S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

need help with winter storage

Old 08-25-2003, 05:53 PM
NYC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with winter storage

I'm a new S2000 owner who lives in the northeast--don't think I'll drive my car in the snow and ice, and therefore need help with winter storage tips. Would a car cover be sufficient, or do I need to rent garage space? What about some kind of temporary carport type structure? Do I need to drain the oil, remove tires, etc? Anyone have experience they can share with me? Thanks much. NYC
Old 08-25-2003, 05:56 PM

-change the oil before storage
-put the car on jackstands to prevent the tires from deforming
-a car cover should be sufficient, go with honda since its breathable
-turn on the car once a week or so to recharge the battery

theres a lot more, but thats i remember
Old 08-27-2003, 02:01 PM
NYC

RazorV3--thanks for the tips! NYC
Old 08-27-2003, 05:55 PM

I believe there's something you should put in your gas tank to help make sure the gasoline doesn't do anything funky over the winter. I don't know what it is since we don't really need it down here.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:38 PM
Former Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

moving to s2k talk..
Old 08-27-2003, 08:00 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wickerbill
[B]I believe there's something you should put in your gas tank to help make sure the gasoline doesn't do anything funky over the winter.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by RazorV3

theres a lot more, but thats i remember
Why not just disconnect the negative battery cable. Thats what I did with my Civic. Just wondering
Old 08-27-2003, 11:45 PM

Received 325 Likes on 275 Posts

Last winter kept mine in unheated garage, would start it at least once a week, if the roads were clear i would take it for a short ride, sometimes only around the block...changed oil first thing in the spring.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:10 AM

I've put my cars in 6 month storage for years.

What RazorV3 said:

Add: Some will disconnect the batt or pull it out. Some put a trickle charge on it.
Lift the wiper blades, roll down the windows (for interior breathing), Mice traps, pulling the plugs and squirting some oil in the cylinders.

Fortunately I have been able to keep mine in an unheated garages. I just changed the oil, top off the gas tank, jack er up, crack the windows, disconnect the battery, and cover. I've had luck just reconnecting the batt, checking the oil level, firing er up and burning out the old gas. After 100 to 500 miles change all fluids.

I would not go through the trouble of starting er up every week. Starting a cold engine and shutting it down without proper warm-up is the worst thing you can do for a stored car.
If you don't start it, you will have zero wear.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:01 AM

Yes. What PWRMKR suggests is right. I strongly advise against starting your car once a week, or even driving it around the block. You'll do more harm than good that way. Just don't do it. If you insist on driving your car in the winter, be sure to warm up the car thoroughly by driving it at least 20-30 minutes (vs. just running the engine in the garage for that time). The best thing is to put the battery on a 2-amp trickle charger (in or out of the car).

Here's some other stuff to do: Fill the gas tank. Change the oil and filter. Add fuel stabilizer if you want to. Squirt some oil in the cylinders if you want to (I don't think that is really necessary). Wash and wax the car. Put an open container of kitty litter or some such dessicant material inside (to keep the air dryer in there). Jack the car up if you want to, or otherwise pump the tires up to a higher psi to minimize flat-spotting. Crack the windows. Lift the wipers if you want to (or just plan on buying some new inserts in the Spring). Cover the car with a good quality cover. Walk away and hope for an early Spring.

Quick Reply: need help with winter storage