S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Official Is This Car Worth It Thread vol 3

Old 12-10-2017, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth it?

Need some advice. 2001 S2k, clean carfax. No accidents. 83000 miles. Dealer wants $14500.
Overall the car looks good. Paint looks good, no evident chips. I test drove it and felt great. That said theres a few possible issues:

- the adhesive on the front lip doesnt look very good and is peeling a bit. Is it easy to remove the lip?
- aftermarket exhaust on the car but dealer doesnt know what it is. Sounds great though.
- car is lowered, has blue springs not sure what make
- vin missing on front bumper and left fender. Everything else matches
- center console aged, cupholder cover flimsy when closed.
- one rim has a spider ish surface marking, what causes this? Is it cracks? Didnt feel deep.
- headlights have a gap on the bottom where its supposed to meet the bumper, is there supposed to be rubber all around it? Is this replaceable?
I took as many photos as i can, please have a look:
https://imgur.com/gallery/wwLmm

im gonna have a mechanic take a look at this car before i make any decision.

thanks!
Old 12-10-2017, 01:44 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by redinfinity
Need some advice. 2001 S2k, clean carfax. No accidents. 83000 miles. Dealer wants $14500.
Overall the car looks good. Paint looks good, no evident chips. I test drove it and felt great. That said theres a few possible issues:

- the adhesive on the front lip doesnt look very good and is peeling a bit. Is it easy to remove the lip?
- aftermarket exhaust on the car but dealer doesnt know what it is. Sounds great though.
- car is lowered, has blue springs not sure what make
- vin missing on front bumper and left fender. Everything else matches
- center console aged, cupholder cover flimsy when closed.
- one rim has a spider ish surface marking, what causes this? Is it cracks? Didnt feel deep.
- headlights have a gap on the bottom where its supposed to meet the bumper, is there supposed to be rubber all around it? Is this replaceable?
I took as many photos as i can, please have a look:
https://imgur.com/gallery/wwLmm

im gonna have a mechanic take a look at this car before i make any decision.

thanks!
Seems high to me, for that amount I would expect all VIN's and personally I think all of the Mods lower the value.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:27 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

redinfinity, unless you live in an area where S2000s are really hard to come by, I'd say that you could do better.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:27 PM

Thanks for the tips. Just trying to figure out good pricing as I just started looking last week. I'm getting a much better idea now after posting here a few times so thanks to you all for your help.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the tips. Just trying to figure out good pricing as I just started looking last week. I'm getting a much better idea now after posting here a few times so thanks to you all for your help.
Yeah car was probably wrecked, replaced front bumper and fender, but probably not reported on insurance. I wouldn't pay anywhere near $14k for that car.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:59 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

What part of the country are you located in? Location can often have quite an impact on pricing in addition to all the normal things people mention.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by GuthNW
What part of the country are you located in? Location can often have quite an impact on pricing in addition to all the normal things people mention.
Los Angeles. I found another clean one from a private seller that I will look at today. I'll take some photos and test drive it.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:08 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

I would try and find and experienced S2K owner in your area and have him inspect what you are considering purchasing, LA is a hotbed for S2000's with the prices being at the high end. Good luck in your quest.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:25 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hfreak
I would try and find and experienced S2K owner in your area and have him inspect what you are considering purchasing, LA is a hotbed for S2000's with the prices being at the high end. Good luck in your quest.
I got to take a look at a black 2001 owned by an older retired lady today with 43000 miles, super clean and clean carfax. Always garaged. She's asking $16k for it. I managed to get first dibs on checking it out. It's super clean and bone stock. I went through most of the stuff to look for in the used car guide on this forum. She had all the service records since she first bought it. There's other people who called her wanting to take a look at it after tomorrow so I think i will jump on it. I'm gonna take a look at it again tmrw to double check anything I might have missed and if there's nothing new I think I will be taking it.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I recently picked up an 05' with 26k miles. I totally missed this thread, but just a thought, how much do you think its worth. Mods are below, I know its kinda late, but eh .... might as well :

Mods:
Comptech Supercharger
Comptech header
Exhaust is stock
Koyorad radiator
Hondata K-Pro ECU
Forged internals, ported polished heads
JE Pistons
Darton Sleeves
Blocked Deck
Polished Crank
ARP Fasteners