S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Official Is This Car Worth It Thread vol 3

Old 01-30-2019, 01:06 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut12
The hassle of flipping a car for the little amount you may get wouldn’t make it worth it in my opinion. Just my 2 Cents. Sounds like if all is perfect you might make $1000-1500 or so. Does it have a glass window? The $17500 isn’t a steal enough to do it.

I think it depends on the area you are in. In the Bay Area in CA, a car with that low miles would be on the closer side to 30k. Even for a launch model. In my eyes an AP1 with under 30k miles for under 20k is highway robbery. For these cars, if they have even close to the 20k mile mark, people are throwing them up for between 27k and 40k. If I saw this deal in CA I'd be all over it.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on the car’s condition, 17,5 seems like a fair price. 14 is a destitute lowball, and I wouldn’t insult the seller with that.

Nevertheless, cars make shitty investments and I wouldn’t count on making much money from it. Prices for these cars aren’t near as high as people hype them up to be, looking on BAT will humble you quite a bit. Combined with the time spent selling the car, and expenses like insurance.. not worth it.

We are about to enter a financial recession. Soon few will be buying sports because the credit cycle is about to shut, and it would be much harder to sell your car

Save your 18 grand. Learn how to invest. Then wait for stock prices to ‘adjust’ and invest smart. You will make much more money that way. Not to mention the assets are almost completely liquid, and their value won’t go down because someone ran a shopping cart into it.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rdb4198
I agree the $17,500 is high, especially since he wants/needs money ASAP. I had $14,000 in my mind.
A mint 2000 with 26k on it for $14000? Sign me up, I'll take 2!!!
Old 01-31-2019, 08:32 AM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by rdb4198
I have the opportunity to purchase a 2000 NFR S2000 with 26k miles on it, totally mint. He want's $17,500 for it. I already own a 2003 and am just looking to flip the car. Is it a good price and what do you think I could realistically flip it for?
$17500 is a steal for 26K miles, unless there is something wrong with the car. It will feel almost new and you probably wont need to do anything to it for another 50k miles. For me that is at least another 3 years of daily driving and only paying for fuel and oil change. I purchased my 05 with 82k miles for that same price and I had to change motor mounts, shifter mod, repair soft top, spark plugs, serpentine belt, pulley bearings and now I think I might have to change out my clutch. You can save money doing this yourself but it could be over $3k just for parts.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:27 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2007 s2000

I am looking to purchase my first S2000. I have found a 2007 yellow/black with 83xxx miles on it. The car has been in two accidents. The car is super clean top to bottom. The repair shop did a really good job. However a few of the panels no longer have the vin on them. I can get the car for $17,500. i have looked underneath the car in person. I see no signs of any frame damage. There is zero rust. Is this a fair deal?
Old 02-06-2019, 10:49 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by sssmokin
I am looking to purchase my first S2000. I have found a 2007 yellow/black with 83xxx miles on it. The car has been in two accidents. The car is super clean top to bottom. The repair shop did a really good job. However a few of the panels no longer have the vin on them. I can get the car for $17,500. i have looked underneath the car in person. I see no signs of any frame damage. There is zero rust. Is this a fair deal?
Any idea of the cumulative damage? Which panels have been replaced and have you had a look at the repair receipts? It still seems high.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:22 AM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
Any idea of the cumulative damage? Which panels have been replaced and have you had a look at the repair receipts? It still seems high.
@sssmokin That's a lot of money for a car that's been bamboozled twice...
Old 02-06-2019, 01:25 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have looked at the receipts. Front hood and left fender repaired. Rear deck and right rear fender.
Everything looks done top notch.
I did a compression test and all four cylinders are right at 230. Underneath is super clean. I plan on driving it a lot. Not really buying it for an investment. I was just wondering about price for what I am getting.
Everything else I find around (Texas) is either a high priced lower mileage, or lower priced ragged out one. Looking at autotrader it would be nice to live close to either the east or west coast. There are several options there.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:56 PM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

I have looked at the receipts. Front hood and left fender repaired. Rear deck and right rear fender.
Everything looks done top notch.
I did a compression test and all four cylinders are right at 230. Underneath is super clean. I plan on driving it a lot. Not really buying it for an investment. I was just wondering about price for what I am getting.
Everything else I find around (Texas) is either a high priced lower mileage, or lower priced ragged out one. Looking at autotrader it would be nice to live close to either the east or west coast. There are several options there.
To honest with you, at 83k, I'd had to be thoroughly convinced if it's priced at $17,500.

83k, $17.5k, been hit twice, all kinds of stuff repaired/replaced. Nope!
Old 02-06-2019, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on where in the US you are. West coast, I’d say pull the trigger... especially since it’s a rio (adds value) and you plan on putting miles on it anyways.

If if I had to go buy an S again, I would do a lot differently. My priority would be paint color and condition, since it costs about the same to replace an engine as it does to paint a car.. then I’d worry about everything else.

If if I were you I’d be all over it since I think rio is the best s2000 color, but that’s obviously preference

Quick Reply: Official Is This Car Worth It Thread vol 3