S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Question about seats/car theft

Old 06-16-2008, 05:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Question about seats/car theft

I've searched the forum and read pretty much everyone's horrific 'stolen seats' threads. I was wondering though, when do most of these thefts occur? Overnight? Would driving my S around and parking it in a shopping mall parking lot in daytime pose a threat? Most of the time I go shopping with the gf or park the car on the side road at her house until midnight.

What are the chances the car/seats will be gone sometime soon? It's an '07.
Does it matter where you live? (I'm in Brampton, Ontario, Canada)
Where's the safest place to park when in public areas?

Thanks
Old 06-16-2008, 06:43 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

depending on what area u live. in my city, i can roll down all the windows, leave the car outside, and unlock all the doors for the whole day. i can also drive it out without targa, and leave it in a parking lot without worry.

in some other areas, i even think i need to take the steering wheel away after i parked my nsx.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think seat theft can happen anywhere, but definitely more so in an urban area. Parking your car on the street at night is probably asking for it. Most of us do not think with a criminal mind, so we are always caught by surprise. I would never leave my windows or top down unattendedat any hour of the day. Besides people, just think what a cat or raccoon could do to your interior.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:18 AM

I'd have to say 3am is when the tweekers are definately active, looking for anything to steal, although some jack sses will steal an entire vehicle during mid day in a crowded parking lot. Think of your car as a wide screen TV, would you leave it out of eyesight and unsecure somewhere? Also, don't count on the "I dont want to get involved" public to watch your car for you...
Old 06-16-2008, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In reality, the theft can happen anytime of the day but mostly at night. Remember, they have probably been watching you for awhile on how you leave your car and thinking their best opportunity without being caught. I'm pretty sure there are areas you know that are safe with leaving your top down for hours, while other areas you just have to check on it every few minutes. Really, you can't prevent it from happening, but take precautions and make it harder for them. That's all you can really do.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

theft can happen any time and any where. you could be in the nicest most crime free place and it could still happen. get a hardtop. get some seatlocks. dont live in florida.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you could get a bolt that has a unique top to prevent this kinda thing. I have a bride Maxis and Vios and often leave my top down in my ug parkade or while parked at a meter.....never had an issue
Old 06-16-2008, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by shotiable,Jun 16 2008, 11:58 AM
theft can happen any time and any where. you could be in the nicest most crime free place and it could still happen. get a hardtop. get some seatlocks. dont live in florida.
also, garage is best. it's also true about florida.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:45 PM

I dont know how it is where you live, but in most areas of So Cal if you left your car with top down for an extended period of time you would probably end up with stoling seats or maybe a vandilized interior

I have a hard top and mis matched seats so I am not really too worried about it, and it seems like less and less civics and integras are rocking S2000 seats (I think that trend has died out a little bit... Thank God )

I dont worry about mine much, I park in veiw of security camera's at work and in the garage most of the time at home.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember a warning for Corvette owners back in the 80's.
"IN NYC ,thers is a Corvette stolen every 30 minutes." Which translates to any owner who parks his/her Vette on a public street for one hour and returns to find that his car is still there means someone elses Vette was stolen twice.
A little off topic maybe but the wisdom is there. You should have at least an idea or a feeling of safe/unsafe in any area or city that you decide to park in. If your in a strange city, you may need to get a little creative in finding an overnight spot to park especially if for some reason you can't park your car in full view of your motel room.

Quick Reply: Question about seats/car theft