S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Preventing holes in soft top - my solution

Old 10-31-2013, 11:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuanster
I got my black hole patch yesterday. I like the material it made out of . And how it match the color of the top. I put it on the inside of my top and you almost cannot tell there is a patch there unless you really look for it.
My only concern is I hope it will stay on the top and not unglued from the Floride heat during the summer months.
I just ordered mine.....I already have the TSB done, I just want to get this for preventative measures. ^^How did yours hold up to the heat in the summer?
Old 12-26-2013, 04:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates? Mine is thin in the offending areas. No tears yet but would like to keep it that way.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is great information - thanks for posting your repairs and pictures, everybody!
Old 10-30-2015, 02:56 PM

Received 110 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by AP1Driver
Took your awesome idea one step further: All the way from under the top latches and looping around the last bar.

Look at how the rubber gets rubbed on ^

I used the thinnest/most flexible cove base you can get ($2.5x per 3 foot(ish) piece at Home Depot). It works like a charm. It's flexible when cold and super flexible when it's hot outside. No one other than an avid S2 enthusiast would know it didn't come from Honda this way. I attached mine under the top latches with the screws running through the front edge. No more latch assemblies rubbing the inside of the cloth when it's down. And since it's black you don't notice it when the top's down at all. The rubber takes the brunt of contact from the top mechanism. I just replaced my top with a stay-fast cloth version and want it to last at least the next 8-10 years..
Great idea! I want to do this asap.

But, instead of using that "rubber base cove," can I just use a long strip of ballistic fabric instead? Or, does it really need to be flexible rubber?

I have black ballistic fabric coming in the mail soon (because I am planning to patch a tear with it); but, I was thinking ballistic fabric might work great too for your idea, after reading about it.. especially since it would blend in very nicely with the soft-top's fabric, since the two fabrics look very similar.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:36 PM

Took your awesome idea one step further: All the way from under the top latches and looping around the last bar.

I used the thinnest/most flexible cove base you can get ($2.5x per 3 foot(ish) piece at Home Depot). It works like a charm. It's flexible when cold and super flexible when it's hot outside. No one other than an avid S2 enthusiast would know it didn't come from Honda this way. I attached mine under the top latches with the screws running through the front edge. No more latch assemblies rubbing the inside of the cloth when it's down. And since it's black you don't notice it when the top's down at all. The rubber takes the brunt of contact from the top mechanism. I just replaced my top with a stay-fast cloth version and want it to last at least the next 8-10 years..
I just did your same technique, except I used a lot of left-over ballistic fabric I had (I only used a few square-inches of it for some patches, out of the huge 60”x36” sheet) . I figure it’ll be similarly effective in preventing tears, rips and holes; as it’ll take the friction and wear from the bars instead of the soft-top itself.

No glue, no tape, no velcro nor anything else was involved. Just 2 strips cut-out of the fabric. I made 2 strips - 5”x36” each (though, I think a 4.5” wide piece would fit a tad better).
Name:  image_zpsryzvom6t.jpeg
Views: 313
Size:  134.1 KB

For the front-end, I simply shoved and wedged it neatly here, in-between the frame thingy and soft-top fabric. I opened&close the top a couple times, and it stays in place.
Name:  image_zpsdwmglqwr.jpeg
Views: 334
Size:  179.6 KB

Here’s the front latch area when the top is down. The fabric is still in place and also blends in nicely.
Name:  image_zpsk0amnua3.jpeg
Views: 338
Size:  205.6 KB

Here’s the fabric-strip over the 3 bars.
Name:  image_zpsrknpewol.jpeg
Views: 346
Size:  154.4 KB

For the rear, I simply looped it around the 3rd bar, then back on top of the 2nd bar to wedge it in place. It too hold in place after a couple open&close tests. And, no glue/tape/velcro involved at all. There is enough friction/force in-between the 2nd bar and soft-top to keep it in place.
Name:  image_zpslkoaje2i.jpeg
Views: 354
Size:  179.0 KB

The other side (passenger-side).
Name:  image_zpsxcfcxeot.jpeg
Views: 329
Size:  201.6 KB

Pretty easy mod and it appears it would help a lot in preventing holes and rips, by taking all of the friction, rubbing and wear from the damaging 1st bar's tip and the 2nd bar's corner (instead of those bars rubbing onto the soft-top directly). And, it seems like it holds in place quite well (so far) without any glue/tape/velcro/sewing involved at all.

