S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Normal Rain/Thunderstorm and CAI

Old 02-23-2006, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Normal Rain/Thunderstorm and CAI

I'm getting an S2000 [02] tomorrow and my first under the hood mod is probably going to be intake, unless you guys suggest something else. I've been looking at AEM's V2 cai and I live in Minnesota . This is basically going to be my car up until this fall, where I'll be getting a cheap winter car. But in the summers we get rain and thunderstorms and i was wondering if it's fine to drive with the cai in normal rain conditions. I searched the forums but I can't quite find a straight up answer to my question. As long as I don't drive through big puddles and plug that hole on the side, will i be fine with driving the car in the rain? and letting the car be parked outside for a part of the day (when i'm at school)? thanks in advance
Old 02-24-2006, 06:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think AEM modified the V2 to include a valve to drain water due to complaints about possible hydrolocking. There was a thread about this last week maybe. If you're still worried, you can get a CAI with no worries about sucking up water.. I think the favorites are the K&N FIPK or the quiter Comptech.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:59 AM

I have heard great things about the k&n fipk also, I think thats wut ill be getting soon.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:15 AM

Yeah AEM sells a bypass valve and from what I heard it is worth the extra $$
Old 02-24-2006, 07:23 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Get the Comptech icebox.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too am in Minnesota and love my Comptech. The K&N is a cheaper option though. AEM's bypass valve is a piece of garbage and will cause you to suck in hot engine air in effect gaining to power.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by S2kracka,Feb 24 2006, 12:10 PM
I too am in Minnesota and love my Comptech. The K&N is a cheaper option though. AEM's bypass valve is a piece of garbage and will cause you to suck in hot engine air in effect gaining to power.
I did not know this. HAs anyone else experienced this?
Old 02-24-2006, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by duboseq,Feb 24 2006, 12:14 PM
I did not know this. HAs anyone else experienced this?
Yes, its been dyno'ed showing a loss in power. That new drain valve is a much better design.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:20 AM

Hmm...no one seems to have actually answered your questions Since I just installed an AEM V2 on my car and since we've been having some rain storms down here in socal, I'll speak from experience. Unless you're driving through lakes or rivers, you really don't have much to worry about. Since I got my V2 installed, I've driven through relatively heavy rains, left my car parked outside all night during a rainstorm, washed my car with a powerful water nozzle and I haven't had a single problem. However, as you mentioned, do plug that hole in the front passenger side of the engine bay as I think you would have some water issues if you didn't plug it up. For now I sealed the hole with some heavy duty gaffers tape which seems to do the trick, but if possible, I would recommend getting a rubber plug to do the job instead as I'm worried that the tape will give out eventually after being exposed to water repeatedly. You can also purchase or make an umbrella to cover the filter for extra safety. With a plugged hole and an umbrella, I really can't see how you would have to worry at all about having a V2.

On another note, you'll LOVE the V2 - it sounds fantastic!

Jim

EDIT: Also, I don't believe there is a bypass valve for the v2 Perhaps the above posters are referring to the bypass valve for the V1. Can anyone with experience speak up about this?
Old 02-24-2006, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by duboseq,Feb 24 2006, 11:15 AM
Yeah AEM sells a bypass valve and from what I heard it is worth the extra $$
This also only works with the V1 and the bypass valve only works when the filter is submerged and a vaccuum is created, opening the bypass valve and allowing air in from top part of engine bay.... This keeps water from being ingested from the submerged filter.... No bypass valve the water would simply be sucked up....Just like a straw.

Either way, even if it was avalible for the V2 the bypass valve would not prevent the issue that seems to be at hand with the V2. It pools water in the elbow of the lowest bend. When you start your car, that pool of water is ingested into the engine. There is not enough resistance to pressure, that the valve would open.

I am still considering getting the V2 for my S. I had a V1 on my integra for 4 years and never had problems with it. Just make sure to plug the drain hole, fab an umbrella to go over the filter. (added bonus of new ones, drain plug in the intake tube itself.)

Quick Reply: Normal Rain/Thunderstorm and CAI