S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

OH MY GOD MY 07 IS DRIVING ME NUTS!

Old 11-04-2006, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sfkn2,Nov 4 2006, 09:52 AM
How do you guys park if you don't turn steering wheel while at a stop..? I can't tell if you guys are serious or not.
There should never be a reason to "dry steer" (steering while not moving). As mentioned above, it puts a lot of strain on steering components. I have seen people try to parallel park by doing it in stages where they stop, dry steer, move, stop, dry steer, move. That is just really bad driving.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for the first thing, xviper has explained why that happens. you should search his thread for it, but basically when u put the clutch in don't immediatly push it in to first or it will do that. what i do is put it into fourth first and then to first.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by jaws,Nov 4 2006, 12:21 PM
There should never be a reason to "dry steer" (steering while not moving). As mentioned above, it puts a lot of strain on steering components. I have seen people try to parallel park by doing it in stages where they stop, dry steer, move, stop, dry steer, move. That is just really bad driving.
This is a new thing for me. It's impossible to parallel park in the city without dry steering.. lol.

Then again, I've never had a power steering system go out on me before.
Perhaps the EPS on the S is.. weak?
Old 11-04-2006, 12:03 PM

If you use a proper technique to parallel park, there should be no need to steer without the car in motion. Let's think about it.....if the car is not moving then what is the purpose of turning the steering? If you have to stop and turn the wheels to put the car in motion again it's because your approach is wrong and you can't do it in one motion, which you should.

Once in motion, even at very low speed as when maneouvering to park, then you steer as it serves a purpose.

My '05 has the "thump" when selecting 1st gear at a standstill. Not all the time but quite frequently. Enough to be annoying to me.

My differential does not whine. It never has.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:19 PM

How can that many people not realize you shouldn't (and there is never any need to) turn the steering wheel when you not moving? On an enthusiast board no less!
Old 11-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like an old wive's tale to me. Can you point me to some documented steering failures that honda says is caused by turning the wheel while sitting still? Does the EPS overheat if you sit there and crank the wheel back and forth? I can tell you it won't. It'll heat up, but honda reduces boost as the EPS heats up to protect it. How about tied rod wear caused by doing this? Is it a documented problem? Have you ever flat spotted a tire by sitting still and turning the wheel? I surely don't leave a rubber patch when I do this.

Sure, it's better to moving while you turn the wheel. I just don't think you're going to hurt anything if you're not. The number of people who crank the wheel without moving the car is hugely greater than the few purist like yourselves who don't. I haven't seen these cars crashing from broken tie rods.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:42 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. Our power steering works only when the car is standing still or barely moving. The s2000 has no power steering at speed. It puts strain on it, but that is why its there. Our cars have electric power steering. When you drive something like an m3, and turn the wheel all the way while standing still, you will hear the pump straining. Our cars dont have this.

I live in NYC, and you cannot park here without dry steering.

So, I agree, you guys worry WAAAAAY too much.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:50 PM

I've found that the thump when selecting first at a standstill seems to be less for me if I make a point to move the shift lever to the left (i.e. toward me/drivers side) all of the way before and while inserting into 1st. Anyone else notice this? Could just be my car... Are there any mechanical explainations for this?
Old 11-04-2006, 04:47 PM

Parallel parking in San Francisco -
Old 11-04-2006, 05:27 PM

Received 203 Likes on 140 Posts

Its one of those things people don't teach, but you just find out about. Like proper shifting, perhaps.

Sounds like an old wive's tale to me.
Google for "dry steering".

Quick Reply: OH MY GOD MY 07 IS DRIVING ME NUTS!