S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Official Is This Car Worth It Thread vol 3

Old 08-03-2016, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a steal! Are you sure the price is accurate and not some kind of gimmick? It looks to be in nice condition too... I'd snag it quick assuming it runs and drives straight.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:18 PM

i bought my 02" AP1 for $6000 (suzuka blue) with 160,000 miles on chassis. Engine swapped with 40,000 miles on it.

CONS:
Paint scratches minimal with front bumper being the worst, with a pea sized ding in the d/s front corner panel.
Drivers seat obviously a little worn, Suspension boots/bushings shot, d/s rear control arm bent, front tires bald, some trim pieces and panel pieces not fully fastened due to the lower frame being a little bent from who knows what, idle fluctuation problem (needed coil packs, cleaned IACV, and ECM replaced), and an alignment was needed.

PROS:
Lowered suspension, 17" front wheels, 18" rear wheels, never driven in snow (from california), included to stock wheels, and PRM air intake, newly installed motorized roof.

it was my friends project car and he dumped $10,000 into fixing it up.
after i bought it, i've now spent about $2,000

QUESTION TO OTHER POSTED REPLIERS: where does someone looking to get a new S2000 obtain a "full inspection" to check for all the issues you've mentioned?

I bought this car with expectations of having to fix a few things up (first car I've ever bought), and I've learned a hell of a lot out of necessity in order to fix it. I'm a complete newbie and my mechanical experience is still 5 outta 10 (i didnt own a single tool), but the effort and knowledge gained is definitely worth the cost so far.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:58 PM

When I drove down to Oregon to purchase my low mileage AP1 I had it inspected at the Beaverton Honda dealership. They had a technician there as I'd already called and set up an appointment. I'd say considering it took about an hour and a half or even two, that they did a plenty thorough inspection. Checked all the body panels for vin numbers, scanned the applicable trouble code which I already knew about (abs light) and were able to confirm just as what the owner said about it--that it was just one of the abs sensors which he had a new used sensor for me to put on when I bought the car. Some people would say avoid the dealership at all costs, but there is a time and a place for everything and this could potentially be one assuming the dealership has competent technicians.

If you know personally of a reputable shop that knows there stuff about S2000's, I'd recommend that over the deal. For example locally knowhing what I do now I wouldn't hesitate to take it to a shop called Stage Auto who sees S2000's on the regular and does great work. Ideally a place that can do body work and mechanical work is where I'd take the car to like the place I just mentioned locally to me.

For such an inspection, expect to pay ~$150-200 without having them run a compression test. I'd say it's worth it in addition to a carfax and auto check for peace of mind about the overall condition of the car before officially pulling the trigger and handing over thousands of dollars.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:36 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You can post in your local forum and see if an experienced member would be able to help a newbie look at a car for a possible purchase or if anyone can recommend a knowledgable S2000 mechanic locally to do a pre-purchase inspection. Dealers are hit or miss--some have techs with S2000 knowledge but many don't.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

MODS - I meant to post this in the "is this car worth it" thread. Please feel free to move it there.

I have been looking at this site and elsewhere for an S2000 for about a year. I already have a couple of fun cars: 1995 NSX and 1966 Lincoln Continental Convertible (both red). Completely opposite ends of the spectrum, but both are a blast. However, my wife really likes white/tan S2000's, so I've found and made an offer on one:

2003, same owner for the last 12 years (retired female), all records, less than 75k miles, never modified, no sign of interior wear that I can pick up based on the pictures the seller sent. I've gotten her down to $12k, which seems like a very solid deal.

Two questions:
1) Thoughts on the price?

2) I've compiled a list of things to have done during the PPI. The Honda dealer closest to her says they will do the PPI for free, so I am a bit concerned it will not be thorough enough without some guidance. I can check things like the vin tags by myself, but I'll have to have the dealer check the items listed below. Please let me know if I am missing anything
  • Engine Compression test
  • Pull the valve cover and inspect for recessed keepers which are caused by cracked retainers
  • Check spark plug torque and axle nut torque
  • Any signs of leaking from the engine, transmission or differential
  • Any signs of rust
  • Damage to frame or underbody panels
  • Condition of axle boot, tie rod boots, ball joints.
  • Exhaust leaks or damage.
  • Wheel bearings

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 08-09-2016, 04:11 PM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

Sounds like a good deal if the exterior is good and it passes the inspection.
Levi
Old 08-09-2016, 04:54 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

A retainer inspection should not be much of a concern at all unless she is an aggressive driver or tracked the car.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hfreak
A retainer inspection should not be much of a concern at all unless she is an aggressive driver or tracked the car.
I thought that might be the case. Frankly, after talking to her, I doubt it went much over 6k for the last 12 years. Not sure about the person who owned it for 18 months before her, but I would imagine any issues would have come up and been dealt with.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:37 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

$12,000 cash money! I'd pay that provided all checks out as you mentioned.

darcy
Old 08-09-2016, 06:54 PM

Man I probably would have bought it already. That's exactly what I'm looking for, for a very reasonable price! Good luck!

Quick Reply: Official Is This Car Worth It Thread vol 3