S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Need Opinions on my resale value

Old 11-28-2016, 07:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Opinions on my resale value

So I bought MY04 back in 2008 in Tucson Arizona. It's registered rebuilt title (in both AZ & PA) & had 24k miles on it, some minor scratches & one dent on the passenger side door sill. It also had a small tear in the roof at drivers side. I moved back to PA & the car has great, no issues whatsoever. It now sits at 133k miles. I love the car but I really want to get something newer & more practical for my family. My issue is the small tear in the top morphed into the usual 4 corner rips & they are substantial. I have patched them but any moment of the top seems to screw them up. Before I sell my car I want to either replace the soft top or replace it with a hardtop. Which do you think would be better for resale value? Would either yield a return in the end. I'm hoping to get something for the car to help with my down payment on a newer car. Obviously the rebuilt title scares people away & the current soft top issues would most likely make it undesirable to the normal s2000 lover.

After going through the process to purchase the Forbidden Hard Top, I notices it will be $2100 shipped. That's a lot for something that could have fitment issues. I could buyt a soft top & pay for install for less than that. I have found this soft top & I'm wondering your thoughts

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ACSPCWC7LEGR7

Last edited by project2k4; 11-28-2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:03 AM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

the buyer will hammer on your price if you don't have the soft top fixed. any top that isn't OEM (or genuine spoon etc) they'll hammer you on the price. Plus, you still have to buy the hard top install hardware.

regardless, they'll talk you down given the salvage title as mentioned above.

I would place the value of a new soft top at about $800-$1000 on the price and would expect that consideration if I was buying it with the current top.

good luck
darcy
Old 11-28-2016, 09:57 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

If it's an obvious tear which it sounds like you have several expect to be haggled about it...repair the top then all you can be haggled about is the title and the dents. I would fix the top and add $1,000 to your price, easier to sell I expect.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:17 PM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

+1 on all comments.
I just bought mine - the soft top was the first thing I looked at for tears.
I'd also replace your worn top with another soft top. The majority of your potential buyers will be looking for a convertible.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you had a lower mileage clean title car then replacing the top would be a no brainer, but because you are selling a salvage title car your potential buyers are people who are looking to cut costs. You might be better to keep the selling price of the car low to attract the most potential buyers, you may find that someone is willing to source a used top on the cheap and install it themselves, or someone who is planning on gutting the soft top and putting a hard top on the car.

Were you planning on installing the top yourself or having a shop do it? This will make a big difference in your cost.

Also, if you can wait until late spring/early summer to sell the car I expect you will probably get a bit more for it, and the torn top might be less of an issue for some buyers because they wouldn't have to rush to fix it.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:04 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

I'm thinking the car isn't worth selling. Certainly not now. It's a summer car and summer is over here until April despite trying to hang on the past couple of weeks. Salvage title. Dents and scratches. Torn roof. These all add up to indifferent maintenance and ownership to buyers. 130,000 miles doesn't help either. I'm guessing there are also maybe curbed wheels and worn tires and the engine bay is filthy and rusty? More evidence of indifferent ownership. I doubt a hard top will make the car saleable and maybe not even a new fabric top.

The car will sell but you need to price it very low. A new roof may not increase the value enough to pay for it but I think it's necessary.

-- Chuck
Old 11-30-2016, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by AlivingLegend
If you had a lower mileage clean title car then replacing the top would be a no brainer, but because you are selling a salvage title car your potential buyers are people who are looking to cut costs. You might be better to keep the selling price of the car low to attract the most potential buyers, you may find that someone is willing to source a used top on the cheap and install it themselves, or someone who is planning on gutting the soft top and putting a hard top on the car.

Were you planning on installing the top yourself or having a shop do it? This will make a big difference in your cost.

Also, if you can wait until late spring/early summer to sell the car I expect you will probably get a bit more for it, and the torn top might be less of an issue for some buyers because they wouldn't have to rush to fix it.
I went ahead and purchased a new soft top from Robbins. Going to do the install myself. While it seems daunting, I think the opportunity cost is worth less than a shop install. The price will certainly be low & I will be waiting until spring time to put it up. Just wanted to get some opinions & ideas.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I'm thinking the car isn't worth selling. Certainly not now. It's a summer car and summer is over here until April despite trying to hang on the past couple of weeks. Salvage title. Dents and scratches. Torn roof. These all add up to indifferent maintenance and ownership to buyers. 130,000 miles doesn't help either. I'm guessing there are also maybe curbed wheels and worn tires and the engine bay is filthy and rusty? More evidence of indifferent ownership. I doubt a hard top will make the car saleable and maybe not even a new fabric top.

The car will sell but you need to price it very low. A new roof may not increase the value enough to pay for it but I think it's necessary.

-- Chuck
Yes, I'm not selling it right this moment, just getting some opinions. At this point, keep it or sell it, the top needs to be taken care of. Aside from the top, it's not apparent this car has a salvage title. Rims are good...two sets. New Hankook RS3 on the summer & Bizzaks on the winter. The ownership isn't indifferent...