S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Price check on stock ap2 with 1 accident?

Old 07-12-2020, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price check on stock ap2 with 1 accident?

Hi,

I'm in need of a larger car and would like a price check on my nearly stock '05 ap2.

Color: sebring w/ red + black interior
Mileage: 117xxx

Mods and accesories:
K&N intake
Clear JDM side markers
Red Type r Honda badges
Euro/20th Anniversary style full-length carpets
Skunk Racing shift knob
Bluetooth Alpine head unit interfaced via Modifry DCI

Pros:
- Perfect compression as of 100k miles (238-245 on each cylinder)
- Never had any mechanical issues
- Billman TCT
- Billman valve adjustment
- Factory clutch still going strong (could also be a con?)
- Red/black interior
- soft top replaced 2014, in perfect condition

Cons:
- Hefty accident resulting in replacement of drivers side door, rocker panel, and rear quarter panel (somehow, the shop purchased the original VINs so it still has 10/10 matching VINs).
- Repairs were done by a really reputable shop and no frame/mechanical damage was reported. Fitment and alignment appears to be unaffected.
- Minor scratch on drivers side door (from parking lot hit and run)
- Seats, steering wheel shows wear consistent with age
- occasional rattling sound from heat shield; this is not very audible

Last edited by moneybadger; 07-13-2020 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:39 AM

Received 1,157 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Advertise it at $14,500 with those miles. Cosmetics will be important but you didn't post photos.

Car appears to have spent it's early life here in Richmond and is probably pretty rust free.

Still prime selling season here and since you're up around DC there should be lots of buyers. If you advertise it here kill your "I'm thinking" price.

-- Chuck
The following users liked this post:
moneybadger (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 08:49 AM

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

You cannot purchase the parts with original VIN...Shop probably took off that VIN sticker and glue it onto new parts? They probably should not have done that.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:50 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You can’t purchase “vin numbers”
if all those vins match with what’s in the title then those parts were fixed and not replaced.
randomwalk101 (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 09:32 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

I think 14k is even high.
I bought mine with 57k on it with no accidents and in very good condition for 17k 4 years ago.
I'd say yours sounds more like a 12k car IMO if it's had substantial repairs and with those miles. Sounds also like the seats are very worn as with steering wheel which is a big turn off (at least to me).
Old 07-13-2020, 10:41 AM

Received 1,157 Likes on 1,012 Posts

But the way the automobile price game is played everyone expects to get the seller to drop the price so asking $14,500 (or whatever) is how it works. Buyer sets the price and will probably offer lower.

Someone posted a "take it or leave it" price for another old car earlier today. Wasn't an asking price. It was The Price. I'm curious how that works out.

-- Chuck
Old 07-13-2020, 04:18 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Hello @moneybadger , to receive more solid advice I would recommend that you post up some current photos of the car. Based on the details that you've supplied so far, the shop that worked on the car sounds shady (regardless of the quality of the work performed). If I were in your shoes, I would likely list the car at the value the Carfax report supports: $14,450. Not that Carfax is the be-all, end-all by any means, but it is a starting point that anyone can reference. You can expect that people are likely going to drive the asking price down by a good amount given the car's history so your own guesstimate might well be in line with reality.

The other reality in this case is that prices paid 4 years ago (as in the case of @MrFunk ) or even just 3 years ago (as in my case) are really no longer of value to someone selling or buying one of these cars today. S2000 values have seen a notable increase so far this year. For example, just today over on bringatrailer.com a 2005 in Silverstone over black/red with 66K miles and one missing VIN sticker (front bumper cover of course) sold for $22K (the buyer paid $23.2K including the auction fees). S2000's aren't the only cars appreciating lately as values of classic/collector/enthusiast cars are up across the board these days. (Not exactly surprising if you stop to actually look at new cars on the market today.) We are fast approaching the end of the prime time to sell a convertible so the sooner you make a decision and put the car on the market the better.
moneybadger (07-13-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 05:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree on the value point. I belong to a couple of FB groups and guys post in them all of the time s2ks that they are considering or just purchased (of course all are ecstatic). And many of them pay $10-$12k for cars that have seen much better days (rust, beat up bodies, ripped seats, high mileage, torn tops).
Old 07-14-2020, 12:35 PM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

My last comments here.
How you market and sell and advertise the car will influence the cost dramatically.
Crappy pictures of a filthy vehicle with coke cans and muddy floor mats will tell a story of a not so well taken care of car... vs the exact same car properly detailed and cleaned and pics taken in front of a nice house (perhaps yours, perhaps not) may paint a different story.
The accident if properly described and with repair properly explained with supporting documents can reduce the impact of the hit on price if done right...
People will decide and mentally purchase the car upon first impressions - pictures. They will make up their mind before they even come see the car.

I agree - just list it for 14k and see what you get.
GuthNW (07-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 12:38 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

All excellent points made by @MrFunk .

Quick Reply: Price check on stock ap2 with 1 accident?