S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Official Is This Car Worth It Thread vol 3

Old 02-28-2016, 07:08 AM
TBK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've been looking at a S2000 again. I almost bought one 11 years ago but the wife put the nix on it at the last minute (literally) and I ended up with a CRV for her instead. Well, she's not here to tell me no anymore, so.....

It's a dealer that's out of state about 4 hours from me, we've been negotiating over the phone so far.

2008 NFR
49k miles
Totally stock, all VINs on the body panels
New dealer-installed third party soft top
New tires
Some wear on the drivers seat (they sent me pictures if you need to see them)

We're stuck at 23,500. If I drive 4 hours over there, it will only be once. I'll either drive it home or bring my civic back.... What do you all think, Is this a fair price? Would you pay that?
Old 02-28-2016, 12:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TBK
So I've been looking at a S2000 again. I almost bought one 11 years ago but the wife put the nix on it at the last minute (literally) and I ended up with a CRV for her instead. Well, she's not here to tell me no anymore, so.....

It's a dealer that's out of state about 4 hours from me, we've been negotiating over the phone so far.

2008 NFR
49k miles
New tires

We're stuck at 23,500. If I drive 4 hours over there, it will only be once. I'll either drive it home or bring my civic back.... What do you all think, Is this a fair price? Would you pay that?
22k seems like a more appropriate price to me. But I have not seen how clean it is or isn't. I'd inspect operation and fit of the replacement soft top carefully. How beat up is the driver seat? Maintenance records? If service records are not complete, you might consider (or should get anyway) a pre-purchase inspection.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:23 PM

Hi Guys- first post here, long time auto enthusiast. I am looking at an S2k this weekend and would like your opinion:

2001 GPW with Red interior
-1 owner, 2 sets of keys, owners manual, car cover, ALL original
-clean carfax confirming this
-31k miles
-original top in great shape, car was stored inside under a cover

This is from a DEALER with a good reputation. "Originally asking 18.5" it is now "reduced" to $17,500. What would you offer? I have a trade, and that's a whole 'nother story, but what would be your final offer on the car itself? Is $15k fair or lowball?
Old 02-29-2016, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$17.5 is already a REALLY good price for that car, in my opinion. That is a desirable color combo, looks clean, looks unmolested, such low mileage. That's really hard to beat. And that's a dealer price to boot.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ Damn I'm tempted to jump on it! Would love an AP1 in that color combo. That's a great price already, as mentioned above. Almost low IMO, if the car is really super clean. Looks like red painted calipers in the front. Might check to see if it was ever modded and brought back to stock. Otherwise harmless enough.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:21 AM
TBK

Originally Posted by TBK

2008 NFR
49k miles
New tires

Well, I pulled the trigger. They came down another five hundred on the price, and up another 400 on my trade-in. Still couldn't pull the trigger and walked out. Decided to go back in and hit the restroom before the 3 1/2 hour drive back home. The used car manager came out and said "It's the last day of the month and I have four hours to sell four cars. I'll flip a coin, heads I'll take another thousand off." I won.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:11 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by TBK
Originally Posted by TBK' timestamp='1456675685' post='23893402

2008 NFR
49k miles
New tires

Well, I pulled the trigger. They came down another five hundred on the price, and up another 400 on my trade-in. Still couldn't pull the trigger and walked out. Decided to go back in and hit the restroom before the 3 1/2 hour drive back home. The used car manager came out and said "It's the last day of the month and I have four hours to sell four cars. I'll flip a coin, heads I'll take another thousand off." I won.
Well Played!!
Old 03-03-2016, 05:43 PM

Received 341 Likes on 278 Posts

the fender flares are ass.

oh, that's not what you asked. Stock exhaust $150-$200. OEM AP1 suspension $200. Your labour is free. OUTLAY $400.

Selling the coil overs $500. Exhaust maybe get $800.

Provided the compression is good across all 4 cylinders, clean title, i think you'd more than break even.

good luck
darcy
Old 03-03-2016, 07:24 PM
Site Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 302 Posts

I would really question the clean title here. Something seems off. But to answer your question so long as it checks out it could would out.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay guys, looked at another one this morning.
http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/5478626050.html

It's GPW with tan interior 2003 MY, 60k. Was a two owner car, first owner in GA leased it so detailed maintenance, second owner bought it at 38k in TN and shows no records of maintenance outside of registration updates. The guy showing it worked at Carmax, car came in as a trade and he's trying to flip it. That part bothers me because he let his brother drive it and he's probably put 2,000 hard miles on it hot ridding it around town. However, all ViN stickers in place and it drove perfect, top is brand new and the paint was perfect, no dings, appeared garage kept based on exterior paint quality. Carfax is clean.

Thoughts on this? I would pay a penny over $16k for it based on what I know and would be contingent upon Honda tech doing a thorough check plus compression check.

Quick Reply: Official Is This Car Worth It Thread vol 3