S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Need driving tips for s2k!

Old 03-16-2006, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i usually rev to about 1.4-2000 rpms..
Old 03-16-2006, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Speedster,Mar 16 2006, 01:41 AM
Practise on a level surface somewhere quiet, with no throttle input. That's right, no throttle. At the point where the clutch is starting to grab (slack point), you'll have to pause/or hold it and allow to car to start moving slowly. Once it starts to get going, you can safely release the clutch all the way.

Soon, you will be able to release the clutch faster and faster even with no gas as you will get a "feel" for the slack point. Then in real situation, you'll be using just a little gas and being able to release it quickly and confidently.

Be smooth, gentle, patient and practise, practise, practise.
I agree, you don't want to get into the habit of reving that high

I taught my son to drive a manual in my S. We just started in a big empty industrial park and he practiced as mentioned. Since you already have the hang of it, I think this will make you more comfortable quickly.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:17 AM

No need to rev that high, only 1.2-1.4 is good enough to get it rolling.

Try to practice without gas pedal first, just let off clutch slowly untill you release it all the way and get the car moving, you will get where the friction piont is. Master this methood, then next give it a gas and faster, but still smooth and consistance, release the clutch.

S is not a good choice to learn stick in the first place, since there's little to no play in the drive train. Any imperfection input, and it shows. But, it also means the most rewardingcar to master.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

While we're on the topic, the S is also my first manual car--I've always wondered if it is ok to give it a little throttle (about 1500rpm), then let off of the clutch, as opposed to letting off of the clutch until reaching the slack point, then applying throttle.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by paul__chen,Mar 16 2006, 02:31 AM
always take your time when driving, who cares about the person behind you, they won't be replacing your clutch for you and it's not like their rushing to the hospital to deliver a kid or something, so take all the time you need in the world
That's probably the best advice anybody can give you. I would say you should intentionally stall your car so you get a feel for how much play you have, and you won't worry about it while driving because you're already accustomed to it. I've even read online that you should keep your right foot on the brake while you slowly let out the clutch so you can really feel the engagement point.

I also learned how to drive stick on this car, and once you get the hang of it I swear it's like driving a totally different monster! When learning, shifting feels boring and tiresome, but soon enough it becomes second nature, and you will have the time of your life shifting at redline.

This is a good site I looked at when learning, a quick google search will give you a lot of info
How to drive a manual transmission (stick shift) car

Originally Posted by nightcrawler7188
While we're on the topic, the S is also my first manual car--I've always wondered if it is ok to give it a little throttle (about 1500rpm), then let off of the clutch, as opposed to letting off of the clutch until reaching the slack point, then applying throttle.
That's what i'm currently doing. I don't know how good it is for the clutch, but I like taking off from a stop pretty fast, so I don't think just giving it enough gas not to stall will do the trick.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:38 AM

You just need to practice in a parking lot until you get good at it. Letting the clutch out slowly at higher rpms is really bad for it. And I don't kno what you guys are talking about with not using the gas. I only do that when I first start my cars and the rpms are already above 1k. You gotta get used to letting the clutch out, about half way, then you feel it start to engage and this is when you slowly start giving it gas. Have to make it a very fluid motion.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Practice and time in the car is all you need.

I am experienced driving a manual.

However my first day with the S2k i was taking off at 2.5k rpms.

Couple hours later i was at 1.5-2k rpms.

Now I can take off at 1k rpm or right before she will get the low rev shakes. :-)

Just takes time.

Oh yeah, and i'm able to shift fast without the delay valve kicking in.

Practice, practice, practice and do it driving slow.

Also please treat the shifter gently.

Your only moving it a few inches. No need to slam it.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:54 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

All great advice!!!
Only thing I would suggest is to drive barefoot while you're learning the clutch. I learned this way from my Dad when I was 16 (I'm 48 now) and I've taught my kids and a few others how to drive a stick and every time they tried it without shoes they very quickly picked up the nuances the clutch is telling you as you let it out as you can really feel how it's "catching" thru bare feet --as soon as you get the hang of it and know what it feels like, you'll then feel it thru your shoes
Old 03-16-2006, 07:06 PM

Received 203 Likes on 140 Posts

I'va always liked the idea that you first simply put the car in gear, and slowly let up on the clutch without even touching the gas pedal. This way you learn when the clutch engages, and when you might want to add the gas in the future.

Later on, when you have a deft left foot, pump the gas to about 2k with your right foot, and do the same thing with your left - slowly letting the clutch out but not pushing the gas in at all.

Finally, start to give a little more gas as the clutch engages to keep the rpms around 2k. Eventually you get used to it and you can speed the whole process up.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been driving it more today and I can feel when the clutch grabs. I can now take off without reving any more than 1-2k RPMs.

Thanks Guys!

Quick Reply: Need driving tips for s2k!