S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New here, Need some advice

Old 04-11-2002, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan, you might want to take a look at this thread I started last week. My wife and are pretty much in the same boat as you and your girlfriend (by the way, none of us are old).

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=55252

We looked at the same cars you've looked at, plus the Boxster S, and came to the same place you apparently have. I've never had so much fun driving to work.
Old 04-11-2002, 07:33 PM

Received 5,011 Likes on 3,029 Posts

Old MGs are great fun, but this is where it's at....
Old 04-11-2002, 10:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

hi dan good luck with the car i'm 53 but i still lift weights 3 days aweek and mtn bike the other 3. this s2k is also part of my prescription for staying young in mind and body!!
Old 04-11-2002, 10:39 PM

I work in South Pasadena. Feel free to PM me for any S2000 related questions. I'm in my mid 30's right now so I'm not that much younger. BTW, this weekend is the best time to negotiate if the dealer has a car in stock. I got mine for less than MSRP last year on 4/14, the day before Uncle Sam collected.

Good luck.
Old 04-12-2002, 03:49 AM

I just got my S2000 and plan on driving it everyday. At age 50, I see this as the realization of a life long dream that was on hold while the kids were growing up.

I have a very short commute to work, so that shouldn't put too much mileage on the car, but it sure will be a lot more fun!
Old 04-12-2002, 04:05 AM

Wish I was as young as you and your girl friend, but at 61 I look forward to getting into my s2k at every opportunity. My wife's biggest complaint is that after insisting this would be my last car for a while, I am already waiting to see if there are enough upgrades on the 2003 to consider trading it in.
Old 04-12-2002, 06:36 AM

You will love this car !! My father has a TT, my father in law has a SLK 230, my boss has the BMW, and all I can say is the S2000 is amazing !
Old 04-12-2002, 07:07 AM

Dan, I'm about your age and have had my "S" for a little over a month (bought it from one of those discounting Chicago-area dealers and had it shipped to California). It's an absolute blast to drive. I owned an MGB while in high school and the S2000 offers every element of joy that car did, multiplied by two; and of course without the need to spend several hours a week working on it just to keep it running.

I expected a pretty raw sports car ride and high noise levels, but the car is really more refined than that. Mine is used for commuting to work (90 miles rt) a couple of times a week, and lots of fun driving on the weekends. I already have nearly 2000 miles on the clock, and seize every opportunity to wring it out on a twisty road. I have absolutely no regrets about buying one of these fine automobiles.

I recommend that you spend some time exploring this forum -- it's by far the best source of lively (and often opinionated but usually very accurate) information on the S2000 I've found. Encourage your girlfriend to get the car. The two of you won't be sorry.
Old 04-12-2002, 07:36 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan in Pasadena
[B]Old guy with girlfriend buying a new S2000 - probably tomorrow.
Old 04-12-2002, 08:48 AM

Dan,

I am 52 years old and have been married for 32 years. I bought my S.D. last memorial day. I drive it everyday! I have 11,000 miles on the car, no problems. The S.D. is a fantastic piece of technology! This car have never ceased to impress me, it is powerful and very well balanced. It is easy to maintain and reasonable to insure. I do recommend a radar detector, just to keep you aware.

Be prepared to explain what a S.D. is and who makes it. I still get lots questions about the car, almost every time I fill the gas tank.

You have found this web site, which is a fantastic source of information and support.

By the way, my wife was a little timid about driving the S.D. when we first got it, now I can't keep her out of it!

Happy motoring!

Quick Reply: New here, Need some advice