S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Not falling in love with new '06

Old 05-20-2016, 05:58 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Not falling in love with new '06

This is a follow up to my 'softer than expected' post. Maybe this should be in the brake and suspension forum but I this is an overall commentary as well as asking for specific suspension tips.

So I've had the car for 2 weeks and I was bound and determined to own an S2000 no matter what. I am getting to "know" the car more and more and there are things I like and things I am disappointed about. Yesterday I had the car aligned and new Michelin Pilot sports mounted. I went for about a 100 mile drive of mostly two lane roads yesterday evening to try out the new kicks. I find that the Michelins grip A LOT better than the previous all seasons (obviously).
I also feel that the steering feels slower than I like and the car feels especially vague on sweeping turns. The ones marked 40mph or higher (or not marked at all). Now of course this is at speeds 15-20 mph faster than marked which should, in my estimation be very comfy for a car of this caliber. The car just doesn't feel confident in this type of turn. I don't get a good feel for what's going on though I'm sure the car has plenty of grip at these speeds. I'm not getting much feedback. The front end doesn't feel tight and communicative to me. Its really not much fun here. I would just as soon be driving my Suzuki Sidekick. Yes, I said it, my 1994 Sidekick with a 3" lift and mud tires is as fun to drive on wide sweeping turns albeit closer to the posted speeds.

Now to the hairpins. Turns marked 15-25mph. This is where the S2000 becomes a different animal. I can grab second gear and absolutely rip around those turns with world class sports car speed and confidence. A section of sub 30mph turns reminds me why I wanted this car so bad.

And then back to the 4 lane roads we have with plenty of wider sweeping bends. The car feels confident there as well. 80 mph is comfortable and stable. Its the mid speed two lane sweepers that just feel "off" in this car. I believe it is because the car "sets" and loads up completely on one side of the suspension on the hairpins and the mid speed sweepers it kind of "floats" within the parameters of body roll. Does that make sense? My sports car terminology needs updating I know.
So what might help add some feedback and confidence to mid speed handling? Stiffer front swaybar? Any other suggestions? I'm willing to make a few minor tweeks (ie. sways bars, maybe springs) but I will not go down the modification rabbit hole with this car. It devalues these cars and I really don't want to get into it.
I am learning That I am one of the people who likes an extremely stiff sports car. I miss the feel of the Lotus Elise I drove. I felt like that car was an extension of my body. Tons of road feel and feedback. To be fair, the S2000 is very close in to the Elise in the hairpins. Maybe I would be better suited for an AP1 but I couldn't imagine having less torque.

Things I'm liking so far:
-smooth shifter
-smooth high revving engine
-awesome tight cornering

Things I'm not liking:
-mid speed stability lacking
-not much torque (not big deal, still fun)
-steering feel/speed not the best
-Not a ton of road feel

Don't mean to sound so negative, I know this is a great car.

Thanks in advance for your feedback
Old 05-20-2016, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would you mind posting your alignment specs? It can have a pretty significant effect on the feel of this car, as do tire pressures. As to the lack of confidence and vague feeling in mid-speed turns, I kinda get what you're saying in that I think I've felt some of that before, but I'm no longer on stock suspension so it's hard for me to remember exactly. I have read of a slightly stiffer front sway bar (like the eibach one) instilling a sense of confidence in sweepers but I haven't tried one so I hesitate to say you should buy one.

I know you're not willing to mod this thing out, but the lack of torque can be easily cured in your car with a test pipe and a FlashPro tune. Not that it's cheap, but it is easy.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it a square tire setup? If that's the case then a front sway bar should help it feel more stable. I haven't heard much positive about the eibach and don't believe it is very stiff, try a whiteline, it's $230 shipped or so and they have a good reputation.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:32 AM

Thanks Sylvan, I will probably ad a flashpro down the road if this "relationship" works out. I will post my aligment specs when I get home. Off the top of my head I can remember only the camber and caster:
Front: left = -0.5 right = -0.6
Rear: -1.5 both sides

Caster 6.4 both sides

I will post the rest when I get home from work this pm.

FRSKLLR, I checked out the Whiteline swaybar and read some threads on the topic. That looks like a good plan. Thanks.

I should add that I really like the ride quality of the stock suspension and it is very compatibale with our varying road surfaces in WV. Plus I don't feel like there is any particular charicterstic I want to tame with lowering springs like nose dive or anything.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 04 came with Michelin PSS as well, and I felt the exact same way about the steering. I recently changed to Hankook RS3, which so far is inspiring a lot more confidence. The car's feedback isn't fundamentally changed (EPS doesn't help), but it is much more responsive and predictable. Ride quality and noise hasn't suffered that much either.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:51 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

A proper suspension setup may help. Bilstein PSS9's are probably the best bang for your buck and are much better than stock in terms of refiment, ride quality, and control.

An AP1 steering rack would also be worth looking at.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:09 PM

Well, the tires are here to stay. I just got them yesterday. I read reviews and took suggestions and they seemed the best option for me. The swaybar is a tempting option. What should I expect in terms of steering feel and stability?
Old 05-20-2016, 12:13 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by WVCR-V
Thanks Sylvan, I will probably ad a flashpro down the road if this "relationship" works out. I will post my aligment specs when I get home. Off the top of my head I can remember only the camber and caster:
Front: left = -0.5 right = -0.6
Rear: -1.5 both sides

Caster 6.4 both sides

I will post the rest when I get home from work this pm.

FRSKLLR, I checked out the Whiteline swaybar and read some threads on the topic. That looks like a good plan. Thanks.

I should add that I really like the ride quality of the stock suspension and it is very compatibale with our varying road surfaces in WV. Plus I don't feel like there is any particular charicterstic I want to tame with lowering springs like nose dive or anything.
You need A LOT more front camber. Try going -1.5f and -2.0r. 0.0 toe in front, and .20 total toe in the rear. Will be a different animal! Definitely was a night and day difference between stock settings on my 07. A larger front sway is just going to induce more understeer on a factory staggered setup, so I don't think that would help. If you upgraded both front and rear that would definitely decrease body roll. Of all the model years, 06-07 are the softest. The steering racks on the AP2 are much slower compared to an AP1, but the AP2 is a lot more refined as well.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:21 PM

I don't think he needs to go that high on the camber, but I would personally decrease the caster a bit, which might help the steering wheel feel a little quicker and more responsive. Everyone has their own opinions on what feels best however
Old 05-20-2016, 12:28 PM

I think it's important to point out, OP, that you can achieve whatever feel you are looking for, if you are willing to experiment and maybe spend some money. You can't expect one persons opinion on how something feels to be equal to your own, so take our advice with grains of salt, and hopefully with some trial and error you will find what you we looking for.

Quick Reply: Not falling in love with new '06