S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Newbie asks some questions

Old 10-18-2000, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I've been lurking for awhile, and now am convinced I want one of these cars. (if anyone is interested in a mint 2000 Pearl Yellow VFR 800fi motorcycle with 7500 miles speak up).

I went into the dealer today, and he said several things that I don't think I believe:

1.) That the S2000 will only be made for 3 years.

2.) That much of the S2K technology will be employed in the next generation Prelude (2002 model)

3.) Finally, what's the typical lead time for finding one of these cars if one wants to pay at or near MSRP? I'll probably be ready to buy in about 4 months, should I start now, or wait 2 months, or...??

Thanks for any replies.

Jason
Seattle, WA
- 1991 CRX Si Tahitian Green Pearl (soon to be for sale) 60k orig miles
- 2000 VFR 800
- 2000 Jetta VR6
Old 10-18-2000, 12:39 PM

1. I've heard only 2 years, and I've heard not determined. they are selling. Hey I heard the civic si was only going to be in 99 but I've got a 00.

2. I heard that there was not going to be a 2002 prelude. and if there is they won't let it be as fast or cool as the s2k, same reason the s2k is not as fast as the nsx or the camero to the vette etc

3. Start now. My dealer has already sold there first alotment (pre sold rather) at msrp. I'm getting the first one.

Great choice.

What else did you consider?
Old 10-18-2000, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by jwarner:
1.) That the S2000 will only be made for 3 years.
It was widely reported by the press when the S2000 was introduced that Honda planned to make the car only for two or three years. The gist of it was that Honda's original game plan was that it be limited production. They have already imported more S2000s in to the U.S. than they originally announced. Bottom line, no one really knows except Honda, and of course, they can change their plans at any time.

3.) Finally, what's the typical lead time for finding one of these cars if one wants to pay at or near MSRP? I'll probably be ready to buy in about 4 months, should I start now, or wait 2 months, or...??
Depends on the dealer, where they're located, what their allocation is. Many people have bought for MSRP at their local dealer, others have had to fly halfway across the country to find one. The strategy for MY 2001 may differ than MY 2000.
Old 10-18-2000, 12:47 PM

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome,

I agree with Mellow Yellow.

My dealer told me that there are alot of rumors on how long it will be made, nothing substantiated with facts.

As for the Prelude, I don't know but the rumors I had heard was that it would be gone soon. My guess is that Honda needs to (maybe they have we just don't know) develop a strategy for the sports car segment. It is difficult given the popularity of the S2k, how do Honda and Acura position the Integra and the Civic SI.

As for when to look, I would start searching now. I purchased mine from my usual dealer for MSRP and waited 9 months. The allocation they have for 2001 is already spoken for. Keep in mind that this is in the North East.

Good Luck,

Jim
Old 10-18-2000, 12:52 PM

As for order now or later.... The dealer I
bought from ( MSRP plus $700 ) knew what he
had coming in (color) and roughly when the
cars were due to arrive. If you know what
color you want match it up with estimated
delivery about four months from now and you are a "done deal" I think finding the MSRP
part of the equation might be the hard part.
I guess it depends where you live.
Old 10-18-2000, 01:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with TFota on the number of years it will be produced. Honda is so tight lipped, it is all really just speculation. However, 2 years has been the going rate.

As for your second question, from what I understand there will be no '02 Prelude. If anything, Honda will use this platform (engine/6sp drivetrain) for an up and coming 3 series fighter. It is rumored to be a 4-door built on an extended S2000 platform. Again this is speculation, but anything based on the S2000 will likely be on the Acura side next.

As for lead time, start now, search hard, and most of all don't let them screw you around. Good luck, let us know when you have questions.
Old 10-18-2000, 01:27 PM

Just to expand on this topic, I bought my car in September '99 after putting down a deposit in January '99. I had one of the four received by my dealer in their initial shipment. I waited eight months and paid over MSRP.

Every one of the first dozen that they received were spoken for.

I met someone in January '00 who walked into another, smaller San Diego dealer in November '99, just six weeks after I bought mine, saw it on the showroom floor and paid MSRP for it. I had spoken with this dealer and they were not taking deposits.

Another owner in San Diego could not find a car for MSRP in San Diego, and ended up driving one hour north (Corona) and bought one for MSRP, just three weeks after he heard about the car in February.

[This message has been edited by TFota (edited October 18, 2000).]
Old 10-18-2000, 01:56 PM
gdw

The first two questions have been answered.

As to the third, I took a week to buy my car. First I test drove my car, then a BMW M roadster, Porsche Boxster S, The Audii TT, and Mercedes SLK 230. The only car that compared to the S2K was the Boxster, so I paid MSRP plus $3000 and felt I saved $12,000 over the Boxster. Bought right then and haven't looked back. It wasn't worth a few bucks to me to wait.
Old 10-18-2000, 02:00 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TFota:
[B]Just to expand on this topic, I bought my car in September, '00 after putting down a deposit in January. I had one of the four received by my dealer in their initial shipment.
Old 10-18-2000, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I walked in and bought mine off the showroom floor same day. I consider myself lucky however. Another dealer I went to called me when the car arrived (three weeks later) and asked if I wanted it. Your milage will vary.

Quick Reply: Newbie asks some questions