S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Need help on locating speed sensor. Please, anyone??

Old 12-24-2000, 04:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purchased "Speed Cut Controller" for JDM S2000. Need help to locate speed sensor. Anyone with ECU wiring diagram from electrical manual??

Please help.
Old 12-24-2000, 05:21 AM

Don't know if this is what you want but:

The ECM has a terminal A9 which is called "Vehicle Speed Input (VSS)" it goes to the Vehicle Speed Sensor via a Blue/White wire (also goes to the Gauge Assembly with a Blue/White wire).

The Speed Sensor is mounted on the Transmission on the left side. It has a 3 wire connector with Black (ground), Blue/White (Sensor output to the ECM) and Yellow/Blue (Reference Voltage).
Old 12-24-2000, 07:30 AM

Thank you so very much for your information.

Now I know that the speed sensor wire is blue/white in color. I will try to locate this (blue/white) wire on the ECM connector (I have to cut it and connect 2 wires there. As you know, the "speed cut controller" has 4 wires, 2 for power +/-, and 2 to "intercept" the VSS signal).

As for the power source, I am planning to follow the Apexi Vtec Controller diagram for the S2K (highlighted as "ignition power" on the 25p section of the ECM connector), hope it will be ok. I will let you know how it turns out.

Once again, thank you for taking the trouble to help me, it has been most appreciated.
Old 12-24-2000, 08:10 AM

Enjoy your holidays in the S2000.
Old 12-25-2000, 04:45 AM

Thanks, but looks like I won't have much fun with my S2K after what happened...

You see, I jacked the car and found the VSS connector on the transmission (left side of vehicle)as you mentioned. It has 3 wires, one blue/white and the other two brown and orange (if I recall correctly). I then located the blue/white wire on the ECU connector. For your information, it is blue/white with silver bars/strips (as I cannot find any other blue/white wires, so I'm positively sure that it is the VSS wire). So I cut it and installed the "Speed Cut Controller". After that, I stated the car (no engine check, everything was normal)and took it for a drive.

When I reached the highway, I rev-ed the car on third, up to 110km/h, and was shocked to find the engine being cut off! After that, I experienced several more cut offs from different speed ranging from 90-110km/h on various gears. It seems that the cut off is not solely related to speed but also rpm and gear positions. In addition, the A/C was not cold during this time.

I presumed that the VSS input/output wire was fixed the wrong way. So I switched the wires the other way. Unfortunately, the "engine check" light came on (the initial connection was probably correct).

Conclusively, I suspect that the wire I cut is not the VSS, but maybe some other sensor (don't know what though). I'm really lost and out of ideas right now, so your valued input and advise will be most appreciated.

With that aside, I would like to wish Mr.Bill and everyone in this forum a Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2000, 04:54 AM

Why did you mess with it in the first place?
Old 12-25-2000, 05:51 AM

Because it is limited to 180km/h (no legal speed limit here). Nobody in my country has any technical or professional knowledge of the S2K. So have to "mess with it" myself, no choice...
Old 12-25-2000, 07:01 AM

If you want to, e-mail me with a FAX number. I will take the manual to work and fax you the electrical diagrams.

wmarko3545@aol.com
Old 12-25-2000, 08:55 PM

Hey JDM, good to hear from you.
How many S2Ks are there in Indonesia? Our family was in Bali last week and my son claimed he saw one whilst we were driving through Denpasar (I was too busy concentrating on the traffic to notice)! I take it Honda is not importing them to Indonesia directly. By the way, do you drive much with the top down or mainly leave the top up to avoid all the humidity?

Old 12-25-2000, 10:38 PM

2kturkey, good to hear from you too. I see that you're from Melbourne Australia (did uni in Sydney some time ago) great place to drive an S2K! Wouldn't you agree?

As for your question, my guess is probably less than 15 units in the whole of Indonesia. I

Quick Reply: Need help on locating speed sensor. Please, anyone??