S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Problem when reinstalling steering wheel

Old 12-31-2005, 05:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Problem when reinstalling steering wheel

first off happy new years to all in the s2k community.

Here is my dilemma. I just purchased a new steering wheel and installed it myself. Everything seem to be going good. Followed the instructions and had to play with the original steering wheel to come off but worked out fine. The problem I encountered is when installing the new steering wheel, and putting all the connections back, everything works except my srs is lit up in the speedometer. I disconnected the battery again and checked the connection to it and seemed fine. I was going to check the fuse tomorrow but what else could it be that would have that sensor going off. For the airbag, there is only one plug. Also, with the light on, should I remove the airbag just in case it deploys for some reason if there is some connection problem.

Thanks for any help
Old 12-31-2005, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you unplug the negative cable from your battery when you took off your steering wheel? did you plug the srs plug back in before you started up the car? i've had mine come on when i installed the monitor in my dash, just because i was too excited to test it out and forgot to plug the srs passenger airbag in. i ended up ordering a plug from the dealer that was about $15 to reset the srs system. i'm out of town at the moment, so i don't have my manual with me. hopefully someone can chime in to find the part number for you, but that little part was looped from one end to the other on the same plug. i hope that helps, if not, i think you may have to buy another plug, depending if the first plug wasn't the problem, from the dealer to fix it. good luck!
jt
Old 12-31-2005, 09:00 PM

Well, initially i did remove the negative plug from the battery. But I got into a situation which I couldn't remove the steering wheel so I just plug it back in to drive to a autostore to get a universal steering wheel remover. The light was on when I was driving since I didn't have the airbag pluged in. Then I unplugged the negative again and installed everything. When I plugged the battery again, I thought that would go away but It never did. So your saying it might need to be reset?
Old 12-31-2005, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you turn the wheel mount (cable reel) w/ the wheel off??
If you turned the SRS mechanism (cable reel) that allows the wires to run to the wheel, w/ the wheel off, you may have broken the cable reel.

#2 in the picture, has the three wire leads coming out of it, upper left hand corner were #10 screw is.
Did you turn this AT ALL during installation? It only can turn about 3 clicks either way. It has to be centered w/ installation, if not...

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/j...tcgry5=SRS+UNIT
$149.30 from Honda.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you need a SRS reset. It is done via the yellow MES connector located inside the cabin fusebox. There is detailed information as well as the actual page from the helms manual posted in these forums. Search "SRS" or "SRS Reset". good luck
Old 01-01-2006, 01:03 PM

How would I know if I messed up the cable. Would it be noticible. And also what is it that could break the cable when removing the steering wheel.
Thanks
Old 01-01-2006, 06:24 PM

Why not just pull the SRS DTC that way you would actually know what wrong instead of just guessing? You can both pull your code and reset it with a paperclip. I still think you may just need a reset. The most simple explaination is usually the right one (not always) and I think reseting the SRS light may be required when swapping steering wheels and airbags and what not. It actually has to do with the system being disconnected from power at all. A low or dying battery can trigger an SRS light from my understanding. If your worried pull the SRS DTC. good luck
BTW I'm pretty sure with SRS light ON your airbags will NOT deploy in the event of a collision.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:07 PM

The only thing I did when removing the steering wheel was behind the steering wheel, there was a srs lable with an up arrow pointing how it is suppose to be. I just made sure it was pointing up. Is that ok, Im going to get the instructions to reset the srs light since it might just be that. But just in case its broken, would I notice something different. Like when turning the steering wheel or turning the steering wheel with the car off or something. Thanks
Old 01-01-2006, 10:13 PM

I don't know what to look for as far as tell tale signs of physical damage. I can tell you if the SRS light is reset and a problem persists the SRS light will come back on the next time you turn on the ignition anyway.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:32 PM

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but had a little problem recently, originally, the srs reset did the trick.

My srs light came on again, reset it and it keeps on coming back. Is there anything I need to check for, havent taken out the steering wheel since my last problem. Only thing is that a tow trucker when putting my car on the lift was trying to turn the wheel with the car off and eventually got stuck on him.

Other than that, dont know what it can be. First time i reset it, lasted 2 days and then the light came back on. Last couple of times, reset the light and it comes on right away.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Problem when reinstalling steering wheel