S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Planning long trip, need advice

Old 05-01-2001, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have room, take along a small bottle of your favorite window cleaner and some clean towels. You'll want to keep those windows sparkling. It's likely that some gas stations won't have any decent window cleaning facilities.
Old 05-01-2001, 04:20 PM
Banned

As Harry found out when he lost his keys - an extra set is a lifesaver!

You also might want to take another 93 S2000's with you - I hear that is a blast!
Old 05-01-2001, 04:50 PM

Actually, I think you should post your route and see if you can get contact info for S2000 owners along the route. We may not be as tightly knit as BMWMO as stated above, but most of us will come to the aid of our fellow S2k owners.
Sounds like a blast Scott! Pls update us if you can!
Old 05-01-2001, 04:57 PM

Sounds like you may be due for an oil and filter change before your trip is done. (4000 Miles)
Old 05-01-2001, 08:11 PM

Oil change at 7500 but take a quart or two in case. Why would you drive the whole thing alone? Is this some kind of soul searching thing. Cool idea - kinda like being Kane in an S2000 going from town to town.

The S2000 isn't the best touring car. Cockpit is small, storage minimal, and the ride is rough. Good Luck
Old 05-01-2001, 10:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Valentine One
2. Eye drops
3. Caffeine, caffeine, caffeine
4. AAA (if you don't have it and end up needing it, call their 1-800 number, ask to sign up with your credit card, then ask for a tow truck...)
5. GPS

This all coming from someone who just finished 3600 very drowsy hours in the car. Enjoy, and if you'll be in Texas, PM me and I'll give you my number...
Old 05-01-2001, 11:09 PM

Hey-

1. Spare key on leash in pant/shorts pocket/ around neck for emergency.

2. GPS. If you're traveling by yourself, it's a must. Radar detector is up high on this list too.

3. Cell phone. Emergencies require other people's help...

4. Fix-a-flat. Like someone else here said, it's quicker and easier as a quick fix to get you off the roadside quickly. Definitely the safer route.

5. Enough clothes to get you from one city to another. For me, that usually that means 3 sets.

6. Spare brake pads, both front and rear. You never know...

7. Extra water for anything- you or the car. A quart of oil in the trunk, with regular maintenance done EVERY DAY- checking all fluids before starting every day.

8. Emergency flares.

9. Tool kit including all sockets, a torque wrench to retorque the wheels every day, a safety wire plier and safety wire for emergencies, zip ties (lots of them), electrical tape, duct tape (can work as electrical tape in a bind), utility knife, work gloves, latex gloves to keep grease/oil off your hands, basic first aid kit including headache medication, sunblock, lip balm etc...

10. Spare fasteners. These can be anything from nuts and bolts to hose clamps. Of course, the one thing that can break will be the one item you didn't think you'd ever need- which is why duct tape and zip ties are so important...

11. A camera. Just to record whatever you see that you want to remember.

I think that's most of it. I'd include a nice floor jack on the list but the trunk is just too small for that.
Old 05-02-2001, 02:09 AM

Take a small funnel to help when adding oil.

I was XX down after the dragon runs last Friday and had a hard time finding anyone who brought one.
Old 05-02-2001, 05:56 AM

The responses have been great so far. Thanks!

I'm taking this trip because I have always wanted to drive the Pacific Coast Highway from the Canadian border to the Mexican border and I have the time to do it right now, so I'm doing it. Since I wanted to see something different on one half of the trip, I decided to go inland a bit on one leg of the trip. I then noticed that by going a little bit further east in a couple of areas I could get to all of the western states. Then with a little more creativity, I figured out how to get to a few more national parks without adding many more miles.

The only big cities I plan to pass through are Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and Salt Lake City. I've already contacted some of the Utah group, since that's the only place I'll be staying for more than a few minutes. I'm specifically bypassing Seattle, taking a ferry to Vancouver Island, then another south from Victoria.

I just barely had the first service on my car, with an oil change, so it shouldn't need another oil change before I get back. I can't imagine the brake pads wearing out before the 10,000 mile mark (I'm just under 5000 now), although I'll be checking the tires closely. I'm expecting to need a new set when I return.

As for pictures, I'll probably take about 1000 pictures, since I have a digital camera with a microdrive and a 35mm cameral with a good zoom lens. I took 550 pictures on a trip I did a couple of weeks ago in the Midwest. I intend to put the whole trip on a web site when I get back, but that will definitely take a few days.

Thanks again for all of the useful hints.
Old 05-02-2001, 07:42 AM
jim

I just did a 3000 km. trip (2 days up & 2 days back..Madrid to the French Riviera). The car is a dream. After 10 hrs. driving I didn't have an ache or pain!

I took some extra oil. A funnel would be best if you're alone. You need someone else to hold the hood up real straight to pour oil at the back-end located hole with no funnel.

I had 7 kms. of dirt road on part of my trip...with the top down! Soons I got home I took a vacuum to every nook & cranny, and a hose to the outside! It'll kill you to see bugs plastered all over the front!

Have a good trip.

Quick Reply: Planning long trip, need advice