S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Official Is This Car Worth It Thread vol 3

Old 09-08-2015, 03:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ejbluth
Seems like a good deal. For some perspective. This guy in Phoenix just posted up his black 2007, with 111k and wants 20k firm. Don't think he'll find a buyer anytime soon.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/5207986905.html
Yikes!
Old 09-20-2015, 06:52 AM

Would you Buy This s2000

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5221845637.html
Old 09-20-2015, 07:10 AM

No. I don't care if those parts are authentic or not. That car is very molested.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:23 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

NO.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes!

Modding is a bitch. On this site, or at least the pages I visit, modding is encouraged. When people post a build it is, nice build etc...

Much traffic about which aftermarket part is the best etc again. Yes mod mod mod.

If the parts are real this guy spent a lot of money. A full J's body kit (without looking) must be 5 grand then you have to mount it and paint it, the ASM bumpers run close to 2 grand a piece.

He probably has $15K in parts, another 5 to 10 in labor. He most likely has a 1000 hours of research in the car and parts as well.

Then it goes for sale and immediately it is called molested. The guy makes of point of saying "This car has been meticulously cared for and maintained, never raced, Never had ANY maintenance issues with this car, oil changes and checkups, but never been to the mechanic for anything other than that."

Of course you have to check it out in person to keep honest people honest but I would not be writing this car off without looking at as molested.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:09 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by skinsfn36
No. I don't care if those parts are authentic or not. That car is very molested.

Yup.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:35 AM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Pay to get the car inspected by a mechanic you know and trust. Realistically other than the paint on the one fender which can be corrected I wouldn't immediately be worried about a whole lot of abuse. This person spent probably 15,000 in parts that BARELY made the car any faster than stock. Its the best kind of investment for someone that wants these flashy show parts but doesn't want to pay the big premium to get them on a 'perfect car' which people will only turn around and label as molested. It's a Honda, not a Ferrari. If the engine is compression tested and comes out a dud offer him less because you will want to buy a used one. The only thing I would be concerned about is they never mentioned transmission/diff/brake fluid changes. Oil is not the only fluid to be changed in a car.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by budgy
Pay to get the car inspected by a mechanic you know and trust. Realistically other than the paint on the one fender which can be corrected I wouldn't immediately be worried about a whole lot of abuse. This person spent probably 15,000 in parts that BARELY made the car any faster than stock. Its the best kind of investment for someone that wants these flashy show parts but doesn't want to pay the big premium to get them on a 'perfect car' which people will only turn around and label as molested. It's a Honda, not a Ferrari. If the engine is compression tested and comes out a dud offer him less because you will want to buy a used one. The only thing I would be concerned about is they never mentioned transmission/diff/brake fluid changes. Oil is not the only fluid to be changed in a car.
Thank you budgy, you agree with my post. A modded car should not be instantly call molested.

Molested is as Ebay Chinese turbo leaking oil, with no second gear, and a diff that makes a clunking noises on worn tires with wheels from Walmart, cracked rotors and leaking brake cylinders, holes in the rag top, sun baked dash and a mouse dropped interior.

Having parts by Js, ASM, Magan, Skunk, and Mishimoto is not my definition of molesting. If you do not like the whole wide body canard look I agree with you. Budgy made a good point, the guy spent a lot of money on look pretty parts and not much on go fast parts. Most likely it did just that, sat somewhere looking like someone's definition of pretty, again not molested, pampered!

LOL I just had a thought, those guys who told you hell no are probably calling on the car right now!!!!
Old 09-20-2015, 10:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What...that thing is nasty!

Never. Turn it back to OEM then maybe...looking at its modification I wonder how well it is taken care of, mechanically and cosmetically speaking.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:45 AM

Received 1,112 Likes on 990 Posts

He's going to upgrade to a Chevy Astro.

Quick Reply: Official Is This Car Worth It Thread vol 3