S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New S2000 reported in Forbes article...

Old 11-02-2018, 11:05 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jts09
The reason I wanted an S was because new cars have too much tech. Kind of strange since I'm an engineer, but I don't want to drive a computer. Any new S will surely follow suit - lane detectors, blind spot monitors, backup cameras, etc. Not to mention my biggest gripe, the infotainment system. I'll stick with my S.
I agree. The S2000 has amazing engineering, but it's basically a demonstration that Honda were willing to take a car as far as they could possibly go with their iconic technology of the 90s. I kind of admire that aspect of the S. It was "Look at what we can do. This is everything we've done up to this point in one beautiful package, but it's the end of that era. We have to move on towards the future."
The following users liked this post:
99MCoupe (11-04-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 11:40 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

The only time I could wish for an automatic transmission in a sports car was if I was stuck in miles and miles of bumper to bumper traffic every day

oh wait, that is almost a daily occurance. Yet I still love driving the S anytime I get a chance
Old 11-02-2018, 12:03 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

The GTR has a lot of tech and has a DCT. I do enjoy driving it, I must admit, even more than my S. If this new S comes out, I will be a potential customer.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:25 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

automatic? suck it honda.
darcy
Old 11-02-2018, 05:00 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

I realize the odds are about nil that a high-revving naturally aspirated engine would be used in any performance car from Honda going forward. But if Honda were to create a new sports car without a manual transmission and without a convertible top option I would hope that they at least label it as something other than a S-series car. I'm definitely not amongst the demographic of interested potential buyers for a car as described in the Forbes article, regardless of how it were to be labeled
Old 11-03-2018, 07:55 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

The smashing success of the NSX should serve as a model for something like this. Putting a Honda badge on it won't help.

Also not sure why anyone would want a natural aspirated engine these days. I imagine places like LHT have waiting lists for supercharging the S2000. And, like it or not, a paddle shift semi-automatic gearbox is probably the most we could hope for.

-- Chuck
Old 11-03-2018, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Also not sure why anyone would want a natural aspirated engine these days. I imagine places like LHT have waiting lists for supercharging the S2000. And, like it or not, a paddle shift semi-automatic gearbox is probably the most we could hope for.
What makes a S2000 such an invigorating car for me is running it through the gears, manipulating the clutch and gearbox myself. Combine that with an empty twisty backroad and that's what turns my crank. I'm not interested in straight line performance. (Nothing I do to the S2000 is going to exceed what my motorcycle is capable that way and it's not really my thing anyway.) On twisty backroads like I enjoy the car as it sits in stock form is already more capable than my own driving skills (I'm the biggest limiting factor, not the car) and offers more performance than what I'm comfortable using out on public roads. Under such circumstances I'm rarely in need of anything but the first four gears and I'm only bumping into the rev limiter in the first three gears. If the car were any faster, I'd never be consistently touching the upper reaches of the RPM range under the same circumstances.(What's the thrill in having a high redline figure if you hardly ever reach it, lol.) In those times when I've pushed the car past it's handling limits it's always felt predictable with no surprises when the back end breaks loose and no problems keeping things in line.

The new car described by Forbes would no doubt be a lot faster, but it would also hold much less appeal for me. I'm plenty happy with the perceived experience provided by the S2000. That's more important to me than observed outright performance. For me personally a lot of that has to do with the characteristics of the naturally aspirated engine. Of course all of the above is best enjoyed with the top down. In all honestly if I think about a car as described in the Forbes article , a car that gets rid of the N/A engine, the manual gearbox and the convertible top and I'd personally much rather have the 2019 Miata. For what I'm looking for in a sports car it would just be a better fit for me. And the Miata already has too much electronic crap that I don't care for. I'm not a fan of infotainment systems. For that matter I'm well into my second year of S2000 ownership and have yet to even listen to the stereo while driving the car. So when it comes to a possible new Honda sports car as described I say no thanks. I'll happily stick with the S2000. It's a great fit for what I'm looking for out of a sports car.
The following 2 users liked this post by GuthNW:
99MCoupe (11-03-2018), rpg51 (11-05-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 02:26 PM

Received 736 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by GuthNW
For that matter I'm well into my second year of S2000 ownership and have yet to even listen to the stereo while driving the car.
Funny you should say that, the first thing I did after picking mine up was pull over and figure out how to turn the radio off.

I'm also in the "Techie who bought one because it's low-tech" camp - we have a Nissan Leaf for the family runabout, and while it's great for that purpose it's about as far from an involving drive as a car can get. We also have what is effectively an Infiniti G35X wagon (Nissan Stagea), which is fun up to a point but still just a barge-butted hauler. The S2000 appeals because a "successful" drive is almost entirely dependent upon the ability of the driver to extract the most from the machine, without electronic nannies tut-tutting away in the background. Of course, I'm nowhere near testing those limits after so many years in the other cars, but it's good to know that every improvement is on me, not a large assortment of acronyms.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind if Honda does produce a new S2000, if the new model does to AP1/AP2 values what the new NSX did to NA1/NA2 NSX values...
Old 11-04-2018, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Hertz Donut
Funny you should say that, the first thing I did after picking mine up was pull over and figure out how to turn the radio off.
Makes total sense to me.

Originally Posted by Hertz Donut
Having said that, I wouldn't mind if Honda does produce a new S2000, if the new model does to AP1/AP2 values what the new NSX did to NA1/NA2 NSX values...
I get what you're saying but I suppose that it all comes down to what outcome you are working towards as far as S2000 ownership is concerned. I have no plans to sell the S2000 on to someone else so I'm in no hurry for S2000 prices to rise. I'd rather see the demand/price for these cars remain reasonable. I'll admit that I would be surprised if the value for these car does not rise some over the next decade or so. But I'm hoping this car remains reasonable to own and drive at least in relation to what I'm comfortable spending on a car.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:19 PM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

All of the fun heyday Japanese car prices are skyrocketing. R33 & R34 prices are unreasonable before even being able to be imported. Supras are way out there, RX7 FDs are going nuts, ITRs, NSX, even old EK9 hatches are pulling stupid money. S2000 had a pretty sharp incline that appears to continue surging upwards....Almost all of these cars are at a price that makes you question spending that kind of cash on a car of that age vs. buying something new for the price. All of the emotional/egotistical bid wars taking place on BaT definitely aren't helping. The tarts chirping away in the comments sections for S2000 auctions embracing these cars in white gloves definitely aren't helping the situation. They're basically stoking an imaginary fire and everyone is drinking the koolaid.

Quick Reply: New S2000 reported in Forbes article...