S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Ok, let's let the pictures tell the tale please

Old 03-02-2001, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to proof (oopsie, PROVE) that JR filters are indeed drop in filter, and it fits just fine.

Here you go, I just took these not ten minutes ago:

yeah, sorry, air box is dirty

ok? it fits right in, the "seal" is sitting smack on where it's supposed to fit.

top view, sorry it was out of focus, I did this in a hurry.

sealed view, no problems putting the cover back on, as you can see the seal is fine.

You want the seal of the filter and the rubber tubing to be air tight, no doubt, and here are two real world suggestions I would recommend to anyone who bought the filter from my company:

1. like someone mentioned, a very light application of grease would help.

2. drive your s2k a bit if your weather is cold, let the hose heat up a bit. there can be dramatic differences of the size and the flexibleness of the tubing when stiff cold and warm.

if you have ANY problems at all, ANY questions at all, I'm always happy to answer them in a very expeditious manner.

My apologies to anyone who had slight to big problems with installing it, but I made the stupid assumption that since mine fit perfectly everyone else would too. I stand by my claims (and that of JR's) that this filter is a direct replacement filter or you can call it a drop in filter.

Thank y'all very much (Elvis voice)
Old 03-02-2001, 05:23 PM

Well said
Old 03-02-2001, 08:32 PM

mingster:
Any performance gains with this filter? What's the price difference with the OEM one? Any dynos?
In other words, what should I buy one?
I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just interested in the product.
Old 03-02-2001, 09:39 PM

like I said before, Mine fit great. I got a little better throttle respnse after putting in the new filter, but i just attributed it to me gettintg new mods!
Old 03-02-2001, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by Naka
mingster:
Any performance gains with this filter? What's the price difference with the OEM one? Any dynos?
In other words, what should I buy one?
I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just interested in the product.
Naka, i guess you missed out on all of my previous posts. Do a search on JR filter, and you should see a host of stuff i wrote, including dyno numbers. the final setup is anywhere between 2-4HPs in the mid range.

why would you buy one? JR filter is excellent with their (i'm reading off the catalog here) "...contoured inlet design, allowing not only better air breathing capabilities through the filter element, but also a smoother, less turbulent airflow from the contour of the filter assembly..."

also, you never have to buy a filter again. just clean it like you would a K&N filter.

that's my sales pitch, but personally as an owner i tell you that this filter gives you better throttle response, and it'll pay for itself after a few oil changes.
Old 03-02-2001, 11:30 PM

Mingster,

Any plans for another group buy soon on the JR filter or do you have any from the previous gb?
Old 03-03-2001, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by jas2k
Mingster,

Any plans for another group buy soon on the JR filter or do you have any from the previous gb?
There's a GB on right now, check the GB forum
Old 03-03-2001, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by mingster
2. drive your s2k a bit if your weather is cold, let the hose heat up a bit. there can be dramatic differences of the size and the flexibleness of the tubing when stiff cold and warm.
Another trick: I used a hair dryer to thoroughly heat the intake tube and make it much more flexible.
Old 03-03-2001, 09:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As The Mingster knows I am anxiously awaiting this fine product. If anyone needs the benefits of a drop-in installation it is me. I was voted Most Likely to Screw Up a Drop-in Replacement Air Filter in high school (Hamilton High, West LA, class of '67...check it out if you don't believe me) so if my install goes well than anyone who is not scared literally to death entering Home Depot should do alright. I know you are all dying to hear what happens when I get it so I will be sure to post all the gory details.

By the way, Mingster, is it necessary to use actual K&N oil for these? Any other products work??
Old 03-05-2001, 09:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

And the winner is.......DROP IN!!! As a card-carrying founding member of the All-Thumbs Club of Alameda County I can honestly report that the hardest thing about installing the JR Filter was withstanding the abuse of my wise-guy son who I asked to "help" me. I forgot to start my official NASCAR pit stop timer but I think it takes Gordon's crew longer to do 4 tires and gas (no wedge adjustment though) than it took to put in the filter.

Quick Reply: Ok, let's let the pictures tell the tale please