need driving tips for s2k!