S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New to the S need some advice please

Old 10-26-2010, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kTony,Oct 26 2010, 02:10 PM
i'm also comparing the z to the s but what surprises me is that low mileage dealer HR z's can be found for around 20k. Nissans dont hold value as well as hondas
Very true that is what I was looking at also. I think I am leaning more towards the S now. I really want to go test drive one before I can make my final decision but I am at 90>10% S vs Z now and I am planning on make the car a track car after I buy another DD for me but for the next year or so it will be my DD. Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:15 PM

Hey there. I currently own a 2005 S, the car I came from was a 2006 Z. I owned the Z for a little over 4 years.

I would really see how comfortable you are in it. I know the one guy weighed in (no pun intended), but the difference between 6' 200lbs and 5'8 220lbs is pretty significant.

I'm tall 6'3 and I'm honestly equally comfortable in both cars. The Z is perhaps slightly more casual feeling, but I prefer the cockpit feeling of the S.

To make a long story short...the Z feels faster and stronger, etc... But the S just feels more fun. If you feel comfortable in it, and you're leaning that way already...i'd go for the S. But give the Z a try. It still is a really fun car...and I miss it a bit at times.

Also...18k for an '06 seems like a decent deal.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by In The Year S2000,Oct 26 2010, 03:15 PM
Hey there. I currently own a 2005 S, the car I came from was a 2006 Z. I owned the Z for a little over 4 years.

I would really see how comfortable you are in it. I know the one guy weighed in (no pun intended), but the difference between 6' 200lbs and 5'8 220lbs is pretty significant.

I'm tall 6'3 and I'm honestly equally comfortable in both cars. The Z is perhaps slightly more casual feeling, but I prefer the cockpit feeling of the S.

To make a long story short...the Z feels faster and stronger, etc... But the S just feels more fun. If you feel comfortable in it, and you're leaning that way already...i'd go for the S. But give the Z a try. It still is a really fun car...and I miss it a bit at times.

Also...18k for an '06 seems like a decent deal.
which car got you more compliments and neck twists?

any oil consumption headaches with the Z?

also which has the superior handling?
Old 10-26-2010, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by s2kTony,Oct 26 2010, 03:21 PM
which car got you more compliments and neck twists?

any oil consumption headaches with the Z?

also which has the superior handling?
In the same color...with the top down, I'd say the S will get a few more looks. But, my Z was blue and my S is silver...so that slants it slightly towards the Z getting more looks.

I was lucky enough not to have the oil consumption problem.

Handling was about equal, in terms of performance at my skill level. But, I'll say that the S handling feels a little more rewarding...and it's easier to control the back end with the throttle in the S...in my opinion.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:07 PM

my dad is 6' over 200 lbs and he fits fine
the majority of the people here are gonna say get the S over the 350 because you are on a S2000 forum. If you want a lot of hp then go with the Z but just going into vtec once is like driving a car for the first time. Make sure you don't take it easy on the test drive at the dealer, push the car and make the salesman scared for his life!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 06:28 PM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you haven't test driven a Z, you should. The interior is terrible--worse than my LS1 TA and I'm not even kidding. I drove it and it felt slow. Maybe I wasn't pushing it hard enough but it did not impress me the way the S did the first time I drove it. S2000's fit and finish is lightyears beyond the 350Z also.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Syn,Oct 26 2010, 06:28 PM
If you haven't test driven a Z, you should. The interior is terrible--worse than my LS1 TA and I'm not even kidding. I drove it and it felt slow. Maybe I wasn't pushing it hard enough but it did not impress me the way the S did the first time I drove it. S2000's fit and finish is lightyears beyond the 350Z also.
as soon as i read your first post this is what i was thinking (the fit and finish/ interior). The Z seems really cheap to me. I used to work at a honda dealer in sales and i did tons and tons of research on other cars, one thing i always noticed when i was in a Z was the hard, cheap feeling plastics. Also IIRC, car and driver and road and track were always favoring the S.

The Z isnt a bad car and its fun to drive, but i think the extra weight gives it a sluggish feeling even though its pretty zippy.

Go test drive the 350 and the S, you cant go wrong either way. (unless you buy the 350)
Old 10-26-2010, 10:24 PM

1. no
2. yes
3. no
4. yes

just look at the door panels in the 350.....ugh....part of my thing also with a 350, was that i would always feel pwned by nismos...and rightfully so...now there are just 2 more steps above that....but the s2k, well there is a reason very little was changed through its lifetime...its rep speaks for itself...i believe that ferrari just recently produced a motor making more hp per liter than the S...and they had 10 more years than honda...and its freaking honda vs. ferrari....that alone shows the dedication that went into making this car pure and simple..easy choice
Old 10-27-2010, 12:47 AM

i never thought the Z was a good car,,, im biased though
Old 10-27-2010, 05:15 AM

I bought the S over the 350Z for the following reasons:

1. The S2K is easier to maintain

2. The S2K handles better

3. The S2K is convertible

4. The S2K has Honda reliability

5. The S2K has much better HID projector lamps than the early 350Z's did.

This was enough for me to make my decision.

Quick Reply: New to the S need some advice please