S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Premium vs. Regular

Old 03-10-2005, 07:28 AM

Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts

Shocked and Disgusted at both of you (87 users).

Think about this, though. The ECU will change the timing for you to eliminate knock when it detects it. Remember ... AFTER it detects it. You may not hear it but the sensor will catch it. The fuel is igniting at the wrong time when it knocks and it is a bad thing.

This engine is rather low on torque (don't start, people) but that is what we bought. This also means that it is often under a pretty heavy load when you are just tooling around town.

IMO, you are asking for trouble running 87 continuously.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:29 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Squeezer,Mar 10 2005, 10:10 AM
I take it to 9k all the time on 87, no problems, no knock, no hesitation, nothing. it runs fine on 87.
Performance will be lower. At least in theory. The ECU detects the occurance of knocks and compensates accordingly (at least that' my understanding).

And I'm pretty sure it doesn't compensate by increasing performance.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It'll run fine but once the ECU sees some knock, it will pull back timing and may even richen the air/fuel mixture. I would love to see a dyno of two cars that have been running premium for a week and then come back a week later after one of the cars has been running 87. I say a week later just to let the ECU aclimate to the 87.

This would be pretty difinitive. I say run what ever gas you want. It's none of my busines but if you are looking for max performance, you'll not run the risk of allowing the ECU to take it away from you.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BNavZ,Mar 10 2005, 07:53 AM
Come on...its a specialty sports car, at least give it some nice gas... If this were some run of the mill Honda or an "average" car, then yea giving it "average" gas would be fine. But it isn't your average car.

Uh... this is not a Civic motor under the hood so do NOT use Civic gas!
Old 03-10-2005, 08:01 AM
ayS

Originally Posted by Squeezer,Mar 10 2005, 02:40 PM
i've always used regular 87. 76k miles later and no problems.
hehe...
Old 03-10-2005, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Squeezer,Mar 10 2005, 08:10 AM
I take it to 9k all the time on 87, no problems, no knock, no hesitation, nothing. it runs fine on 87.
It will go to 9K on regular gas, but take longer to get there. When you run regular in a car designed for premium you reduce the HP output. Not to mention the potential long term damage to your car that others have mentioned.

Read up on the subject. You are wrong.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:59 AM

[QUOTE=Squeezer,Mar 10 2005, 08:10 AM] I take it to 9k all the time on 87, no problems, no knock, no hesitation, nothing.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:54 AM

In reality, you want to use the minimum octane rating needed to prevent detonation. 89 may be fine under most conditions but if engine temps go up, altitude increses etc you are more likely to encounter possibe engine damaging detonation. Another thing to think about, gas quality can vary a bit so poor 93 octane gas might still be at 90 octane or better while poor 87 or 89 octane gas might actually be ~85-87 octane.

Higher octane gas has an additional safety net over lower octane gas in a high compression engine like ours.

The ECU will adjust but as has been mentioned 1) will react to existing detonation (bad) and 2) will reduce performance somewhat.

Old 03-10-2005, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by youngjun91,Mar 10 2005, 10:59 AM
That proves nothing.

I believe my manual on my Integra GSR (which also requires premium fuel) explains this...it says in a pinch you can run it on 87, however, as others have mentioned, the ECU probably compensates for the lower octane to keep your engine from pre-detonating, but the car will not perform as it was designed.

The valve timing and compression ratio in the S2K was designed with a certain octane in mind. Try timing yourself in the quarter or race another S2K and you will learn for yourself. However, if the ECU has a programmed failsafe and does take into account people doing what you did, you may not have caused irreversible damage. But I wouldn't risk it.
Just a slight correction... the ECU doesn't know what fuel you are running at any given time. It compensates AFTER receiving the input from the knock sensor.

It only tries to minimize damage, it won't prevent the car from knocking in the first place.

Therefore, one good knock can destroy the motor. The sensor will have detected it and tried to compensate but by that time it's already too late. The S2000 probably has a pretty good knock-control system so it likely eliminates the knock before it becomes audible to the human ear. That doesn't mean it's not happening though. I'm willing to bet the car(s) running on 87 octane experience moderate to heavy knock everytime they are floored in VTEC.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Squeezer,Mar 10 2005, 10:10 AM
i doubt this. i can gaurantee you are suffering from detonation, however, your ecu adjusts your timing and compensates for this, because you've put the wrong gas in.

you may not notice anything, but you're losing power and still may be suffering from detonation.

if you do not put premium in your S2000 you are hurting your performance and possibly even your engine. i can't even believe this is a topic of discussion.

Quick Reply: Premium vs. Regular