S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Opinions on selling an OEM hardtop

Old 05-27-2018, 05:04 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

The two cars are obviously completely different and I could totally justify having both, especially if I could swing it by selling a hardtop that I would never, or rarely, use. Seems like a no-brainer, even if you don't keep the mustang.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:00 AM

Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

The hardtop is easily worth 3 grand and I have seen some individuals ask for 4 grand for this part. If you will never use it then the monetary value is what you're after. I have a hardtop that I bought when I daily drove my S. It afforded extra warmth in the winter and extra security when I parked it. I no longer daily drive the S and I love top down but I always get double looks and thumbs up when I show up at the meets with my hardtop on.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
Thanks for all of the input. I am going to think some more but it sure is tempting to justify keeping my Cobra. I had made up my mind to sell it when I bought my Honda and then had second thoughts, of course. No buyer's remorse on the S2000.
I know this thread is a couple months old but do you mind if I ask what you ended up doing? I am in a similar position where I may purchase one with a near mint OEM hardtop. The car is a little bit more expensive than what I had budgeted for an s2000 and I was thinking about buying it and then turning around and selling the hardtop as a way to offset the extra cost. It will not be my daily and I don't have a need for the hardtop and as a matter of fact don't really even like the look (I know I'm the minority here on that). Thanks

Old 07-23-2018, 10:20 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hard top and all it’s hardware= realitivly quick 3500 in fall, drive with it a few times to decide, I like mine but only use it a few times a year, it sits on car in winter.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:10 AM

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,001 Posts

If selling something you don't use helps you keep something you enjoy, it should be obvious to sell it.

On the other hand, hardtop will only increase in value, and its easy to sell. So if money ever does become needed in an emergency, you could sell the top then (obviously if its an urgent emergency and you need cash NOW, this isn't the best plan. It will takes weeks to sell.)

But if you really do never end up using it, you are basically treating it as an investment. You risking the thing being damaged and losing value, and you are banking on it increasing in value more than some other investment. Its a very bad investment.

If you know you won't invest the money if you sell, well then you should just do what feels right.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:47 AM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

There is a very small but seemingly constant demand for them. And from the asking prices I assume they sell for good prices (good for the seller). These look like a PITA to prepare for shipping and there are parts that have to be removed from the donor car to go with the roof.

-- Chuck
Old 07-23-2018, 11:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're never going to use it.... Outside of the $$$ - it may become just another thing taking up space. BTW - if you're in the southeast, I am interested in it.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:09 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

I did end up selling it. I was never going to use it and the buyer came to pick it up. With the sale of that I am in this beautiful car I bought in May for less than $9500. I feel it was worth more to sell on its own than to include it with the car if I ever decide to sell.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:20 PM

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

I did end up selling it. I was never going to use it and the buyer came to pick it up. With the sale of that I am in this beautiful car I bought in May for less than $9500. I feel it was worth more to sell on its own than to include it with the car if I ever decide to sell.
Congrats! Probably a wise decision for you. Does that mean, that you sold the top for over 4K? Bodes well for people who own hardtops.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:57 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Nice! Hardtops are not that dissimilar to other modifications in that to obtain the most money for them it is probably best to sell them separately. I would only be willing to sell to someone in person as I definitely would not want to deal with the packing and shipping of a hardtop. Otherwise if I bought a car that came with a hardtop then I'd probably just seal it up and try to find a safe place to store it away as I'd still want to keep the car's soft top up during the winter. If I couldn't find a buyer to take it off my hands in person I'd just sell the hardtop with the car whenever that time came. Cars that come with hardtops are definitely going to appeal more to some than to others. Find the right buyer and you're good. But for those like me it would have to be more of an "add-in" for not too much more money as I wouldn't be keeping it. Sounds like you fell into this second category and I'm glad that it worked out well for you.

Quick Reply: Opinions on selling an OEM hardtop