S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Paranoia?

Old 01-12-2018, 02:31 PM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by lookstoomuch
Is this timing of figuring it out post birth or puberty? Just asking...for a friend.
Valid question! I did live on another planet before puberty. Or...was it after puberty?

Who remembers this stuff?!
Old 01-12-2018, 03:07 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Similar sentiment for me.

Just be warned -- sometimes checking stuff over and over can lead to mistakes, breaking parts, or other modes of failure. When in doubt, KISS, follow the manual, and have faith in Honda engineering.

Having said that, I think if you do the following, you'll be OK forever:
  • Watch oil levels
  • Proper torque of spark plugs (22 ft-lb)
  • Proper fluid change intervals
  • Proper valve adjustments in proper intervals (see Billman250 warning for F22C)
  • Proper tires for weather (and tread/inflation)
That's really about it. Don't mis-shift. Don't lift or break in corners. Car will be fine. Enjoy it.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:42 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the utmost respect for Honda reliability, which is one of the reasons I decided to buy an S and not replace my RX8. I guess that most of my paranoia is a result of not being the sole owner of the car. All of my previous sports cars were purchased new, so I knew how the cars were maintained. Carfax & AutoCheck histories can only tell you so much.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that feeling very well but as stated above Honda probably makes some of the best engines in the world.

However, it's still easy to freak out when you think that you hear a "new" noise that you haven't heard before..
Old 01-17-2018, 02:33 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

HaHaHa

You couldn't handle a Porche/BMW/Benz etc

They have real problems on their sites and almost never talk about color combos
Old 01-19-2018, 01:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry100
HaHaHa

You couldn't handle a Porche/BMW/Benz etc

They have real problems on their sites and almost never talk about color combos
LMAO!

I have always been paranoid about smells and noises, often from other vehicles. It bothered me more when I was younger, because I couldn't afford to fix things if they broke. That, and my first 2 cars were 90's domestic, and had issues and were unreliable. My 3rd car was a 99 SI (Canadian, EX to you US folks). I had it for 4 years through university, bought it with 225k km, sold it with 265k km. Only issues was aftermarket exhaust related. Pretty sure I went almost a year between an oil change once. Thing was amazing.

I've owned my S for going on 4 years. I was easy on it the first 2 summers. Now, I'll rev it up all the time, it was made to do it. Make sure you keep an eye on your oil and just go. I check it every fill up, which is weekly. When it gets low, I'll put some in. Have no worries at all. Thinking about selling it for an e46 M3. Now THAT car will give me paranoia lol.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by coop3422
LMAO!

I have always been paranoid about smells and noises, often from other vehicles. It bothered me more when I was younger, because I couldn't afford to fix things if they broke. That, and my first 2 cars were 90's domestic, and had issues and were unreliable. My 3rd car was a 99 SI (Canadian, EX to you US folks). I had it for 4 years through university, bought it with 225k km, sold it with 265k km. Only issues was aftermarket exhaust related. Pretty sure I went almost a year between an oil change once. Thing was amazing.

I've owned my S for going on 4 years. I was easy on it the first 2 summers. Now, I'll rev it up all the time, it was made to do it. Make sure you keep an eye on your oil and just go. I check it every fill up, which is weekly. When it gets low, I'll put some in. Have no worries at all. Thinking about selling it for an e46 M3. Now THAT car will give me paranoia lol.
I feel this pretty heavy. I have an E30 with 262k miles - takes a few cranks to start, different interior bits rattle depending on the rpm, exhaust is loud, stiff coilovers, etc. and I dont worry about it for a second when driving. Just bought an S2000, had a PPI done at Ballade and received all positive feedback, changed oil/transmission/diff fluids, inspection done at the Honda dealer and received all thumbs up, and still get paranoid about any new (to me) noises. Just part of getting used to the car.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:03 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Talk about fuel for the fire. I just saw the thread about Thrust Washer Failures on '06-09 engines. I immediately went into the garage to do an "eye test" on the crank movement using Billman's "static" method on my '06. I didn't see any excessive movement. I'll need to take an actual measurement just to be safe.

I guess that I missed this thread when it originally appeared. I'll be bypassing the clutch interlock switch. I've always hated having to press the clutch to start the car. I've driven manual transmission cars since high school (40+ years ago), so I know about making sure that the car in in neutral. I never knew that depressing the clutch to start the car could be detrimental.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:07 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by jts09
Talk about fuel for the fire. I just saw the thread about Thrust Washer Failures on '06-09 engines. I immediately went into the garage to do an "eye test" on the crank movement using Billman's "static" method on my '06. I didn't see any excessive movement. I'll need to take an actual measurement just to be safe.

I guess that I missed this thread when it originally appeared. I'll be bypassing the clutch interlock switch. I've always hated having to press the clutch to start the car. I've driven manual transmission cars since high school (40+ years ago), so I know about making sure that the car in in neutral. I never knew that depressing the clutch to start the car could be detrimental.
I went back and looked at the thread and I did not see anything in Billman's comments about his "eye test" for "static" methods. Can you provide any link?
Old 03-03-2018, 09:25 AM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
I went back and looked at the thread and I did not see anything in Billman's comments about his "eye test" for "static" methods. Can you provide any link?
Avoid spreading the paranoia, Cosmo. Because if you of all people worry about this, then I'm going to have to do it too

Quick Reply: Paranoia?