S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Need help with alignment for stock AP2 DD

Old 12-14-2016, 05:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Need help with alignment for stock AP2 DD

I have a stock 04 Ap2 which is my daily driver. It currently has brand new DWS06 (my winter setup). In spring I plan to put back on my Pilot Super Sports (on their own stock rims). My car steering was feeling slight off center. i.e in order for the car to travel straight, I had to ever so slightly hold the steering to the right. Not by much but just enough to where the Honda Logo on the wheel isn't straight. I know that highways have some camber too, but I decided I needed an alignment. I went to the local Mr. Tire, which is across the street from my office. Since I only daily this car and don't plan to track or anything. I figured the average shop should be able to do a standard U.S alignment. Below are the results. The guy said the caster on the s2k can't be adjusted so it's in the red (is that true). My steering issue is still there as well. Is there something I can do to make the steering dead center (is that even possible).

I would really appreciate it if I can get some input on the below alignment. My goal is to get as close as possible to a standard U.S spec for daily driving and maximizing tire life. Top is the original. Bottom is after. How well did the shop do?

Name:  s2k%20alignment%20spec%201.jpg
Views: 2178
Size:  114.2 KB
Old 12-14-2016, 07:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Should be able to find all of your answers here including the caster adjustment: https://robrobinette.com/S2000Alignment.htm
Old 12-14-2016, 11:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say more caster 6.6 feels good as for the camber it looks good for daily driving make sure your toe in front stays 0 and the rear toe looks good
Old 12-15-2016, 06:12 AM

I have reviewed the "https://robrobinette.com/S2000Alignment.htm" before. Unfortunately I am not very mechanically inclined and there is a lot of detail in that post. It will be a while before I can fully comprehend the information provided. For now my two concerns are:

1) Should I go back to the shop and have them adjust the right caster. I know the stock spec is max 6.25 and I am at 6.0L and 6.3R. How important is it that the L and R be same or close (won't I get more tire ware). I also understand you can't adjust the caster without messing the toe and camber. Seeing as the rest of my numbers aren't too off spec. Should I be concerned about the delta in the caster. (It worries me that the shop didn't know how to adjust the caster). I plan to take the information in the robro threa and provide it to them... (hopefully it won't piss them off).

2)What can I do about my steering not centered problem. Do you all have steering wheels that are dead center. My toe setting in the front are near 0 on each side. What can I tell him to do to fix this. Can it be, that the steering itself is mounted slightly off center? Should I ask him to dial in the toe setting to force a slight left toe (wouldn't that be bad for alignment). For reference here is my steering angle at highway speed. I know it is very very slightly off. The blue line represents dead center. The green is the steering angle. Is this ok. Am I being too picky?

Name:  wheels2k.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  136.3 KB
Old 12-15-2016, 07:24 PM

Received 1,266 Likes on 958 Posts

Caster is adjustable as long as the alignment bolt is not siezed. It often is siezed. If it is siezed...I would leave your caster alone. Its fine.

If it is siezed and you want to fix it...there is some semi-substantial labour cost involved...and a small amount of parts cost.

He left -0.08 deg of toe on one side up front? What a jerk.

The steering wheel angle is likely due to:
-Him leaving some (0.6 deg) toe difference from side to side.
-Him not properly centering the steering wheel before aligning it.

You need a better alignment.

Last edited by B serious; 12-15-2016 at 07:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kasher_khan (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
Caster is adjustable as long as the alignment bolt is not siezed. It often is siezed. If it is siezed...I would leave your caster alone. Its fine.

If it is siezed and you want to fix it...there is some semi-substantial labour cost involved...and a small amount of parts cost.

He left -0.08 deg of toe on one side up front? What a jerk.

The steering wheel angle is likely due to:
-Him leaving some (0.6 deg) toe difference from side to side.
-Him not properly centering the steering wheel before aligning it.

You need a better alignment.
Thank you for your analysis. I understand what you are saying about the caster adjustment. Seeing how the shop tech isn't very competent, I won't push for them getting the caster fixed. Hopefully the delta 6 vs 6.3 is not too terrible. I'll probably go to a Honda when I put back on my summer wheel & tires and get another alignment.

Now for the steering angle issue. Are you sure you are not looking at the original numbers for the toe. The -0.08 number is the original. The new Toe settings are 0.00 and 0.02. I am not sure if the very slight difference can account for the very slight off center angle. Regardless, I plan to go over today and ask them to fix the steering. Hopefully the adjustments are tiny enough to where they can get it dialed in for the small amount of off center steering that I have. My worst nightmare is if they get it pointing the other direction by the same delta.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:18 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

My feeling is that if they knew the steering wheel angle position was an issue and didn't fix it or explain why they were not able to fix it then you would probably be best to find someone else to work on your car.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:58 AM

The steering needs to be centered by hand FIRST. Then locked into place.

Then the tech would get under the car to turn the tie rods so that both read close to 0.0.

He didn't center your wheel properly. So its off.

My mistake on the -0.08, though.

Buy a lifetime alignment so you can have it checked yearly as part of normal maintenance. I have had good luck at Firestone.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:11 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

How much does a lifetime alignment cost? My sense is that these cars are really sensitive to tires and alignment. Might be good advice.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by rpg51
How much does a lifetime alignment cost? My sense is that these cars are really sensitive to tires and alignment. Might be good advice.

IIRC, $180 when I bought one for my S2000. I've gotten them on sale for $150, though.

Quick Reply: Need help with alignment for stock AP2 DD