S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Opinions on S2k about to purchase

Old 07-03-2008, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on S2k about to purchase

I'm bout to pick up this AP2 for 18k with 44.5k miles. It's an 04 with just XM, factory spoiler, and factory splash guard. Aftermarket K&N intake also. Here are some pictures I just wanted to know what yall thought about the price and if thats fair.

These are pictures and the condition. It was listed at 19k but I talked it down because of a paint scrape on the front bumper on the bottom because his wife drove over road humps in his neighborhood too fast. Also ran a carfax and it was clean. He was the second owner and they're both middle aged men in their late 40s. That's about it...please let me know. Thanks guys, this is my first post too I think.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:22 PM

Seems like a pretty good price. If it checks out with a mechanic id get it.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:47 PM

Yeah my friend and I both took it for a spin. The coolant had overflowed at some point though while we were idling in the driveway (not sure if that'd be a big deal). He had the coolant flushed a month ago and the thermostat sensor had to be replaced because a secondary fan on the engine wasn't coming on when it needed to. The temperature gauge didn't show that the engine was overheating.

Pros: tires are almost new with 1000 miles on them. I believe the fronts are Generals...and the rears are Bridgestone Potenza RE050s. There are also speakers in the headrests.

Cons: Some cracks in the driver side leather...I believe this is normal in most leather cars. The center cup holder doesn't gracefully slide back when you press the button. When you press the release it just releases and it sticks there. You have to push it back and there is resistance. If I remember correctly its supposed to slide back on its own. Someone remind me if I am correct.

If I remember anything else then I'll make sure to post.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:24 PM

Great Buy!
Get it, tinker till you get it the way you want it.
Seat wear is the norm. Everything else can be repaired and maintained.
Great Toy!
Old 07-04-2008, 02:52 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Looks like a good buy to me.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:04 AM

I'd pass...It seems like the car wasn't maintained very well. those are easy fixes, but he didn't fix them..this would lead me to believe he didn't take care of the car very well.

try to get records of all oil changes and work done to the car. If he has them all, maybe I'm wrong.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Enthralled,Jul 4 2008, 03:04 AM
I'd pass...It seems like the car wasn't maintained very well. those are easy fixes, but he didn't fix them..this would lead me to believe he didn't take care of the car very well.

try to get records of all oil changes and work done to the car. If he has them all, maybe I'm wrong.
What do you mean it wasn't maintained well? The thermostat being replaced and the coolant overflow? Unfortunately he's the second owner and he's only driven it about 3k since he got it. He says its his weekend car. He said the previous owner had it in Chicago and drove it 41k as a dd. Claimed that he used all synthetic oil changes. I found some other ones in Houston that I might try out before I put any deposit down on this one.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Enthralled,Jul 4 2008, 03:04 AM

Also when we drove it. He allowed us to take it for a test drive between the two of us. We were able to take it up to 7k and up to 3rd gear before we hit traffic. My friend said the engine felt mechanically perfect and he's pretty much driven alot of cars and taken apart alot of them too. It drives straight without having to touch the steering wheel.

The guy did show us the receipt from Goodson Honda West yesterday from when they changed the thermostat sensor and did the coolant flush. Also included a full synthetic mobile one oil change. He said he was gonna include a case plus filters but that wasn't a big selling point for me. He said the previous guy did the same. I will ask him for all the records if he has them. I believe he would have them. He says this was his second s2k and he always gets them serviced at the dealer.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:50 AM

Interesting thing I just found. I was looking for more s2ks on Craigslist and I found out that this guy has been trying to sell this car since May 20th, 2008. It might have been longer because Craigslist deletes postings older than 45 days. His first post was for $19.9k and a month later on June 20, 2008 he relisted at 19k. Don't know if the car was too much or if no one saw it on craigslist. I actually found it while searching autotrader so yeah.

He did say that the other owner garaged it in the winter. So we didn't see any rust underneath when we had it on the lift. Other than that...thats all that I can think of right now.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:29 AM

I have an 05 and my center cup holder tray does not slide back under its own power.

I didnt notice until I got a ride in someone elses s2k that it even did that!

Quick Reply: Opinions on S2k about to purchase