S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Overnight Security in motel/hotel parking lots - any opinions?

Old 04-22-2012, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Park under a bright light. never park in the dark.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by homersapiens
Just how paranoid should I be about security of the car?
Subjective matter. I've stayed countless nights on road trips across the US and had no problems with my S. YMMV. Take whatever precautions you think you need to take.

Originally Posted by homersapiens
I have read about the need for seat locks, but this sounds more like a "California issue" to me
Definitely not. Seat theft isn't limited to California.

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Back to my point on seat lock decals, they are most important as deterrents to getting the roof cut in the first place.
Citation? How are you collecting statistics on the effectiveness of the decals?
Old 04-23-2012, 05:06 AM

Received 3,465 Likes on 2,491 Posts

I think I worded my reply incorrectly. What I meant to say is that seat lock decals are best used for deterrent purposes, no statistics here and I can't say how effective they really are. But all I'm saying is that if you are going to install seat locks you might as well put on some decals too, there is no point in putting on seat locks just to have a thief cut your roof and then discover the locks after the fact, that would be pointless. It's like posting the home alarm sign on your house, it might deter the petty thief. I wouldn't use seat locks or decals without the other, use both or don't use any.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:45 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by chuhsi
i wouldn't bother with seat locks. if someone steals your seats, your car will either get totaled or you'll get a huge check and make thousands of dollars.
Kind of sucks in the middle of an out of state vacation to have a car with no seats in it. They may cut my top. They may get frustrated and slash my seats. At least I have a shot at driving it home.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OneSilverS2k
Honestly, the last thing I care about are my seats, the top will be ripped open, that is expensive.
Seat locks are only 60 bucks. How much is a tow? You can't drive your car home or to the repair shop without seats.

Even with free towing and insurance to make you whole again, to me it's well worth 60 bucks to guarantee that a thief won't be rewarded for slashing my top. If he screws up my car but has to walk away empty-handed, I still get the last laugh.

Attractive easy to steal seats are the problem. Seat locks are the solution.

The more S2000s that have seat locks, the more thieves will get deterred from trying to harvest our seats, and the less tops will get slashed in the long run.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by chuhsi
i wouldn't bother with seat locks. if someone steals your seats, your car will either get totaled or you'll get a huge check and make thousands of dollars.
If thefts and vandalism to cars went down, insurance premiums would eventually go down, and we'd all net thousands of dollars
Old 04-23-2012, 08:07 AM

seatlocks,clutch/brake lock,quick release and 2-way alarm will def help... you can also wire a fuel cut off switch. but all of that is useless if they decide to just tow it. Having good insurance w/ low deductible might be the best thing nowadays...
Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by obsess2k'ed
Originally Posted by chuhsi' timestamp='1335154872' post='21633474
If thefts and vandalism to cars went down, insurance premiums would eventually go down, and we'd all net thousands of dollars
Although this is nice to dream about, I suspect that the extra money would just be spent by giving law enforcement more LIDARs/Radar Guns, etc. However, having seat locks isn't a bad idea. Even better might be putting on a hard top for an extended trip. It does mess with the ability to drive "topless", but it does wonders for peace of mind when your car is in a garage where you can't see it.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by TVPincDoc
Originally Posted by obsess2k'ed' timestamp='1335194220' post='21634400
[quote name='chuhsi' timestamp='1335154872' post='21633474']
Although this is nice to dream about, I suspect that the extra money would just be spent by giving law enforcement more LIDARs/Radar Guns, etc.[/quote]

Insurance companies give their profits to police departments? I thought they were funded through our tax dollars.

Maybe I'm naive but I thought prices for goods and services were set via market pressures, including competition. One thing is for sure, premiums cannot go lower than expenses which includes payouts. The more insurance payouts go up, the more our rates will have to go up to cover them.

Insurance companies don't make money by giving away money for nothing. If payouts drop, profits are higher and insurance companies, in theory, have the ability to "pass the savings along to us". Why would they want to do that? To make more profits by winning business from their competitors.

I'm not pretending to be an economics or insurance expert but this just seems like common sense to me. The profits car thieves make have to come from somewhere, and it's not "the man" who pays; we do.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:44 PM

No one has mentioned using a car cover over the car. Does that seem just silly or counterproductive or do you think it might help security?

Quick Reply: Overnight Security in motel/hotel parking lots - any opinions?