S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Not sure whether I should file a claim

Old 08-17-2006, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure whether I should file a claim

Here's my situation. I just bought insurance (full coverage w/ comprehensive) for my s2000 almost a week ago. As I was leaving for work this morning, i came out and realized that my convertible top was slashed and my book bag in my car was missing. Im not stressing about the book bag because the only thing valuable in it was a Texas Instrument calculator. Im more pissed about how someone can have the heart to do such a thing. Should I report this to the insurance company? Im worried because the insurance was just purchased less than a week ago and I dont want them to think that I am trying to do an insurance fraud. What should I do? I dont have the pocket change to purchase a new top on my own. Will they boot me off of the insurance or raise my rates? My deductable is $500 just in case you're wondering and Im insured under All State. Any input would definitely help!

BTW, im sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I just didn't know whether to put it here or in "car talk."
Old 08-17-2006, 10:53 AM

go file. replacing the top is expensive. that's what insurance is for. and please next time don't leave bags etc... in the cabin when you leave the car.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:57 AM

Pay it. You're looking at $800 for the top itself and $400-$700 for installation unless you do it yourself. Vandalism shouldn't affect your insurance rates, but I'm not familiar with All State's policies.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since your comprehensive is that high, a replacement at your own expense would probably be less than $300 difference.
Did you report this to the Police? If so you wouldn't need to concern yourself with fraud suspicion.
The question would be- will the ins. co. raise my rates at renewal and if so how much? If you could get a candid answer from your insurance agent without filing a claim, you might ask.
Try this- Take your car to a Trim Shop and see if it's possible to make a visualably acceptible patch. This could involve applying a second patch to the the unripped side just to even out the visuals. Worth a try and could save you mucho money if possible. Good luck.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:24 AM

Yea it was my fault for not taking the book bag out of my car. Stupid me and I should get slapped for that.

I dont think the slash on my top could be patched without it being asthetically unappealing. I think I just might as well file a vandalism claim with my insurance since that's what I paid for. I am not mechanically inclined whatsoever so it would be a nightmare for me to try to install a new top myself. If the end result is that my renewal fee is increased, then I'll just have to take the hit. A $500 deductable is still better than $1500+ out of pocket (Although Im pretty sure the insurance company will get it back from me one way or the other in the long run).

Now, my next question is, would I be able to just take it to a honda dealer and have them replace the top if the insurance is going to pay for it? Or would they just cut me a check after the estimated repair costs and I'll be able to take it anywhere i'd like?
Old 08-17-2006, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

File a claim, this will be covered under your comprehensive coverage and will not raise your insurance premiums. Unless you are filing a ton of comprehensive claims it will not affect your standing with the company.

You can take your car anywhere you'd like to get fixed, I'd recomend the Honda dealership since at least that way you know you are getting OEM parts and that all equipment needed for the install is available to them.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:33 AM

A second strip of canvas applied to both sides and stitched would /could look as good as OEM. Get a pro to help with this decision. Nothing to lose.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you have a police/incident report and file the claim - that's what insurance is for! I'd definitely claim the book bag and the calculator... maybe say you had a 300 dollar PDA or Ipod to make up the deductible difference.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:04 PM

hmmm...i do have the receipts still for the book bag and the calculator as they were bought on the same day. How does that work though? I wouldn't want to make things more complicated than it already is. I guess what Im trying to say is, How can I even I even prove that those items were in my car? NOt that this is my main concern. Just curious.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:09 PM

You have the reciepts, thats proof. If you replace them with exact same items, keep those receipts too.

Quick Reply: Not sure whether I should file a claim