S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Question about Caliper Painting

Old 08-25-2003, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lahight
[B]The S2000 decal on your car looks awesome!
Old 08-25-2003, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

April and I have both used the G2 system with GREAT results. True, painting with a brush is more work than spraying but I think it comes out better as well. You have to take the wheels off, but that's not a big deal. Also, if you want caliper decals, PM ryanITV. His girlfriend Amanda makes them and look phenominal.
Here are some pics....
Mine

April's
Old 08-25-2003, 05:13 PM

I actually would not recommend grinding/smoothing out the calipers if you use the g2 system or similar brush on paint.

I did grind. Looks great, but I have no doubt that the g2 paint is thick enough to level out any casting marks or imperfections. I actually did about 8 thin coats before I got tired. still had some paint left.

take your time, put the coats on thin, and remember that pictures are not necessarily accurate depictions. Mine are almost a perfect ferrari red, but look slightly orange on the digital photos.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=131088
Old 08-25-2003, 05:51 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by genghiskwong
[B]I actually would not recommend grinding/smoothing out the calipers if you use the g2 system or similar brush on paint.

I did grind.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:46 AM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

BTW, if you're going to go through all the trouble of unbolting your calipers to paint them, you should also take the time to do something about the rust on your rotors. You can get replacement rotors that are plated (Cadmium or Zinc washed), or you can sand off the visible rust and get a can of high-temp paint. Make sure you paint the vents on the front rotors, too. Some people have painted theirs silver, but I just painted mine black to hide the red rust.

If you don't do this, then painting your calipers will just draw attention to the rusty rotors.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:23 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by genghiskwong
[B]I actually would not recommend grinding/smoothing out the calipers if you use the g2 system or similar brush on paint.

I have to disagree. Although grinding/smoothing the caliper is not necessary, and may not make a difference to the eye at a distance, up close their is a huge difference!!! The rough texture of the casting makes the paint job look like orange peel, where by smoothing the casting, the finished product looks more like it has been powder coated.

I do agree however that if you have taken the time to remove the caliper (which is not necessary), the over aesthetics of the job can be enhanced by painting the calipers.

Taking the extra time to prep the calipers is not a waste if you are detail oriented, and appreciate the appearance of a quality job. Just my .02 cents, no flames intended
Old 08-26-2003, 04:35 AM

did you guys grind the calipers while they were on the car? and if so what tool did you use?
Old 08-26-2003, 04:56 AM

I actually like the texture of the calipers...maybe I'm a weirdo
Old 08-26-2003, 05:08 AM
Former Moderator

Originally posted by EssTooKayTD
I actually like the texture of the calipers...maybe I'm a weirdo
Maybe?
Old 08-26-2003, 05:10 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by StknCaS2k
[B]
Originally posted by genghiskwong
I actually would not recommend grinding/smoothing out the calipers if you use the g2 system or similar brush on paint.

I have to disagree. Although grinding/smoothing the caliper is not necessary, and may not make a difference to the eye at a distance, up close their is a huge difference!!! The rough texture of the casting makes the paint job look like orange peel, where by smoothing the casting, the finished product looks more like it has been powder coated.

I do agree however that if you have taken the time to remove the caliper (which is not necessary), the over aesthetics of the job can be enhanced by painting the calipers.

Taking the extra time to prep the calipers is not a waste if you are detail oriented, and appreciate the appearance of a quality job. Just my .02 cents, no flames intended
I sanded my fronts with the Dremmel, but wore down the sander by the time I got to the back and you can't tell the difference. I applied 4 coats of paint and then high temp finish and both front and rears are very smooth.

Quick Reply: Question about Caliper Painting