S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

passenger window and top won't go down

Old 07-20-2006, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could it just be that the power window motor on the passenger side is bad? If it is bad wouldn't the top fail to operate as a safety feature since the window won't go down? He said "no power coming out the motor plug when I hit the switch" which sounds like the motor or regulator has a short and works intermittantly. I would assume would now be power if he checked it again.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:05 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't think so, chick... I think the top will operate regardless, even if the auto-down windows isn't working. Not certain about that though.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chickdr,Jul 20 2006, 07:04 PM
He said "no power coming out the motor plug when I hit the switch" which sounds like the motor or regulator has a short and works intermittantly. I would assume would now be power if he checked it again.
This is something that lacked a bit of clarity. Did he check the power at the plug and found none? Or did he hot wire the motor and check the ground on the motor and got none? Having no power in the plug wouldn't necessarily mean the motor is bad. He would have to hot wire the motor to tell that for sure. If there is no power at the plug, the fault is further upstream.
This is but one problem. He also states that the top switch does nothing to either window and top.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Jul 20 2006, 08:22 PM
This is something that lacked a bit of clarity. Did he check the power at the plug and found none? Or did he hot wire the motor and check the ground on the motor and got none? Having no power in the plug wouldn't necessarily mean the motor is bad. He would have to hot wire the motor to tell that for sure. If there is no power at the plug, the fault is further upstream.
This is but one problem. He also states that the top switch does nothing to either window and top.
pulled the plug off the motor, hit the window down switch while testing the plug for any voltage. outcome = 0
Old 07-22-2006, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Jul 20 2006, 07:55 PM
You've got possibly two things going on that's not right (windows and top). Your pass. window did not work no matter what combination of things you did. The top button doesn't work anything (both windows and top).
The pass. window is dependent upon the lock-out switch on the driver's door controls. However, the top switch will defeat the lock-out switch whenever it's used and should make both windows operate.
You have one of the following acting up:
- The master window control switch on the driver's door (which incorporates the power window control unit).
- Convertible top control unit (behind the passengers knee panel).
- Convertible top switch.
The tests for these are quite extensive. I'm afraid you'll have to wait till it acts up again and take it in to have them do all the tests on these components.

The speed sensor and ebrake switch has no bearing upon the window operation when using the window switches. The fact that the pass. window will not work with either switch is baffling.
you seem to have it down, i will def bring it in next time it goes bad. one last thing though, i noticed that if the whole thing was not working, it was not working when i started the car. meaning, if i started the car and the window worked, it would not just stop working while driving down the road. this is somethign that makes me for sure think it's a problem with an electronic component, otherwise if it was mechanical or just some bad connections it would be intermitent while driving and hitting bumps.

it's early so i hope that makes sense right now.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:06 AM

Did you check the fusebox in the engine bay? I had a smiliar issue, not with all your symptoms, involving the passenger window. It was an unusual fuse, a big "square blue one". Pulling out your manual will detail which one.

I appreciate Xviper was more scientific diagnosing a problem. Checking this $1.00 fuse may fix part of the problem.

Good luck.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by an_other,Jul 22 2006, 09:06 AM
Did you check the fusebox in the engine bay? I had a smiliar issue, not with all your symptoms, involving the passenger window. It was an unusual fuse, a big "square blue one". Pulling out your manual will detail which one.

I appreciate Xviper was more scientific diagnosing a problem. Checking this $1.00 fuse may fix part of the problem.

Good luck.
It's always good to check fuses, but a blown fuse doesn't mend itself and I don't think this car uses breakers that reset themselves at a whim.
I still think it's one of the electronic components. This may be a controller unit, defeat switch or a really goofy connector issue. With most things electrical or electronic, he's gonna need lots of luck and sometimes, dumb luck is the best of all.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:54 AM

I'm by no means disagreeing with you. I'm unashamed to say I'm a humble grasshopper with respect to your knowledge.

My thinking is it could be a conspiracy of components. If the passenger window can be fixed, then the next item can be reviewed.

It's a fair statement this probably will require hands on work by a good mechanic.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:16 AM

Like I said, it's always good to check fuses, so please don't take offense.
It's fuse #52 and #55 that are the top motor fuses:
Old 07-23-2006, 09:21 AM

Well done, mate. My issue was #52. It rattled loose somehow.

Can't figure out the reason why it happened. I'll blame those #$% speed bumps which I gingerly drive over.

Quick Reply: passenger window and top won't go down