If anything, you can probably use 3M double-sided tape to keep the front-end of the strip better in place (eg: 3M tape placed b/n the front frame-thingy and the ballistic fabric strip - outta hold it well). But, the rear, seems to hold in place very well when it's looped then re-lodged/wedged on top of the 2nd bar.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jah2000:
BadgerS2000 (01-08-2018), suprajayaz (01-24-2017)
Old 11-04-2015, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a pretty great and non-invasive fix. Too bad my S2000 is way past the point of prevention. But damn, get you some Modifry straps! Your straps look like they're about to fall off anyway.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:02 PM

Haha, ya..my straps are "hanging on by a thread" ..literally.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jah2000
Originally Posted by AP1Driver' timestamp='1366261336' post='22481754

I just did your same technique, except I used a lot of left-over ballistic fabric I had (I only used a few square-inches of it for some patches, out of the huge 60”x36” sheet) . I figure it’ll be similarly effective in preventing tears, rips and holes; as it’ll take the friction and wear from the bars instead of the soft-top itself.

No glue, no tape, no velcro nor anything else was involved. Just 2 strips cut-out of the fabric. I made 2 strips - 5”x36” each (though, I think a 4.5” wide piece would fit a tad better).

For the front-end, I simply shoved and wedged it neatly here, in-between the frame thingy and soft-top fabric. I opened&close the top a couple times, and it stays in place.

Here’s the front latch area when the top is down. The fabric is still in place and also blends in nicely.

Here’s the fabric-strip over the 3 bars.

For the rear, I simply looped it around the 3rd bar, then back on top of the 2nd bar to wedge it in place. It too hold in place after a couple open&close tests. And, no glue/tape/velcro involved at all. There is enough friction/force in-between the 2nd bar and soft-top to keep it in place.

The other side (passenger-side).

Pretty easy mod and it appears it would help a lot in preventing holes and rips, by taking all of the friction, rubbing and wear from the damaging 1st bar's tip and the 2nd bar's corner (instead of those bars rubbing onto the soft-top directly). And, it seems like it holds in place quite well (so far) without any glue/tape/velcro/sewing involved at all.

If anything, you can probably use 3M double-sided tape to keep the front-end of the strip better in place (eg: 3M tape placed b/n the front frame-thingy and the ballistic fabric strip - outta hold it well). But, the rear, seems to hold in place very well when it's looped then re-lodged/wedged on top of the 2nd bar.
Greetings s2kers, I wanted to bump this old thread to see if anybody else has tried this and how the long term results have been? I think this looks like a great non-invasive, easy, yet effective reinforcement to prevent wear and tears along the whole top left and right sides of the softtop.

Any comments on what's better, the rubber cove molding or ballistic fabric? What to make sure the material is flexible and allows the base softtop mechanical movement without causing any binding or extra stress?

I just bought a 2002 s2k 6months ago still on original top and there are no tears yet, so I am doing this purely for prevention and reinforcement. I also ordered new modifry straps and may add some tape/lizard skins to the elbows also after sanding. Thanks!!
Old 09-21-2016, 01:39 PM

Also is their any thoughts that softtop needs to breath a little, in which case maybe1680d fabric would make a better solution. As the rubber is totally impervious to airflow , is there any thought that the rubber could cause the softtop to hold moisture if used and/or cause this area to wear and look differently overtime? I think my top pick is to use the 1680d ballistics fabric , in approximately a 5"x36" size... But I could be wrong?
Old 09-22-2016, 07:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

man mind making a quick video on how u made and installed this

as well as a link to the materials used?

that would be great to have in helping n00bs like me understand the problem areas and how and why to address it early.

Quick Reply: Preventing holes in soft top - my solution