S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New '03 or New '04; I must decide today.... some help?

Old 11-29-2003, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New '03 or New '04; I must decide today.... some help?

Hey everyone. Ive lurked around this forum for about a year now. I've read through just about every topic =D.

Anyhow, I'm finaly purchasing an S2000 within the next two days. It's come down to a new '03 or a new '04. I can't seem to decide on which car to get. I do think the "feeling" of the F20 is gone with the F22, at least, I didnt feel the rush in the '04 test drive that I felt in the '03. I do prefer the styling cues of the '03... but the interior on the '04 seems a lot nicer, and I have some concerns about the long term reliability of the F20C (4th cyl. issues?). I'm not a track guy, but I don't think that means I can't appreciate the nature of the 9k redline and tall gearing; but this car WILL be a daily driver. ARGHHHHH choices choices choices. I'm also worried about several comments by posters on this forum about the snap oversteer issue with the '00-'03 models.

I can get the '03 for 29,300.00 plus tx. and lic., and the '04 for 30,800.00 plus tx. and lic.

Can some of you who've lived with the car lend some words of wisdom or suggestions? If I'm gonna get that '03... its gotta be now. But the center console on the '04 is sooo nice....
Old 11-29-2003, 11:30 PM

If you're that undecided, maybe today shouldn't be the day you make this decision.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can always put in an 04 center console. It's been done for a couple hundred if you must have it.

The issues that you are concerned about on the F20C are around becuase that motor has been in the car since day 1. You may see a few of them or even an amount that you would consider a lot. But, you also need to look at all of the people that have never had a problem, these are the ones you never hear about. If there is never a problem then there is no reason to post about it. There are no known F22C problems... yet (that I'm aware of). It's still new and there is no saying that there won't be any issues with it, it's just too early to tell.

I have had one occurance of oversteer and that was caused by lift throttle. It was a dumb move and I've never done it again. I've had my rear end swing out a bit on a few agressive turns and again, that was my error because my rear tires were bad or I decided to WOT VTEC in first gear in the middle of the turn.

In the end it's going to come down to what you are comfortable driving.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:32 PM

If you're that undecided, maybe today shouldn't be the day you make this decision.
I hear you. The problem is that if I don't move on a particular '03, itl mean flying to another part of the state to pick up the color I want.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:41 PM
Former Sponsor

My car is my daily driver. I have an 02. The sparkplug issue has already been resolved by 03, so you don't need to worry about that. The 04 is better for a daily driver because of the increase in torq, making it easier to drive in traffic. It has also improved suspension mods making the ride smoother while retaining its handling ability. Outside road noise also has been reduced, making the 04 a driver friendly car that is perfect for a daily driver. Also the interrior, as you stated, is much nicer than the 00-03's.

But I prefer the 00-03 because IMO it looks better. The ride of the 00-03 cars is pretty harsh and isn't really that good for long distances. I have taken my car on long distances and it is not that bad, but the 04 will be more comfortable. Also cannot live without the 9k redline. I know some people don't think that a few rpms is that much of a difference, but it really is.

Both cars are great and you cannot go wrong with either one. I guess it all comes down to what you like better. I would compare both and see what you like about both of them, then comapre and see which model has more things you like then the other model. Also if you get the 03, you can easily swap out the center console to a 04... Good luck!!!!
Old 11-30-2003, 01:00 AM

Well, if you're basing your whole decision on a center console, then it is interchangable. You can get the MY03 with it's 9K redline or the MY04 with more TQ. Other then that, make sure it's what you want. The MY04 has some nice styling
Old 11-30-2003, 02:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with the 9k rpm comment by shadow
i drive my friends 00 civic si with th 8000 rpm and that extra what 800 rpms?? is really breathtaking
makes it unique
03 is the way to go

IMO
Old 11-30-2003, 04:34 AM

In the long run the 04 will be the cheaper car to own when you factor in resale. Overall I would simply pick the car you like better.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:44 AM

Get the 04, the price difference is not that much.

You will have a (newer) car with less depreciation.

FYI, I paid less for my 03 in April this year.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:03 AM

This issue is purely a personal preference one. I think you will find that most of us that have pre-04's prefer them for thier virtues and vice versa.

I have seen numerous times though lately that an '03 still sitting in the dealer's showroom should be going for quite a bit less than what you quoted, I have the feeling they know you want the car and are basing thier pricing on that. This car's purchase has nothing to do with practicality, get the one that calls to you more....

Travis

Quick Reply: New '03 or New '04; I must decide today.... some help?