S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

--- NEWSFLASH --- NEWSFLASH ---

Old 03-22-2006, 05:51 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ummmm.... so is 10w-30 bad?
Old 03-22-2006, 06:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no, 10w30 is just fine.

our friend here experienced what we call "cognitive dissonance". it's the psychological reaction to us doing something we think should make a difference, therefore we perceive a difference. any actual differences would likely be chalked up to unscientific measurement or weather or etc.

the bottom line is, NO it doesn't make a difference as long as you use a viscosity that the manufacturer specifies for the engine. that being either 10w30 or 5w40. also, 0w40 is a bit too far apart in a multiviscosity oil for my comfort, according to what road rage has stated previously.

Also, DO NOT put a 50 or 60 weight oil into this car. unless of course you like to have your engine suffer from oil starvation.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Mar 22 2006, 09:21 AM
unless of course you like to have your engine suffer from oil starvation.
Mmmmmmmmm, tempting.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the humor in this forum.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:26 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

He was using 5W40 because that's what Honda allows. Look in your owner's manual and you'll see that this is the case. He's in Europe where 5W40 has been far easier to obtain than it is for us, however, it's now getting easier for us. 10W30 is the typical recommended viscosity, but Honda does state a 5W40 is a good wide temp range oil.
As for going to 0W40, there is no harm. Whatever floats your boat. I doubt the difference is dramatic, but let's give him a break since he did state that it was opinion and observation.

As for this statement:
0w-60 would work better
Ahhh, NO! Unless you are willing to do 3 or 4 slow warm up laps around your block before heading out, this will produce very high oil pressure, even in a summer morning. We have a very high psi oil pump. Pushing 60 weight oil before the engine gets good and heated up can produce oil pressure that can blow out seals. At 60 weight, even when nearly hot and at that kind of pressure, that oil won't effectively go through the smaller oil passages. Also, a thick oil like this is not a good heat transfer agent. A thinner oil is much better at it. The underside of our pistons relies on both lubrication and cooling by the oil spray. A really thick oil like this will neither in an effective way. For a daily driven car, lubrication is very important during that first cold start. Then for the next 1/2 hour or so of city driving, before the oil gets hot and thins out, you need flow, lubrication and cooling.

This also goes for the 20W50.

If you believe thick is better, why not go with molassus and take pancakes with you in the morning?
Old 03-22-2006, 07:26 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Wisconsin S2k Posted on Mar 22 2006, 04:21 PM
our friend here experienced what we call "cognitive dissonance".

Not quite.
I waited to post this to be absolutely sure about the difference I noticed.

Here is a quote from learningandteaching.info:

Cognitive dissonance is a psychological phenomenon which refers to the discomfort felt at a discrepancy between what you already know or believe, and new information or interpretation. It therefore occurs when there is a need to accommodate new ideas, and it may be necessary for it to develop so that we become "open" to them. Neighbour (1992) makes the generation of appropriate dissonance into a major feature of tutorial (and other) teaching: he shows how to drive this kind of intellectual wedge between learners' current beliefs and "reality".

Beyond this benign if uncomfortable aspect, however, dissonance can go "over the top", leading to two interesting side-effects for learning:

1 - if someone is called upon to learn something which contradicts what they already think they know
Old 03-22-2006, 07:45 AM

interesting, that definition of cognitive dissonance differs from the one that I have read previously. though I may have my terms mixed up.

by the way, sorry, but i'm not "suffering" from the first side effect. this is well known information, and you're not pioneering anything new. there is no "new learning" to be had here, because FAR GREATER minds on the subject than you or I have already disproven your "perceived change".

like it or not, it makes really no discernable or measureable difference. as I stated above:

"it's the psychological reaction to us doing something we think should make a difference, therefore we perceive a difference. any actual differences would likely be chalked up to unscientific measurement or weather or etc."
Old 03-22-2006, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OOO schnappp, son! Now you're gonna make Wisconsin: 1. close this thread after he has had the last word! Or, 2. he's gonna show that he knows more than you do about the S2000, virtual pimp-slap you, and be on his way.

I could easily wager 100 bucks that Wisconsin will suffer from the second option, a hurting hand.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by DrDre1443,Mar 22 2006, 10:50 AM
OOO schnappp, son! Now you're gonna make Wisconsin: 1. close this thread after he has had the last word! Or, 2. he's gonna show that he knows more than you do about the S2000, virtual pimp-slap you, and be on his way.

I could easily wager 100 bucks that Wisconsin will suffer from the second option, a hurting hand.
I'm sorry, did I miss the sign on the door that said we're going back to 3rd grade today?
Old 03-22-2006, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick Reply: --- NEWSFLASH --- NEWSFLASH ---