S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Are our Seattle / Earthquake area members okay?

Old 02-28-2001, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone congregated onto Red Square here on the UW campus. It was pretty wild to see so many students at once there. Two female friends of mine puked. It's usually packed in between classes, but never like this. Everything at the UW is fine. Sunchild, you got nothing to worry about. Everyone is back to work right now. Even that old Suzzallo library--ironically being retrofitted for quake readiness currently--is still up and good.

Now people on the bridges must've been scared out of their wits. Wish classes were cancelled!
Old 02-28-2001, 01:15 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I work about 20 miles North of Seattle in Everett and the quake was not very big at all up here.
Old 02-28-2001, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by RT
I work about 20 miles North of Seattle in Everett and the quake was not very big at all up here.
Glad to see you are OK RT !!
Old 02-28-2001, 01:34 PM

Just to keep this on topic...I was in my S2K heading out to lunch when I felt the car wiggle. Damn a flat tire I thot and pulled over to check. The car kept wiggleing, I kept wiggling the street light poles were swaying. wild ride.
the old SO2's were ok so off to the bar for lunch. Traffic is a total nightmare now so no point tring to make it home.
6.8 no aftershocks expected no causelties yet. few roads closed airport closed 17000 peeople without power

we got off pretty lucky!
Old 02-28-2001, 01:44 PM

here's a link to some decent info on it:
http://komotv.com/

been away for 12 years and I can still remember call letters for TV stations there...
Old 02-28-2001, 02:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Wild ride!!! I was on the third floor at work in Bellevue. Same building "ScottB" was in. 30-40 seconds swaying 2-3 feet. All the drawers opened up and some cubicals fell apart. Walls in the stair wells cracked. Power went out almost instantly.

Everyone seems to be OK so far.

To keep things on topic, I saw 3 different S2000s on the way home. Including ScottB's sitting in the dark parking garage. One silver, two red.

Also, the only scarry part was when I got home. One of my roommates said, "Everything is fine here. Except the tool boxes in the garage fell onto your car."

She was only kidding.
Old 02-28-2001, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by KenS2K
Wild ride!!! I was on the third floor at work in Bellevue. Same building "ScottB" was in. 30-40 seconds swaying 2-3 feet. All the drawers opened up and some cubicals fell apart. Walls in the stair wells cracked. Power went out almost instantly.

Everyone seems to be OK so far.

To keep things on topic, I saw 3 different S2000s on the way home. Including ScottB's sitting in the dark parking garage. One silver, two red.

Also, the only scarry part was when I got home. One of my roommates said, "Everything is fine here. Except the tool boxes in the garage fell onto your car."

She was only kidding.
Hey, Ken. Glad you made it out of that mess! While in the garage I was unsure of whether it would collapse on me or I would suffocate from all the carbon monoxide! Worse for me, I was very low on fuel. I would have been fine to get gas on the way home from a normal commute, but not having anticipated this I was quite concerned. With all the power outages I could not get to place for fuel until I was almost home. I had less than a gallon! <gulp>. On the plateau where I live (14 miles east of Bellevue where Ken and I work) it seemed that nothing happened. Stuff I have in my house that would fall over if I blew hard, were all in place. Power was also uninterrupted.

I'm glad this gave you a chance to update your Seattle quote, ken.
Old 02-28-2001, 03:14 PM

To keep this on topic... I saw FOUR S2000s the other day when the Earth was not shaking.

One dude was driving a red S2000... hey, guy, wash your damn car. You make the other S2000s look bad. Ugly exhaust, too. It's all shakin' up and down cuz it wasn't intstalled right (Bellevue 405).

There are a lot of S2000s here in Seattle/Bellevue. Damn!
Old 02-28-2001, 04:03 PM

My reaction

Hey, it was't fun. I worked downtown on the 35th floor. As it was starting I was looking out the window. Then all in a sudden, things started falling left and right on me. The whole building and it's floor feels soft. I swear the other building across from us was swinging 3-4 feet back and forth as our's was doing the same.

The worse is that the elavator is down right after the quake, and we were stuck up there for 2 hours.

I feel better after an architect friend of mine called and told me the newer high rises are actually very safe. Doesn't feel like it though.

Good that my stook is saftly stored under the garage. Some cars in downtown got crush by bricks.

John
Old 02-28-2001, 06:17 PM

Yap, my S2K did have to suffer through the 5.0 magnitude of it that hit use in Vancouver/Portland. I almost had a plant hit me in the head. Very scary for us since we basically work on a sand bar 30 feet from the Willamette river in a building that was just structurally reinforced because it has a large crack in the front.

Quick Reply: Are our Seattle / Earthquake area members okay?