S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Opinions on VIN stickers

Old 02-23-2017, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Opinions on VIN stickers

So I've been looking for a s2000 for about 6 months now. I'm pretty much looking for a stock, clean, no accident 02+ s2000 <$20K. I don't really have a preference for ap1 or ap2. but every time I think I've come across a clean s2000 with a clean carfax/autocheck, i find out that there is missing VIN sticker or two. It's usually on the front or rear bumpers. of course the owner knows nothing about it or knows nothing about an accident, replacement, or repainting of the area. there's got to be a backstory to why it's missing, right? i even saw an 1-owner ap2 that had missing both front and rear bumper VINs. but again, no reasonable explanation. Is it possible that these stickers just flake off over time or something?

Am I just making a big deal over nothing? To the current or past owners that bought their cars used, did having all 10 VIN stickers matter to you?

The reason I am asking is I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 65K ap2 but missing VINs on the rear bumper and trunk with no accidents on carfax and word of mouth from the owner. I'm thinking something must have happened to the rear. So every time I think about the missing VINs on this car, it annoys the heck out of me that I'm thinking about just waiting longer and hoping I come across a car with all 10 VINs. But it feels like these days I'm looking for a unicorn or something with these cars at over ~10+ years old. I've read other stories where ppl looked for years and years till they found the perfect one and maybe that'll just be me.

Thoughts?
Old 02-23-2017, 02:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A completely intact s2000 is hard to find. They are also at the highest point of sale price. You can find them but be prepared to spend a very high premium. They usually have very low miles. Unless you are a collector that's not going to drive it much it may be way overkill to expect all Vin's to be there. Still doesn't mean no damage ever. Just either be well educated or have someone that is check it out.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Halfassjack
A completely intact s2000 is hard to find. They are also at the highest point of sale price. You can find them but be prepared to spend a very high premium. They usually have very low miles. Unless you are a collector that's not going to drive it much it may be way overkill to expect all Vin's to be there. Still doesn't mean no damage ever. Just either be well educated or have someone that is check it out.
That's exactly what I'm learning. I didn't realize it would be this hard to find one with all VINs intact. When I first read the checklist of how to buy a used s2000 and it said check for 10 VINs, I thought "oh okay. Easy enough. A simple thing to check off". I haven't yet checked this off.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:48 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

They are out there, all three below have all 10 VIN's on the panels. Good luck with your search.
The following users liked this post:
ddong2lee (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 03:32 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by ddong2lee
So I've been looking for a s2000 for about 6 months now. I'm pretty much looking for a stock, clean, no accident 02+ s2000 <$20K. I don't really have a preference for ap1 or ap2. but every time I think I've come across a clean s2000 with a clean carfax/autocheck, i find out that there is missing VIN sticker or two. It's usually on the front or rear bumpers. of course the owner knows nothing about it or knows nothing about an accident, replacement, or repainting of the area. there's got to be a backstory to why it's missing, right? i even saw an 1-owner ap2 that had missing both front and rear bumper VINs. but again, no reasonable explanation. Is it possible that these stickers just flake off over time or something?

Thoughts?
I wouldn't think so but maybe after 15 yrs. or so it can happen. Hopefully someone has a proper answer.
Levi
Old 02-23-2017, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Hfreak
They are out there, all three below have all 10 VIN's on the panels. Good luck with your search.
Thanks! maybe it's my price range or search radius...
Old 02-23-2017, 03:46 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

VIN stickers don't just flake off. even if you try to remove them forcibly, they won't come off in 1 piece and they will usually leave a specialized adhesive residue behind, sometimes leaving the words "void" behind. I think you get the idea that they aren't meant to be removed. If a bumper is missing them and there is no painted-over vin sticker or painted-over residue, then the bumper has been replaced completely or someone scraped the sticker off clean with a razor --ie it was purposeful.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chris_Lum:
ddong2lee (02-23-2017), NNY S2k (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the other day I attempted to scrape off my old tag on the fender that was busted up to reattach. They in fact are not possible to remove them intact, not even close. I tried to CUT the paint to the metal witha blade, heat, etc, they are not going to be a possible thing. The older cars I have been able to do something like this….not the Honda S2k's
after my attempt, the tag is now pretty much destroyed, I should have just taken a sawzall and cut out the thing...
Old 02-23-2017, 05:18 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Stay strong, they are out there. Took me forever to find mine.

And then over the years, I've been hit twice, so my sticker virginity is long gone
ddong2lee (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 05:46 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

P.S. Saw one posted on s2ki if you're looking for an unmolested AP1 -- wow this one is clean, reasonably priced, and the owner has his post together:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/cars-sal...stone-1169451/
ddong2lee (02-23-2017)

Quick Reply: Opinions on VIN stickers