S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

A possible work-around for front license plate mount.

Old 11-25-2000, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my car used and it didnt have a front plate, and the dealer didnt say anything about my needing one...

Atleast thats the story I am going to use

Old 11-25-2000, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think there are regional differences in front plate license plate tickets. Like Fireslayer, the Wyoming law does make stops and fines JUST for that.

I have a custom plate on order, my amateur radio call, and I might just put the plate on for safety reasons, but first I'll try that suction cup thing with additional tape.

Thanks for all the comments, everyone. I'm going off line to add some more miles.

Barry - WT7T
'01 #52
Old 11-25-2000, 11:15 AM

In Missouri you're required to have front license plates too, but I requested for them not to put the brackets on. The car just looks so much cleaner, IMO. I figure I'll just take the chance, and if I get fined for it a couple times, then I'll just put em on. For the next month though, I'm safe.
Old 11-25-2000, 01:30 PM

i'd suggest color photocopying and laminating your front plate and tape to the inside of windshield.
Old 11-25-2000, 01:49 PM
Banned

I have seen some people put the plate behind the front grill. I have also seen people mount it on top of the fake duct on the driver's side.

FYI

Illinois requires a front plate. Of the times I have been pulled over, I have never gotten a ticket for it not being there. I started to carry it, just in case, and I will say that I am waiting on a mounting bracket from Japan before I can mount it...

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Old 11-25-2000, 02:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by gregstevens:
I started to carry it, just in case, and I will say that I am waiting on a mounting bracket from Japan before I can mount it...
Exactly, although I have not used the story with this car, I did a couple of times successfully with my Miata.
Old 11-25-2000, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In cali it is illegal, but I say fvck it!

If I get stopped for it, (never have in last 5 years), I will put it on, pay the $10 fix-it ticket and take it off when I get home.

I never known anyone who has had much of a problem with it.
Old 11-25-2000, 03:55 PM

got a $25 ticket (along with a $50 parking ticket) for not having the front mounted plate...still haven't put it on

Old 11-25-2000, 08:58 PM

Wonder if it's legal to modify the front plate itself... I've been thinking about cutting off the top and bottom protions of my front plate, basically ending up with a shorter, almost-euro-looking one and making a custom mounting bracket for it. Would look much better than standard (but, I agree, not as good as being completely absent)...
Old 11-26-2000, 05:48 AM

Cudos for Google. ( www.google.com ) I did a google search on "Wyoming front license plate law" and found"

"31-2-205. Display of license plates.

(a) License plates for vehicles shall be:

(i) Conspicuously displayed and securely fastened to be plainly visible:

(A) One (1) on the front of the vehicle, excluding motorcycles, trailers (including house trailers) and vehicles operated with dealer or manufacturer license plates issued pursuant to W.S. 31-2-301;

NOTE: Effective 1/1/98, this section will read as follows:

(A) One (1) on the front of the vehicle, excluding motorcycles, trailers (including house trailers) and vehicles operated with demo, full use or manufacturer license plates issued pursuant to W.S. 31-16-125;

(B) One (1) on the rear of the vehicle.

(ii) Secured to prevent swinging;

(iii) Attached in a horizontal position no less than twelve (12) inches from the ground;

(iv) Maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible. "

Barry
'01 #52

Quick Reply: A possible work-around for front license plate mount.