S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Pondering trading to a S, opinions?

Old 10-21-2011, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SweetLou
I appreciate all the input so far!

My primary concern is going to be finding a (or is it an?) s with everything solid mechanically, and reasonable miles. It's a bit daunting coming from a reliable (except for a few ac compressors) under warranty (although not for much longer).

i doubt most people here got there s from trade ins to the dealer, so I need to figure out how to transition between the two as I do not have a secondary vehicle.

But this is all much further down the road, Im going to keep searching, researching and find out really what Im looking for/if its feasible and take it from there.

Again thanks for all the input so far

edit: Im reading more about vandalism, and esp theft, I know thats a prob with convertibles in general, but are s' a bigger target for this? I do not park in a garage as of now.
They are pretty big theft targets in some areas. Seats, cluster, headlights, taillights, steering wheel, etc etc are all targets. If you live in a high theft area, I'd probably consider something else. A hardtop would help.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Things that worry me
1) I am not mechanically savy with cars (unfortunately never learned). So repairs or maintenance would have to be done at a shop (tuner or dealer). This car having been discontinued, how are repairs and maintenance price wise? Also I would have little Idea what to look for in buying a used one, but that would be applicable to all cars. Are there certain things to look for? (I know a little about VAG cars, but this would be stepping into a new world )
I haven't noticed any different in my shop bills from when the S was in production.

2) Actually driving: People say it is very unforgiving (at the limit or otherwise). While I would not be driving it anywhere near the limit for a while, people also say its hairy in the rain or adverse conditions, or even just on stock tires. In FL this would be a significant concern. (Although I have driven quick rwd cars ie 06 cayman s, 04 911, 07 z4 coupe 3.0is, c55amg among others).
It's more of a driver issue, really. Drive as is appropriate for your car and the conditions (i.e. slow down) and you'll be fine. We get tons of rain here in Houston as well. Factor in the cost of frequent tire replacements. Don't run on balding tires. Don't even let the threads run low if rain is a concern.

3) insurance : I have read both ends of the spectrum here, Im guessing policy and location have a lot to do with it, anyone in FL around my age have some knowledge?
The answer to this one is always: call and get quotes for yourself. There are too many variables at play to have any sort of meaningful discussion.

And, most importantly and as always: test drive, test drive, test drive. Don't overlook the countless other "considering an S" threads either.

Originally Posted by JLUDE
As a daily driver in a place like Florida that is flat with almost zero curvy roads I think the S2000 will be a let down.

The S2000 is only fun when you can push it once in awhile on a curvy road, the car has very little torque and that will be boring if you never rev the thing up but just commute back and forth with it.

My opinion. If all I did was commute back in forth on straight, flat highways I would get something else. Make sure you test drive one on the type of roads you will be commuting before committing to it.
...and to counter that: Houston's flat with mostly straight roads. I DD my S and love it though I have a very short commute and live near one of the twistiest roads (though people in the Texas Hill Country would laugh) in the city proper. I've taken many, many road trips to areas with better roads and have no regrets. YMMV, of course. I'd second the suggestion to test drive on your typical roads though.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:16 AM

Get at least insurance quotes from 3 companies. You'll be amazed at the huge difference in quote numbers on the same car! Something about the S2000.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:05 PM

Haha too funny! Your situation is just like I was in. I am 21 also and had previously owned a e36 328is which isn't as fast or expensive as an m3 but its only a step below. I Will never regret buying my S. Its really hard to even compare them because the feel is so much better but it also needs a driver who really knows how to drive because it is really unforgiving. Insurance wasn't really much of a jump either I think it was around 65 bucks more for 6 months(Thats if you have a clean driving record). Also don't worry too much about the rain you really just need to take it slow and make sure your tires aren't really worn if driving in bad conditions. Hope you end up buying a S!
Old 10-21-2011, 12:50 PM

It's a great little car, I got mine to daily drive so my STI could sit in the garage all day. I am a 23 year old male in Orlando Florida with a less than stellar driving record (speeding) and I pay $91 a month for full coverage and a $500 deductible.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:41 PM

Im reading some good things here.

