Paranoia? - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Paranoia?

Old 01-10-2018, 01:06 PM

Default Paranoia?

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but does all of the info on this site make anyone else paranoid about every noise or perceived change in the performance of your S? I've owned my stock '06 Suzuka Blue S for a little over a year. I've made it a habit of reading through this forum to get an idea of the trouble spots and fixes for this car. So far, I've changed the fluids, adjusted the valves and addressed some of the sharp edges on the soft top frame that can cause it to tear. I've also found myself checking the compression several times just for piece of mind. Not that any of these things are bad or extremely time consuming, but I've never fretted over a car like this before. It's not the investment. I paid more for my '88 Turbo RX-7 and much more for my '04 RX-8.

My plan has always been to maintain my S to get as much pleasure out of driving it as I can. This car is used by members of this forum for many different purposes, as a daily driver, a weekend fun car, a track car... Each of these pose different demands on the car and require different levels of maintenance. It's hard to dig through a lot of the information to find the level of maintenance to meet my needs.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:38 PM

I don't think you are alone in that
Old 01-11-2018, 06:57 AM

Paranoid? No. More educated? Perhaps.
It sounds like you are staying on top of maintenance just fine. Use common sense, keep fluids fresh, check rubber components for drying or cracking. Adjust the valves on occasion and you will be fine. The maintenance for a tracked car vs a street car is actually not really any different other than the frequency.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:38 AM

I think you need to find the right balance, it's good to be informed and stay on top of things, but don't let it take away from the joy of ownership. For the most part the S2000 is an extremely reliable vehicle, if you stay on top of the regular maintenance items, you will have many years and miles of enjoyment.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:15 AM

I agree with above. All the information on this site is for education. The amount of knowledge may seen overwhelming because this is an enthusiasts site for an enthusiasts car.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:10 PM

If I'm being totally honest, then yes a little paranoid at times with wanting to make sure that I've done everything correctly when working on the car for example. But that just tends to be how I get sometimes when it comes to things I value — especially when they are still "new to me". This site is really helpful though with lots of great info to look through.

I'm probably not nearly as paranoid as I would be if I had paid this much. Jeez. What the?
Old 01-11-2018, 02:34 PM

Yes. The only point of buying anything nice is to become a slave to worry and anxiety. How else does one enjoy anything?!!
Old 01-11-2018, 02:37 PM

The truth is...I've owned mine for 12 years. There's not much to worry about.

1.) Its just a stupid car.
2.) Its not easily breakable.
3.) I generally (in life) know what to worry about and what to ignore. It only took me like...1.5 decades on this planet to figure most of that out.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by B serious View Post
3.) I generally (in life) know what to worry about and what to ignore.
Good point. Thanks Barney!
Old 01-11-2018, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by B serious View Post
3.) I generally (in life) know what to worry about and what to ignore. It only took me like...1.5 decades on this planet to figure most of that out.
Is this timing of figuring it out post birth or puberty? Just asking...for a friend.