S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Need Help! I have thrown a Rod on my s 2000!

Old 01-21-2003, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the '01 and up models have SMG.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:27 AM

This is just another good reminder of why it pays to be fully conscious of your driving while behind the wheel of this, or any, performance car.

And for more info on BMW's SMG, check here:
http://build.bmwusa.com/yourbmw/detail/mse...series/0793.htm
I believe it is currently only available as an option on the M3. Ferrari has a similar system which they refer to as an F1-styled or paddle-shifted gearbox.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:38 AM

Re: downshift lockouts on a manual

No way. We don't want a bunch of electronics and heavy solenoids on this tranny. The car is fine the way it is.

Maybe we should have a computer in between the steering wheel and the front wheels too.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know BMW calls it a Sequential "Manual" Gearbox but it is far from anything being "Manual". Sure you can select a manual mode but is it truly manual? Honda has an auto stick which can be said to be a sequential manual if you so select but the car is no fun to drive and I think that is what sets the S apart is the tranny.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:27 AM

BMW's SMG is in fact the same transmission and clutch as the regular manual car. There is however no clutch pedal and a computer determines shift points. You have several mode options you can select to change the points or you can manually select the gears. In laymens terms its a manual with a robot running the clutch and gearshift. It is not an automatic with a manual shift option. One interesting thing is the car had a clutch drop mode for drag style starts. This mode is now disabled in all US cars and I understand will not be available in Europe because it cased to many warranty issues via drivetrain damage. You were limited to something like 30 clutch drops for the life of the car when it was available. The computer kept track of the total. Something to think about the next time you want to drop the clutch in your S2000.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by Phase II If they do not cover the motor check out this website they offer a used F20C for 4500 dollars much less than the 18K the dealer wants... http://www.hmotorsonline.com/
Import Builders will sell you an entire short block w/ custom pistons, rods, etc. for $5k. You'd end up w/ a stronger engine as well.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:49 PM

Seems to me a significant amount of Honda owners aren't paying enough attention when racing. The Honda S2000 and RSX both have close shift patterns, and this seems like n00bs not shifting properly.

There was a problem with the M3 transmission twisting, thereby causing a missed downshift, but I haven't heard about anything like that with Honda's. I don't think they make enough power to cause that either (not to knock Honda's, but the M3 just produces more power horsepower and twice as much torque).

Everyone's seen the video of the asian kid ing up his downshift in his brand new RSX-S. This just seems like another case of it.

I remember when a friend of mine was learning to drive stickshift on a brand new LS1. It's so damn clunky and tough to change gears, and here's this 140lb boney kid trying to do it. He had to leverage himself with the steering wheel, which resulted in him swerving everytime he raced.

I power shifted my friends S2000.. my fat American white male foot didn't clear the resting pedal on the left of the clutch and I made a nice grinding noise. No one's perfect. We just need to pay better attention to prevent costly accidents.

I still want an S2000 though. :-) And a 350Z. And an M3. And a Harley V-Rod. oh my.

--Loco3KGT
Old 01-21-2003, 02:56 PM

I have been accelerating hard and accidentaly shifted from 3rd into 2nd twice and I very quickly put in the clutch. If I havent noticed any change in driving could there be any long term damage I dont know about?
Old 01-21-2003, 03:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Chr-2004
I have been accelerating hard and accidentaly shifted from 3rd into 2nd twice and I very quickly put in the clutch. If I havent noticed any change in driving could there be any long term damage I dont know about?
If you are idling normal and don't hear ticking sounds, you're probably ok. If you want to confirm it, go get a compression and leakdown test.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Xviper. I'm sick and tired of people insisting that someone else must be responsible for their mistakes.

I've got news for you folks: sometimes decent people do stupid things. If they're decent people, they own up to it and eventually get over it.

If I shift my 5-speed Integra into reverse instead of 4th, it will be 100% my fault, not Honda/Acura's fault. It probably won't go into reverse, but I bet it will trash the transmission if I shift hard. Yes, the car doesn't have a lockout on reverse, but most Japanese cars apparently don't. It didn't have a lockout when I bought it. I knew it didn't, and I bought it anyway.

Anyone who bought an S2000 knew that it has a shifter with very close spacings; we accepted it for what it is. To subsequently weasel out and try to divert the blame for our mistakes is, IMHO, despicable.