Just some additional comments on what people have said; Insurance, not too concerned about this, I guess the insurance shock from being 16 and a new car hasn't quite left my mind.

Driving: It was a small concern at the most, but I just need to drive one and see how the vtec motor works(never driven one) and how the car in general handles. Im just used to low end power, torque heavy cars. I've driven some very tail happy cars and have had some scary ass-out moments, so I would obviously be very careful anyways first driving it.

I just found out my extended warranty doesnt end until '13, so I'll be with the current piece for a bit longer. I hit my local vw/honda stealership to see if they had a s, but no luck. I'm keeping my eyes peeled, and I will only learn more about the car until one pops up in my crosshairs.

Others I have in consideration: WRX (Prices are a bit too high on these right now from the searching I have done, most all of them are modified esp with boost, and high miles) GTI (good prices, easier to find, but parts are expensive). All of these are different animals, but the s is still first on that list unless an e46 m or 335 comes within reach. Saw a comp pkg m3 36k miles for 16.5 yesterday, clean record but still suspicious (had vf stage 2 sc before so who knows what shape then engine is in.)

Anyways, it will be an interesting search. No rush which is good
Old 10-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I daily drive mine and it is perfectly fine for my needs. I also never have more than one passenger. The only time this would ever be the case is going to lunch with friends during the work week and then we just take someone else's car or take multiple cars. In the summertime, I drive regardless of how many other people are going.

On to your numbered questions.

1) I'm not super mechanically inclined either. I've got all the theoretical knowledge in the world but when it comes to hands-on I can only do things up to oil changes/brake pad changes. Beyond this it goes to a shop. I've owned mine for about 1.5 years now (06 with 59k when bought, now at 76k). I have had zero instances of repairs being required. I've had it in a shop for a couple of upgrades and I've replaced my front brakes but I did that myself. Other than that it's just been fluid changes at recommended intervals. These cars are extremely reliable if you buy a good example. Try not to inherit someone else's problem car--get it inspected and try to find one with documented service history, and from an older couple if possible

2) The AP1s (00-03) can be the most unforgiving of the bunch and I don't have daily experience with one. They are apparently prone to snap oversteer due to spring rates from the factory. Even so, it comes down to the individual behind the wheel and to the life of the tires. If you keep fresh rubber on the car and if you are mindful of the road conditions/temperature and your own personal driving limits you will not have problems. The 06+ have VSA which goes beyond standard traction control and can also apply braking force to individual wheels. It's also very unintrusive unless you're on the race track pushing the car to 10/10ths (or if you have crap tires). VSA can really save your ass and the best part about it is that the light will display slightly before it engages, so the car literally tells you to stop being an asshole beforehand.

3) Not sure. Hope others can chime in. My insurance is reasonable but I'm over the 25-year mark with a perfect driving record.

If you want a car that is virtually unrivaled in feel, precision, and overall fun factor look no further. That is unless you can afford something exotic

And try to sell the VW before the extended warranty runs out if it's transferable. I personally would not touch an out-of-warranty VW if I were a buyer, but I'm biased against them a bit to begin with..
Old 10-24-2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by ITS N STI
It's a great little car, I got mine to daily drive so my STI could sit in the garage all day. I am a 23 year old male in Orlando Florida with a less than stellar driving record (speeding) and I pay $91 a month for full coverage and a $500 deductible.
I find it somewhat funny that you bought a pure sports car to daily drive while your 4 door (practical) sports sedan sits in the garage.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JLUDE
I find it somewhat funny that you bought a pure sports car to daily drive while your 4 door (practical) sports sedan sits in the garage.
Sounds like his priorities are straight to me. I wouldn't drive a sedan if I had one either.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:03 AM

I currently have a MKV GTI (an awesome practical car for college btw) and I'm looking to get into an AP2 S2000 as soon as I graduate.

From the sound of it, the S2000 is a dependable true sports car, which the GTI will never be. Test drive one and you'll know what I mean.

Quick Reply: Pondering trading to a S, opinions?