S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

OK, Am I technically retarded? Please help...(long)

Old 01-29-2001, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No this is not a poll.

This weekend, I attacked the task of installing my Hella twin air horns. (pictures forthcoming) I spent yesterday afternoon fiddling around with this project, but the damn thing still doesn't work. I can't imagine where I went wrong... some background:

I removed the bumper cover, and strongly suggest doing this as it makes access to the horn area MUCH easier. I created a mounting bracket which holds both horn trumpets, and the Hella relay. This assembly was mounted on the right side of the radiator well. The compressor was mounted onto the stock horn bracket on the center cross pillar.

I used 12 gauge wire to make all of my connections to the relay, and to the horn. I also ran 12g from the relay to to the batter. On this line I placed a 20A in-line fuse.

OK, here's the rub: I tested the horn with a 10A fuse in the line (all I had on hand, to my chagrin...) The compressor made a little puff and sure enough the fuse blew, as I knew it would. I got the correct fuse and put it in... Nada.. Nothing... Not even a puff. So I put the car up because I had already wasted much of the afternoon, and there was football to be watched.. This morning, as I'm leaving the house, for kicks, I push the horn button and get a very nice, very loud blast from the twins. That was IT. They would not blast again, and once I got to work I checked the fuse and it is fine.

What the hell could I be doing wrong??? Any input would be appreciated. I am 99.9% sure that all of my connections are sound, but am I missing something?
Old 01-29-2001, 06:21 AM

I can't help you with your question, but what the hell is that car in your signature?!?! It looks absolutelly hot!!. I gather it's a kitted S2000, right? ... the whole front looks like S2000. Well, what is it and where do you get it?
Old 01-29-2001, 06:29 AM

dave,
it's an '02 ('03?) NSX.
Old 01-29-2001, 06:31 AM

My guess is that it's the prototype for the new NSX.
Old 01-29-2001, 06:56 AM
Community Organizer

Received 91 Likes on 76 Posts

Ok back to the topic! I would check one of 2 things. The thing im wondering about is that [gulp] hella relay [/gulp]. That is probably going to be your problem! We never use them. We always used Potter&Brumfield relays. They just got bought out so its under another name now but in any case. If the Fuse is good or so you think....keep hitting the horn tap that relay(with your hand) try it again. Switch out that fuse or take it out look closely again make sure there is no break. Make sure its getting a good connection.

If all that does not work....get a multi meter and test the wires!
HTH.
Old 01-29-2001, 07:00 AM

[green]Check your ground also.[/green]
Old 01-29-2001, 07:12 AM

Thanks for the input, guys. Also, should I be using an in-line BLADE fuse holder and fuse @ 20A or the kind that takes the 1.25 x .25" cylindrical glass fuses? (I'm using the second...)

I will check the grounds and get out the meter...

Yes, I like the next gen. NSX!
Old 01-29-2001, 07:19 AM

Can you hear the relay click when you push the horn? If so, it will isolate the problem to either the relay connection or the horn compressor or the wiring in-between, or the power lead from the battery to the relay. If it doesn't click, it's probably in the line from the horn. This all depends on exactly how exactly you have it wired. Do you have the stock relay in the circuit, or did you bypass it?

I just installed the Hella Supertones, so the horn circuit is fresh in my mind.
Old 01-29-2001, 07:25 AM

The blade types are designed to handle heavier current, but anything rated at 20 amps should work (make sure it's not a 20 ma (milli-amp) fuse).
Old 01-29-2001, 07:37 AM

Well, I just wired the stock horn line (it's a single flimsy light gauge wire, as you know) into the relay.

I haven't checked for clicking, but that's a good idea. I just can't figure out how it "saved up" enough gusto to give me one nice blast this morning, and then nothing. I think I need to review my connections... although this pisses me off, because I went to painstaking trouble to properly crimp my connections well. Maybe I've got a fault connection at the fuse holder...

Thanks again, everyone.

Quick Reply: OK, Am I technically retarded? Please help...(long)