S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.
View Poll Results: To oil jet bolt or not to oil jet bolt, that is the question.
Yes, change to the new bolts
42.00%
No, Unless you don't sustain high speeds, not worth it.
22.00%
Don't care, my engine is under warrantee.
36.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

To oil jet bolt or not to oil jet bolt, that is the question.

Old 01-04-2003, 03:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who here thinks changing to the new oil jet bolts is worth the trouble?

Perhaps, the infamous Woodwork would say a few words on this subject please.
Old 01-04-2003, 05:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It would be nice if Woodwork said something one way or the other but I doubt that he will. He could be in big "do-do" with Honda should he make such a statement. I think you know where I stand on this so I won't taint your poll (I wouldn't do it if it wasn't for the S/C and the oil pan needing to come off anyway). My bolts are on their way to me now and I'll put them in within a couple of months or so. I'll let you know how tough it is. If it's not too bad and you still want it done, I'll do it for you but it's gonna cost ya a steak dinner and some beer.
Old 01-04-2003, 08:00 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

XV, Former,

Keep us posted on this. Some folks last summer were talking about ordering the bolts, but I don't recall anyone talking about the installation. Good luck.

Hey, do either of you know if Honda actually did phase in the new bolts on all new engines? I think someone conjectured that, but I was wondering if there was any confirmation (like a new part name in the '03 Service Manuals or something like that).

I really hate this lingering question about the lubrication system. I honestly thought Honda did the right thing when they issued the spark plug recall, but they're keeping us in the dark on this subject. Same deal in Canada too, I suppose!

Best wishes, guys. Oh, hey, pay a visit to this thread https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&postid=1255948 and see my pix of the winter wonderland we're having here in New England. They're sort of in the middle of the page.
Old 01-04-2003, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '01 is scheduled to go to Valley Motor Honda 7:30 am Monday morning for the new oil jet bolts (at my expense.) I'll get an oil change and oil filter at the same time.
Old 01-04-2003, 08:34 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Chazmo, surely you've seen this:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=83450 (These fellas are about to do it.)

And this:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=84710
However, unless someone has posted a detailed "photo-documentary" on this install by the time I'm ready to do it, I may post one of my DIY @Home deals on it. But I'm hoping the Chicago boys will do it after next week.

To the best of my knowledge, Honda did in fact switch to the new bolts after a certain VIN in MY'02 (can't remember what that # is, though, sorry). I don't believe the part # changed BUT if you order with the old number, you get the new bolt. Check out HandA's site, they list the bolts at the bottom of their parts page. My bolts are coming from Europe by way of "marcucci's" gracious help.

I'm not so sure Honda will be willing to go the same route as the spark plug thing but maybe publicity and pressure from this forum may change their minds.

Great winter pics! It looked like that here a few days ago. It's hovering around freezing now, so everything's turned to mush.
Old 01-04-2003, 08:42 PM

Thanks for the update, XV. Bookmarking those threads!

That's interesting what Honda did with the part number. Just replace one part with another and not change the name... Hmmmm! I wonder if they've done that kind of thing before.

Good luck to you as well on your effort when you get the bolts from marcucci. This procedure is way above my skill level with cars, so I'd have to rely on a dealer or mechanic to do it. I guess you know where that puts me then on the discussion of go vs. no-go.

Thanks on the pix. It's a real New England winter this year. Just keeps on comin'!

to my Canadian friends (and Barry in Wisconsin as well!! -- Barry I loved that pic of you with the top down in the snow!!!!!)
Old 01-05-2003, 02:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

xviper, I'll take you up on that offer if the install is easy. I've been reading about some of the engine failures and my confidence in the F20C is declining. Then again, I am only in vtec land only 10 sec a week if I am lucky.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:07 AM

Hi guys,

I just went to check out Neb in the garage, and it turns out that my engine number is after F20C1 1025386... I just want to check... where did you guys get the actual information here to determine that that was the cutover point for the 4 hole bolt? Was it in the European TSB? If so, I thought Europeans got a different engine (F20C2 or something like that...).

Thanks!

BTW, Barry, any impressions since you had your bolts changed a few weeks ago? Have you been driving?
Old 02-02-2003, 10:23 AM

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

I have an '03 so I don't have to worry about it, BUT, if I had an older engine I definately would. My reasoning is that Honda changed them for a reason, not to mention they did it mid year '02, not waiting for '03. Even if they won't disclose the reason, this is good enough for me. With the parts on the engine moving so fast, it's absolutely imperative that all the parts have oil all the time, IMO. Oil is your motor's lifeblood, why not give it the best circulatory system possible?

On the engine failure topic: I was worried too, when I bought mine, but keep in mind how tweaked our motor is. Hi-revving, hi-compression, with a complex valvetrain, it's only a matter of time before one goes, and goes big, even if the cause is relatively small..... It's not a big chunk of detroit iron, hefty and slow spinning.
Old 02-02-2003, 11:02 AM

Wicky,

No argument on what you said -- quite right. FYI, there's been a ton of discussion on this topic. What we're discussing here is highly controversial, and AHM has not addressed the North American owner community satisfactorily. I was proud of AHM for dealing with the spark plug recall properly -- there were many naysayers on this board who thought it'd never happen. Unfortunately, the oil bolt change has been met with silence by AHM, which is not good. One highly-respected Honda employee has given some interesting half-information which has not really illuminated the situation.

Anyway, the site search gives you a bunch of hits on "oil bolt". Also, Barry's tracking 4th cylinder scoring in his "short block" thread too. If you want to spend a few hours brushing up on the subject, I highly recommend reading through these.

Best wishes, and congrats on your '03 acquisition (I believe you are correct that this is a non-issue for you)!

Quick Reply: To oil jet bolt or not to oil jet bolt, that is the question.